SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 06, 2012, 08:49 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
I use the DX7s, and it is because I use the orange receivers. Have noticed that occasionally they don't light up solid when you connect the battery, so you have to disconnect and try again.

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2012, 09:31 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Sooooooo..... I am bored.

So I was reviewing my flight logs for the past year - about how long I have been flying again after 4 years off. Probably flew for 5 years before that at least, so lets say 6 or 7 active "Flight Years"

In the past year, these are my GWS Flights...

Pico Moth - 36, Moth 400 - 21, Stearman - 13, Mosa 1 - 38, Mosa 2 - 34. Total = 142 GWS Flights plus a few on the P-40

In my previous "Flight life" I flew a lot more GWS planes including - Slow Stick, Pico Cub, Pico Stick, Spitfire, Corsair, Zero, ME-109, P-51 Mustang, Beaver, E-Starter plus previous versions of all the planes I am flying now. I flew multiple renditions of those airplanes a lot for 5 years.

So I am guessing that I must have at least 500 flights on GWS planes, probably more.

Which means nothing, except that I still fly them and still like them a lot. Which says something about how good these planes have been for a very, very long time

Wolfe
Last edited by wolfewinde; Apr 06, 2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 10:08 PM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
If you are bored than I think you should put my Mosa 2 together...

Or, we can do group flying in the SIM over the net (I think RF does it tough that is not the SIM I use) .

I just finished reviewing 40 mins of flight video footage from last week ahead of tomorrow and now I'm bored! Sufficiently uneventful to post (even the last landing without one wheel that fell off mid-flight).

I also use the DX7s (and really like it). I am assuming you programmed a motor kill switch and tied the throttle to the timer...
I just ordered an Orange Rx as well but with the auxiliary 2nd receiver (which cost more then the primary ) so maybe that will help.

You are in fact a GWS frequent flier and I think they should send you a reward. What would you like? As you know, they do monitor these threads...

Did you ever consider participating in their early Beta program? I wonder if it is still going on in the US.

The forecast calls for 12 to 14 mph tomorrow, but you know I am going...
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 06, 2012, 10:23 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
LOL

I didn't program a kill switch and I didn't tie the throttle to the timer. I use the trainer switch to start the timer and I prefer to KNOW that everything is HOT all the time so I only get bit when I act stupid and not when the radio acts stupid. I have been bitten a few times because I am occasionally that stupid.

Winds are at least that high here tomorrow. I might give some thought to flying the Swift and the Mosa 2 just to see how they handle that much wind.

I would rather maiden my new Dynam Catalina, but i hate to wreck it right off the bat. I ignored my own rule and actually spent a fair amount of time setting this one up. I guess I could just get a good book and watch it float around in the swimming pool and see if it sinks. http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-d8943-catalina-arf.html

I was also doing some looking for possible new blood - this one http://ecsvr.com/abm/shopexd.asp?id=2441 and this one http://www.airborne-models.com/html/...p?ProductID=64

Had these a long time ago and both flew very well - that Miss America Mustang is probably one of my top 3 all time favorites. I had over 100 flights on her when I finally wrecked her doing inverted eye level figure eights with a roll at the cross over point. Rolled her right into the ground, finally. Balsa planes don't do real well on inverted cartwheel landings LOL.

I would love to participate in a GWS beta program - not sure if they still have one, though.

Wolfe
Last edited by wolfewinde; Apr 06, 2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 10:57 PM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
There you go: http://www.gwsus.com/english/service/earlybird.htm

Not sure if it is still going on (I suspect not?) but nothing to lose by sending them an email. In the process of getting the link I came across this interesting thread.
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 07, 2012, 06:11 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Sorry to disappoint you but I'm absolutely certain there's nothing in the pipeline. GWS have even let their PicoMoth become destocked in the USA. Unhappily that tells me that either they have lost the plot completely or they're simply out of resources.

I cut my r/c flying teeth on GWS product and I still think that they have a market niche. There are very few makers of foam kits and what I mean by that is the traditional "build it yourself" kit except the major structure is assembled from foam pieces rather than wooden pieces. In fact Windrider is the only significant sized company that springs to mind in the Park Flyer arena. GWS did that very well - as well, or better than, anyone else. Where they were not as competitive was in their electronics. Nothing wrong with the servos in particular but they have just had their market gobbled up completely by cheaper (and in most customers' eyes just as serviceable) electronics and electrics.

