SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 06, 2012, 01:12 PM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,692 Posts
Let me know if you ever come up to fly in Ives Estates or Markham and I'll join you...

I know it is shallow, but I am with you on the profile thing. This is why I was drawn to the Mosa in the first place (i.e. it is foam but also looks "scale"). Just yesterday I came across another cool foam one: an sbach 324 (both NP and HK has one)
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2012, 02:37 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,692 Posts
Will anyone who created a plywood motor mount box for the Mosa 2 be able to post its dimensions? I am eager to get started on it this weekend before getting the model next week.

Alternatively, if anyone is using a stock motor mount like this GP one or this HK one would be great to know how they are working out for them. Thanks!

I am actually thinking of changing my mounting approach a little with the Mosa 2. I have been leveraging "indestructible" mounts which means that in a crash it is the foam behind the FW which gives way (and over time the nose gets shorter and shorter as you glue the new ply firewall.). I wonder if instead you can aim to create a sufficiently strong one for flying but one which will crumble on a crash leaving the foam in tact. For example:

- 1/4 ply for two sides of the "cube" but 1/8 for the other two (at the hope of those breaking in a crash)
- Balsa block between two ply sheets to absorb the energy and to break in a crash.

Don't know. Just thinking out loud...
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by arnav; Apr 06, 2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 03:05 PM
who put that tree there
Joined Jun 2010
808 Posts
anyone have the epo version of tm400 built mine but it needs a hell of a lot of nose wieght to balance,fitted mine with park 450 motor 2200mah 30c 3 cell.
still wont balance at rear of strut.
annoying as dont really want to keep adding extra wieght..
dazza44 is offline Find More Posts by dazza44
Old Apr 06, 2012, 03:11 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Dazza - did you open up the battery compartment so the batt will slide up through the firewall?

Profile - I never liked profile planes either - took me a bit of time to wrap my head around these planes - but they fly soooooo well, I am starting to like them better. I am not trying to push them on anyone - just letting you guys know I found something new that I am happy with

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Last edited by wolfewinde; Apr 06, 2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 03:34 PM
who put that tree there
Joined Jun 2010
808 Posts
yep opened up battery bay lipo slides in right up to front..
Old Apr 06, 2012, 03:38 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Man, I don't know what else to suggest then. You certainly have plenty of motor and battery. Maybe bend the wheels forward and get some bigger, heavier wheels. Perhaps move the ESC up into the front cockpit

Wolfe
Old Apr 06, 2012, 03:47 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,692 Posts
Dazza, you can put a mini-CAM forward of the CG (which you can get for $10 to $20). It is a way to add useful weight (if you consider taking videos useful - I do...).
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 06, 2012, 03:48 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post

Alternatively, if anyone is using a stock motor mount like this GP one or this HK one would be great to know how they are working out for them. Thanks!

I used the HK mount on an electric conversion, it worked but was a PITA to mount and was really bent in a crash.

If were me I would go with the stick, simple, light and possibly less damage and more localized.

Just don't land nose first.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Apr 06, 2012, 03:53 PM
who put that tree there
Joined Jun 2010
808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
Man, I don't know what else to suggest then. You certainly have plenty of motor and battery. Maybe bend the wheels forward and get some bigger, heavier wheels. Perhaps move the ESC up into the front cockpit

Wolfe
was thinking of changing wheels and undercarraige to something a bit stronger.
i got a aluminium under set shall epoxy in a ply plate a little futher forward and screw in the set. should hopefully sort it.
only thing i hate with these gws epo kits needing nose weight.
fw190 needed it spitfire did too and tm400 only my at-6 didnt balanced perfect with a 1300 3 cell..
Old Apr 06, 2012, 03:57 PM
who put that tree there
Joined Jun 2010
808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
Dazza, you can put a mini-CAM forward of the CG (which you can get for $10 to $20). It is a way to add useful weight (if you consider taking videos useful - I do...).
got cam on my skysurfer and minimag hopefully new wheel set should sort it..
Old Apr 06, 2012, 03:58 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
That should help, Dazza. GWS kts have always built tail heavy - worse now with the new foam - and the LG has always been bad. Might as well solve 2 problems at once with some new LG

Wolfe
Old Apr 06, 2012, 04:04 PM
who put that tree there
Joined Jun 2010
808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
That should help, Dazza. GWS kts have always built tail heavy - worse now with the new foam - and the LG has always been bad. Might as well solve 2 problems at once with some new LG

Wolfe
very good value kits though.just needs the issues sorted otherwise they do fly verywell..
Old Apr 06, 2012, 04:18 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
I agree - once you get them sorted out they mostly do fly extremely well, especially for the price.

Wolfe
Old Apr 06, 2012, 06:53 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Arnav,

I would order the HK mount. Looks like it is in the USA warehouse so should get there quickly.

The stick mount is not a good option for a heavy motor. It puts too much stress on the stick and it will work loose too easily in the foam. They work well for smaller motors, but not bigger ones.

If you are going to make one, wait until you get the plane. One of the critical tricks on any GWS build is to "route" your electronics before you glue the fuse halves together. Much easier to carve out the foam path that way. You will need to determine that before you build the firewall mount to make sure you have the right holes/spacing in it to route the motor/esc wires.

I put the receiver in my Formosa up in the cockpit so I could see it easily and make sure I had a good solid light - no flashing - before I put her in the air. Mine balanced pretty well with the heavier motor and the battery in the normal battery bay under the wing. I did have to cut a few holes to route all the connectors to the motor/esc/ servo wires to reach the receiver in the cockpit.

Wolfe
Old Apr 06, 2012, 07:14 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,692 Posts
Thanks. I agree. I would have said the same thing. Not for a power 15...
I do know that I would have to drill the HK one a little (which should be ok). At the smallest setting it is at 28mm whereas the power 15 is 25mm. My only issue with such a mount is that in a crash the fuse would give in before the mount (whereas i think the opposite is preferred). Maybe it is easier to achieve with a ply box. I need to decide.
Thanks for the routing tips. Which radio are you using? I didn't know you are suppose to check for the signal quality on the Rx (i.e. whether it is flashing or mot). I only check the control surfaces. Is that only for orange Rxs? I don't think my Spektrum Rx does that (at least the instruction didn't say anything about it).
RCG Plus Member