to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2012, 05:04 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_TT View Post
I assume you are using 3s 11.1V, this bird will be a rocket at 16oz.
I don't fly fast but just love those vertical rolls

I use that motor in several planes but it looks like they don't make it anymore.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=4908
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Apr 05, 2012, 07:17 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
These are servos I have ordered. As you can see they are slower: 0.13 sec @ 4.8V,
0.11 sec @ 6.0V. In fact they are the same speed as the analog ones they sell.
You are right, the "high speed" digital MG they sell are 0.08 secs...

If folks are happy with the BECs they are using, I would love to get some recommendations.
The spec does not tell the exact currents it draws, well, a 17-gram MG servo certainly draws more currents than the 9-gram one. Suggest doing a bench test to see if the 3A or 4A BEC (switch mode) could handle 4 such servos well before practically used them on Formosa 2, if not, an UBEC 5A would be required if you insist on using these 17-gram servos, alternatively, give smaller servos a try. Yes, it's no need to operate all four servos at the same time in the air.
Chen
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen
Old Apr 05, 2012, 08:29 PM
United States, FL, Key Largo
Joined Apr 2011
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartricky View Post
I don't fly fast but just love those vertical rolls

I use that motor in several planes but it looks like they don't make it anymore.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=4908
Hey bartricky, i see you live 6miles from me in keylargo. Wear do you fly?? i thought i was the only flyer down here. Nice to see i found another local key largo flyer. Also whats a good gws plane? hows are the j3cubs ive had one on my eye for a while. But cause of the wind we have down here idk how it would work.
minegun2 is offline Find More Posts by minegun2
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:12 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Chen,

I would think on a Formosa you could easily operate all 4 servos at the same time in the air - in fact, I think you might do it fairly often.

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:14 PM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,692 Posts
Ok, so I think I finally ordered everything I need for my Mosa 2 build. Here is what I will be using:

Rx: Spektrum AR8000
Motor: E-flite Power 15. The E-flite Power 25 is only $5 more so I am open to be persuaded to upgrade... Need to pick either one from LHS.
ESC:: Exceed RC Proton 60A. Me and others had really good experience with those.
BEC: Exceed RC 8A UBEC. Thanks Chen for the advise...
Batteries: My existing set of Turnigy 3000mah 30C.
Servos: 4 * NewPower 17G MG Digital. If I am stripping one of those they will be hearing from my lawyer...
LG: Corsair Plates + Corsair LG. Thanks Wolfe!
Hinges: Dubro Nylon #116. I have CA hinges as well but I like Nylon better. How much heavier can they really be?

May still order a stock mount instead of building a box.

Everything is coming from the US or picked up from LHS so hopefully by the end of next week I'll have everything. The Plane itself I am picking up on Monday. Can't wait!

Wolfe, I think what he meant is that you are not likely to stall all 4 servos at the same time. The stop current is significantly lower then the stall current (say 20mah vs. 800mah)..
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by arnav; Apr 05, 2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:25 PM
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minegun2 View Post
Hey bartricky, i see you live 6miles from me in keylargo. Wear do you fly?? i thought i was the only flyer down here. Nice to see i found another local key largo flyer. Also whats a good gws plane? hows are the j3cubs ive had one on my eye for a while. But cause of the wind we have down here idk how it would work.
I fly mostly at Florida Keys Model Club at Founders Park and sometimes at Osprey in Florida City.
You can look them up and get details at the AMA site.

The Slow Stick is a fun plane and good for small areas, I don't know the J3 Cub.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 11:35 PM
Joined Apr 2011
147 Posts
Quote:
I fly mostly at Florida Keys Model Club at Founders Park and sometimes at Osprey in Florida City.
You can look them up and get details at the AMA site.

The Slow Stick is a fun plane and good for small areas, I don't know the J3 Cub.
how many ppl fly down at founders?
Old Apr 05, 2012, 11:44 PM
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
Quote:
how many ppl fly down at founders?
Less than 10. You must be a club member and have an AMA card.
That's our agreement with the park and city.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 09:21 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Minegun - I don't think the Cub would be your best choice for a "wind" plane. The Formosas are very good in the wind - either one of them - if your flying skills are up to those.

Arnav - looks like a good set up - I think the Power 15 would be the better choice for the Formosa. I will be switching mine over to the Power 15 before too long, I think

Wolfe
Old Apr 06, 2012, 09:33 AM
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
Wind

Wind

Wind

No Mosa maiden this weekend

I'll just have to stay home and watch the video from Mosa#1.
It sure goes where you point it!

Mosa edit.wmv (5 min 35 sec)
Last edited by bartricky; Apr 06, 2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 10:04 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Nice flight, Bartricky. Doesn't look good for flying here this weekend either - winds are high.

For those of us who like the Formosas, I have been enjoying the Techone Planes a lot lately. In general, the fly a lot like a Mosa with a little more 3D capability and a little less Pattern orientation. The Extra 330 is very similar to the Mosa 1 (should fly well on the same set-up), and the Swift is a very similar size and set-up to the Mosa 2 . The SU-31 is in between. All are cheap like the Mosa's and extremely durable. All three of these fly very well and handle 10 mph winds well like the Mosa's do

http://www.nitroplanes.com/techone.html

Wolfe
Old Apr 06, 2012, 12:13 PM
Joined Apr 2011
147 Posts
Quote:
Less than 10. You must be a club member and have an AMA card.
That's our agreement with the park and city.
Do you and everyone meet up on the weekends down at founders? Who dp i halft to talk to become a member?
Old Apr 06, 2012, 12:39 PM
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
Nice flight, Bartricky. Doesn't look good for flying here this weekend either - winds are high.

For those of us who like the Formosas, I have been enjoying the Techone Planes a lot lately. In general, the fly a lot like a Mosa with a little more 3D capability and a little less Pattern orientation. The Extra 330 is very similar to the Mosa 1 (should fly well on the same set-up), and the Swift is a very similar size and set-up to the Mosa 2 . The SU-31 is in between. All are cheap like the Mosa's and extremely durable. All three of these fly very well and handle 10 mph winds well like the Mosa's do

http://www.nitroplanes.com/techone.html

Wolfe
Thanks Wolfe,

Somehow I just can't wrap myself around a profile.
Sort of like petting a cardboard cat.

My flying buddy (old school) hates my SS because it doesn't look like a plane even if it can out fly some of his.
I just can't show up with a cardboard cat.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 12:51 PM
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
Quote:
Do you and everyone meet up on the weekends down at founders? Who dp i halft to talk to become a member?
PM'd...