The early bird scheme was just a mechanism by which you could order a new product direct from the factory rather than by having to wait for it to ship by sea to the US, Oz or European dealers. They very effectively discouraged people from buying direct from the factory by refusing to install a secure payment system, apparently reasoning that the 99.99999999999% of online retailers who had installed it were wasting their time. Ha!

And I've never heard of a beta model getting into a customers' hands. A beta model implies that it gets evaluated in the field, necessary improvements are identified and incorporated in the production run. They may have had their own engineers evaluate pre-production models but I can't remember any instance of a customer saying they'd been involved.
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Apr 07, 2012, 10:53 AM
The Netherlands, ZH, Wassenaar
Joined Sep 2010
854 Posts
Wolfe,

I don't have a good runway for an ROG takeoff so for tomorrow's remaiden of my 'Mosa I'm forced to hand lanuch. Any tips? medium or hard throw w/45 degree angle? I'm worried about torque roll with too high a motor speed. Do you ever hand launch your heavy Mosas and if so are there any peculiarities such as starting with 5 rights of aileron?
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres
Old Apr 07, 2012, 11:15 AM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeabres View Post
Wolfe,

I don't have a good runway for an ROG takeoff so for tomorrow's remaiden of my 'Mosa I'm forced to hand lanuch. Any tips? medium or hard throw w/45 degree angle? I'm worried about torque roll with too high a motor speed. Do you ever hand launch your heavy Mosas and if so are there any peculiarities such as starting with 5 rights of aileron?
I launch mine underhand at about 10 degree up angle and neutral trim. You can tell when it wants to fly as you increase throttle.
The trick is giving it a straight push and keep the wings level. I usually take a practice push or two before I power up to make sure I'm keeping it level.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Apr 07, 2012, 11:22 AM
who put that tree there
Joined Jun 2010
808 Posts
tm 400 epo ,ive sorted the wheels epoxied in ply plate attached new l/g,took of the stick mount epoxied a ply plate with short carbon rods going in to fuze.
got balance on rear struts finally with out adding useless weight.
e-flite park 450,10x7e prop,2200mah 3 cell.
its heavy..................27oz
wing cube loading reads 5.4 so should be ok.
just if the weather will let up for an hour,
dazza44 is offline Find More Posts by dazza44
Old Apr 07, 2012, 11:29 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Leabres - I never hand launch so can't help with that one. Best would probably be to have someone else launch it so you can start with both hands on the sticks

Dazza - good luck on the maiden - let us know how it goes

Pretty windy here today - predicted to get down to 11 - 14 mph late afternoon - might give that a try and see how the Mosa 2 does and the T1 Swift

Wolfe
Last edited by wolfewinde; Apr 07, 2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old Apr 07, 2012, 11:54 AM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post

Pretty windy here today - predicted to get down to 11 - 1 mph late afternoon - might give that a try and see how the Mosa 2 does and the T1 Swift

Wolfe
15 to 20 here all weekend

See if I can get a video of the underhand launch Mosa..... If I ever get to fly again.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Apr 07, 2012, 12:10 PM
The Netherlands, ZH, Wassenaar
Joined Sep 2010
854 Posts
Thanks all for the hand launch tips. To borrow from the English poet Thomas Norton, my general rule for maiden flights - "Hope for the best and prepare for the worst"
In other words, have tape, gorilla glue, etc, on hand.
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres
Old Apr 07, 2012, 02:49 PM
who put that tree there
Joined Jun 2010
808 Posts
just back from maiden with tm400 it went well needed more nose weight.
good flight time around 15mins, half throttle was all it needed and came in for perfect landing..
auw is 29oz now,so i might extend the motor out to lose some of that weight.
otherwise was pleased with the flight..
dazza44 is offline Find More Posts by dazza44
Old Apr 07, 2012, 02:53 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
GRats on the maiden, Dazza

Wolfe
Old Apr 07, 2012, 08:47 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Had the 2 Mosas and the Techone Swift out tonight for a few batteries each. Winds were supposed to be 11 - 14 mph - I guess that was about what they were, at least the gusts were in that range.

All three flew pretty well but the Mosa 1 was getting bounded around pretty good. The Mosa 2 and the Swift did noticably better.

Wolfe