HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2011, 10:58 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Well I got both of my Pico Moths touched up and refinished this weekend. Just need to solder up an ESC for one of them and get the wings for the other one - should be done this week.

Also started on a Beaver build - I have a fuse and tail feathers slope set. Wings should be here later this week

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2011, 11:01 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
Rob, I'm not saying it won't work, just that it may not be as efficient as a stiffer one ( no off colour jokes please ) and may be more prone to breakage - ouch!
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Nov 07, 2011, 11:16 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
Hmmm! Thanks for reminding me that I can't get a Beaver any more Wolfe

Given that HK say they are bringing out an updated replacement for the PicoMoth I asked for an updated version of the GWS Beaver. But they say the Beaver has been "done to death". I dispute this, at least in terms of foamies, and I'm only aware of two "crunchy" Beavers, one sold by HK themselves which is not wonderful and the expensive E-Flite one. Anyone know where I can get a foamie Beaver other than GWS? Am I to be chained to a fence and compelled to consider a Multiplex FunCub as the only real alternative

When you go to the old GWS forum and see that most of the activity these days is restricted to the boss and his mate Roger promoting servos that no-one wants to buy when they could be talking about a new Beaver with moulded wings, ailerons and maybe even flaps, and a decent landing gear set-up and a b/l outrunner motor with a dummy radial motor it makes me want to kick them all from here to I don't know where...

Cashflow is always the excuse but it surely wouldn't cost much to retool the wing and to come up with a decent landing gear?
Old Nov 07, 2011, 01:21 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Heya Roger,

If you can order from BP Hobbies you can get a fuse and full tail feather set for under 15 bucks - then you just need to come up with a wing

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=A3327708

I am guessing there are some replacement part wings from other models that would work. I would think a Multiples Mini Mag wing would work pretty well if you could find on of those

Wolfe
Last edited by wolfewinde; Nov 07, 2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2011, 03:49 PM
United States, IA, Greenfield
Joined Apr 2010
579 Posts
Thought I would give ya'll an update on my Spitty I tried to maiden her on the stock brushed motor and a 2 cell 1300.

MAIDEN
I gave her a toss and she began declining into the grass. She needs more power!! I checked my battery and it was at around 3/4 charge.

I am charging her back up and am going to give her another go!

SECOND MAIDEN

I headed out again with the Spitty with a full charge. Gave her a toss, and away she flew it was sweet! She had plenty of power for a brushed on 2 cell. I was doing laps around the field! I believe it was a successful $40.

I did have to tone down the elevator and ailerons quite a bit, but after that I was happy with how it flew! I am a fan of the GWS for sure! Thanks guys for the help. I will keep ya'll updated with the Spitty

Thanks again, Brandon
Lilbanks96 is offline Find More Posts by Lilbanks96
Last edited by Lilbanks96; Nov 07, 2011 at 04:55 PM. Reason: SECOND MAIDEN!!!
Old Nov 07, 2011, 05:30 PM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilbanks96 View Post
Thought I would give ya'll an update on my Spitty I tried to maiden her on the stock brushed motor and a 2 cell 1300.

MAIDEN
......................I did have to tone down the elevator and ailerons quite a bit, but after that I was happy with how it flew! I am a fan of the GWS for sure! Thanks guys for the help. I will keep ya'll updated with the Spitty

Thanks again, Brandon
Well done Brandon. I'm glad you're pleased with it. Always good to see a new convert.

Not to say "I told you so" but from my post #80

"Also make sure that you set the elevator movement right down - this bird is very pitch sensitive. Having said that, once set up she's a beautiful flyer and a definite floater coming in "dead stick".

Depends on your definition of underpowered, the 350 brushed motor on a 2s will give it much more peformance than the original kit which was intended to run on 6 or 7 Nicad or Nimh cells. May be no bad thing to get it set up and get comfortable with it before worrying too much about stuffing more power in there."
Old Nov 07, 2011, 05:36 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Hi Roger & Wolfe,

I was told that GWS is going to release the old Beaver in EPO kit. Probably this is the reason why you could not find out the EPS Beaver.

