Thanks once again for sound advice!
micro2000 is offline Find More Posts by micro2000
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2012, 12:33 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
I have added this grahic to clear up the confusion about the F28 mode settings.

The F28 has two operating modes available but uses a simple numerical designation of 1 & 2 which do not correspond to actual modes as we know them (per graphic).

More advanced models such as the MJX-F45 do have all 4 modes available but are also not designated per the universal mode numbers. Their designations are even more confusing as to get actual mode 2 you have to set it on 'stick mod 4'.

F28 Mode 1 = actual Mode 4 (similar to 3ch)
F28 Mode 2 = actual Mode 2
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Apr 06, 2012, 06:07 AM
S107G MSR MSRX 120SR Nano QX
United Kingdom, Coventry
Joined Jan 2012
476 Posts
Thanks G, it looks like mode 2 for me, on my F28 and soon to be purchased 102SR. I have now refixed the lower gear, found the notch, and it is up and flying again, as good as new. I don't know what I would do without guys like you on this forum!
Old Apr 07, 2012, 11:34 AM
United Kingdom, Coventry
Joined Jan 2012
476 Posts
OK first attempt at mode 2 flying was rather tricky, and clearly will take some getting used to. It seems quite tricky to give it throttle without turning at the same time. I guess more practice is needed.
Old Apr 07, 2012, 12:34 PM
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by micro2000 View Post
OK first attempt at mode 2 flying was rather tricky, and clearly will take some getting used to. It seems quite tricky to give it throttle without turning at the same time. I guess more practice is needed.
Better to learn on the F28, as the 120SR will give you a lot less time to react.

Having the rudder with the throttle takes a bit of getting used to. Try flying it like a 3ch for a while with just rudder turns. Get used to maintaining elevation while turning and flying circuits.

Then try some coordinated rudder and aileron turns and see if you can get it to bank.

It took me about 6 batteries to get somewhat comfortable with the mode 2 controls, and I almost gave myself a haircut a few times.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:18 AM
United Kingdom, Coventry
Joined Jan 2012
476 Posts
Mode 2 testing was going reasonably, until yesterday. I thought it was a calm (which turned out to be balm) day, so off into the back garden I went with the F28. It was flying circuits nicely, when a gust took it up to about 30 feet. As I tried to bring it around, it got hit by another gust which took it up higher, and over next doors garden. Then all I could do was watch, as full elevator would not bring it back and the wind took it a few hunfdred yards before i stopped throttle. It is in one of six/seven large gardens, all with a lot of bushes and the like. I have posted a flyer through every door, and searched some gardens but to no avail. I guess I should not have underestimated what people mean when they say co-axials are not good in wind. I hope someone does find it before the weather ruins it, and guess i better buy the 120SR today to make up for it. So much for testing mode 2 on the F28. I'm gutted!!
Old Apr 21, 2012, 07:41 AM
Joined Jun 2011
22 Posts
F28 Wobble Problem

for anyone still having the wobble issue with the MJX F28

I found 3 things related to the wobble problem which 98% resolved it

#1 on each servo you will find a round gear on one end & the shaft sticking out the other end, hold the gear with your thumb & tighten the shaft with a small screw driver from the end(it will be tight at first from lock tight or something ) turn clockwise while pushing the shaft towards the gear, the idea is to close the gap between the gear & servo body but not to the point that the gear binds when you spin the gear. this will remove some of the servo slop.

#2 examine the top links of the ball links that go from the swash plate to the lower blade holder closely, I found both links were pushed on too far towards the blade holder allowing excessive movement in the blade holders & swash plate, if this is the case then pull the link outward a bit till the ball is seated in side the link hole.

#3 put a couple of elastics from around the front ski legs to the swash plate servo arms (just enough too keep the swash plate still but not add extra stress to the servos)

This has worked for me and made this heli flyable (the servo tightening may not be needed if you do the others as it will require disassemble of the heli & servo so you may want to do that as a last resort)

Joe
JoeNezZ is offline Find More Posts by JoeNezZ
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:46 PM
United States, MI, Westland
Joined Jan 2012
9 Posts
Thanks Joe. I will try it.

Has anyone found a good battery replacement for this bird. The original battery blew up like a balloon, due to my lack of lipo knowledge. I bought two off these from Ebay and they died very quick.
Mblev2 is offline Find More Posts by Mblev2
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:58 AM
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblev2 View Post
Thanks Joe. I will try it.

Has anyone found a good battery replacement for this bird. The original battery blew up like a balloon, due to my lack of lipo knowledge. I bought two off these from Ebay and they died very quick.
When I had an F28, I tried a couple of the Walkera style batteries similar to those shown below. But with them the F28 still had inadequate power and short flight times. I think maybe the batteries are ok but the F28 pulls too much power. A heli that size with a 3.7V motor is just not ideal. Of all the MJX helis I have owned, this one was somewhat disappointing.

The only coax I am still flying is my hot-rod HQ-852. It is not much bigger than the F28 but has a very powerful 7.4V system and can handle a little breeze. But when you set the servo arms for aggressive flying, you need to have a bunch of spare blades and even main shafts!
Old Apr 24, 2012, 01:34 AM
United Kingdom, Coventry
Joined Jan 2012
476 Posts
These batteries, recommended by Gordonzo, worked well for me, until my bird flew away.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...m=260789178822
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:59 PM
Joined Jan 2012
9 Posts
Thank guys.

I thought about buying the Force Power batteries from EBay, but was worried about how the larger size would affect flight.
Micro and Gordon, do they fit well in the battery holder and how hard was it to rebalance after the change? Thank for the help.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:16 PM
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by micro2000 View Post
These batteries, recommended by Gordonzo, worked well for me, until my bird flew away.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...m=260789178822
Ah yes I remember that. So the Force Power batt's had some decent power. Good.

How are you doing with the 120SR?

g
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:43 AM
United Kingdom, Coventry
Joined Jan 2012
476 Posts
Hi g, I am really enjoying it, but it is taking a while to get used to giving it constant attention (especially whilst I wait for extra batteries) However, flights are improving every time which is all good news, thank you. I still think it will be a while before i am flying it reaosnably, but it is all good practice.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:04 PM
Joined Jan 2012
9 Posts
Gordonzo,

Did those longer batteries hurt the balance of your F28?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:24 PM
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblev2 View Post
Gordonzo,

Did those longer batteries hurt the balance of your F28?
That was a while ago but IIRC it was just slightly rear heavy and I adjusted the elev servo 2 turns. I like my helis mechanically trimmed to within 1 or 2 clicks on the tx.