Chen
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen
Old Nov 07, 2011, 05:36 PM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
Heya Roger,

If you can order from BP Hobbies you can get a fuse and full tail feather set for under 15 bucks - then you just need to come up with a wing

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=A3327708

I am guessing there are some replacement part wings from other models that would work. I would think a Multiples Mini Mag wing would work pretty well if you could find on of those

Wolfe
Wings would be the least of my problem - the UK dealer carries spare wings, cowls and plastic wing joiners. It's the rest that's difficult and thanks for your suggestion but shipping to the UK from most US dealers is Not Good!

Caliber Hobby are showing Beaver wings and tail feathers for $7.50 a set. Does that solve your problem or are they out of stock?

http://www.caliberhobby.com/beaver_parts.html
Old Nov 07, 2011, 05:50 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Out of stock at Caliber, Roger

That would be nice, Chen, but I will believe it when I see it.

I am good on Beavers now - assuming Caliber comes through - but i just think they would sell if they were available. I know about 6 beginners that would probably buy one - there must be many, many others.

Brandon - grats on the good flights - that Spitfire is a honey for sure

Wolfe
Old Nov 07, 2011, 05:56 PM
United States, IA, Greenfield
Joined Apr 2010
579 Posts
Haha Wolfewinde you called it!
Lilbanks96 is offline Find More Posts by Lilbanks96
Old Nov 07, 2011, 05:58 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
As an aside, did you guys know that the Tiger Moth was used on a couple of bombing runs in WWII? Apparently they carried eight 20lb bombs - 4 under each wing. I might have to make a Tiggy Bomber.

Wolfe
Last edited by wolfewinde; Nov 07, 2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2011, 06:00 PM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twn Chen View Post
Hi Roger & Wolfe,

I was told that GWS is going to release the old Beaver in EPO kit. Probably this is the reason why you could not find out the EPS Beaver.

Chen
Hi Chen, good to see you here. It would be sooooo easy, and surely not expensive, to do the job right...?

From my earlier post:

"When you go to the old GWS forum and see that most of the activity these days is restricted to the boss and his mate Roger promoting servos that no-one wants to buy when they could be talking about a new Beaver with moulded wings, ailerons and maybe even flaps, and a decent landing gear set-up and a b/l outrunner motor with a dummy radial motor it makes me want to kick them all from here to I don't know where..."
Old Nov 07, 2011, 06:02 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
As another aside, in case you want really good motors for GWS birds, look at these. They aren't cheap, but they really last and they are perfect for GWS stick mounts.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page
HiMax 2025 and 2015 geared
http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-26.html

Plus - they growl at you a little when they come flying by - very cool - I get tired of silent outruners

Wolfe
Old Nov 07, 2011, 06:08 PM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
You go with the bombs Wolfe

350 Tiger Moths were fitted with bomb racks to serve as light bombers as a part of Operation Banquet. A more radical conversion involved the "paraslasher," a scythe-like blade fitted to a Tiger Moth and intended to cut parachutists' canopies as they descended to earth. Flight tests proved the idea, but it was not officially adopted.

I'll go with the paraslasher. Not to slash parachutes - "I say chaps that sounds a frightfully un-English and unsporting thing to do, what?". I want to deter one or two guys at the flying field. Keep the clear of me or I'll slash their wings....
Old Nov 07, 2011, 06:11 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Hi Roger,

Totally agreed with your words, but I do not think that they are going to upgrade those parts but the fuselage and possibly the wings. I was told that all of the wings of Pico Tiger Moth, Beaver/Cub will be moulded in EPO. More reinforcements might be needed if they really get the PTM's wings moulded in EPO, while indoor flyers might hate to see a heavier PTM.

Chen
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen