HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:44 PM
stegl
Kelowna , BC
Joined Nov 2008
2,483 Posts
ARF main gear

Well have the ARF glass main gear installed on the Kit version Cessna 182-60 and gives me about 3/4 inch more prop clearance. Working on installing the the new nose wheel pant so ready for spring trim painting. Will also have to add a bit to the top fairing for better fit.
stegl is offline Find More Posts by stegl
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:14 AM
Germany, NDS, Brunswick
Joined Dec 2012
50 Posts
Did you have installed a new nose gear strut to avoid nose-down attitude ?
Meanwhile I've started to complete the interior and some decals went to the (almost) right positions..
Skylane II is offline Find More Posts by Skylane II
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:36 PM
stegl
Kelowna , BC
Joined Nov 2008
2,483 Posts
New gear

No, will just have to pull down the Robart nosegear to re-adjust attitude. working on a new nose wheelpant install as My old one was pretty beat up from use on grass strip last year from lots of use...
Sure like your interior.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:13 PM
Germany, NDS, Brunswick
Joined Dec 2012
50 Posts
Probably the first part, that say goodbye on a grass strip is the abs plastic nose wheelpant..
I will remove it for precaution as long as I havn't new glass wheelpants.
Last edited by Skylane II; Jan 16, 2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:31 AM
stegl
Kelowna , BC
Joined Nov 2008
2,483 Posts
I was building for lightness so scratch built my wheelpants as they came out lighter than the plastic. The ARF glass pants much sturdier and the little extra weight won't be a problem. The mains came thru the summer just fine as I had a little more clearance from the glass.... larger wheels than the nose.
Last edited by stegl; Jan 12, 2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:24 PM
stegl
Kelowna , BC
Joined Nov 2008
2,483 Posts
Graupner 15x8 3 blade

Did a runup on a Graupner 15X8 3 blade prop and amped out at 62 amps/about 1400 watts on wattmeter. Slight amount of vibration over the 16X8 APC two brade. When I get time will try and see if I can get a better balance done. 6S 4000mah was only charged to about 24.8 volts so was trying to run a simulated partialy used flight pack ( 78% charged)... Pretty wide blades on the graupner so was surprized the current only at 62 amps full out. No rpm readings as done indoors and lighting would not have given correct rpm anyways.

Good thrust but definitely not as efficient as the APC 16x8 two blade which only draws about 52 amps full out with similiar thrust
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:26 AM
stegl
Kelowna , BC
Joined Nov 2008
2,483 Posts
182 nosegear pant

Just adding another layer of 4 ozor 6 oz glass cloth to the inside nosegear as I don't find the original layer heavy enough. The only thing that appears to make them sturdy is the gelcote which really has no strength in itself... just for finishing.
Last edited by stegl; Jan 15, 2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:34 PM
Germany, NDS, Brunswick
Joined Dec 2012
50 Posts
Can't get spare parts for the ARF version anyway, not available in Germany..
So I have to to copy the wheel pants for glassing, but I don't know the best way to do- do you have any experiences about glassing ??
Old Jan 16, 2013, 02:18 AM
stegl
Kelowna , BC
Joined Nov 2008
2,483 Posts
ARF parts

Go to www.ebay.com and in search type top flite cessna ARF parts and you should get choices. Seller by the name of omni models will ship and quite reeasonable. Have dealt with them for my main gear and wheel pants just recently.

Lets know if it works for you ?
Last edited by stegl; Jan 16, 2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:31 PM
Germany, NDS, Brunswick
Joined Dec 2012
50 Posts
ARF landing gear

Yep! Good idea!!
I just orderd the mains and the glass pants from omni modells now, will see..
Have much to do now back in the job and little time..
I will report !!
Last edited by Skylane II; Jan 16, 2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:41 AM
stegl
Kelowna , BC
Joined Nov 2008
2,483 Posts
Cessna pants

When you get the pants I would sand smooth the inside ( to get paint spray off ) and reline with another layer of 4 or 6 oz cloth and Zepoxy or equivalent finishing resin , as the main rigidity is the gelcoat and no strength there ( IMHO). Let us know how you make out.

Got my main pants sanded inside and relined with 6 oz glass cloth and Zepoxy. Almost indestructable now . Did add a little weight but the plane can handle it.
Last edited by stegl; Jan 27, 2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:08 PM
stegl
Kelowna , BC
Joined Nov 2008
2,483 Posts
ARF main on Kit build Cessna

Well here are the glass main gear legs on the Top Flite kit built Cessna. Gives me much more prop clearance. Have 2 inches minimum but may reduce the main tires by 1/4 inch.

Next to do are cowl lighting.... have the lights but need to instal.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:29 AM
Germany, NDS, Brunswick
Joined Dec 2012
50 Posts
Tundra-wheels!
I'm still waiting for receive the glass mains.
What kind of size did you used for the main-wheels?
At the full-size Cessna mains you can see also more wheel clearence as the pants of the kit-version allows.
Looks something about 90 mm dia.
Only the down angle of the pants seems a little bit to much to me, so I will try to adjust the mains for a slightly down attitude.
For the landing lights I want to go with two mag-lite mini reflectors and bulbs, cause LED's would probably destroy the 70's retro-style of my rivet-patchwork aircraft..
Last edited by Skylane II; Jan 30, 2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:10 AM
stegl
Kelowna , BC
Joined Nov 2008
2,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylane II View Post
Tundra-wheels!
I'm still waiting for receive the glass mains.
What kind of size did you used for the main-wheels?
At the full-size Cessna mains you can see also more wheel clearence as the pants of the kit-version allows.
Looks something about 90 mm dia.
Only the down angle of the pants seems a little bit to much to me, so I will try to adjust the mains for a slightly down attitude.
For the landing lights I want to go with two mag-lite mini reflectors and bulbs, cause LED's would probably destroy the 70's retro-style of my rivet-patchwork aircraft..
I have 3.25 inch mains on now and think I will go to 3 inch. the nose gear I have 3 inch and may go to max of 3.25 inch.. I use threaded foam wheels as they are light and allow some nice compression. the 3.25 in for the nose gear may be a little tight so not sure right now. If I had mounted the ARF main legs to the top of the ply , instead of the bottom... the fuse to ground would look a little more scale. I am waffleing on that right now...... Decisions ... decisions ! I would have to open up another hole to insert the main gear and then go with the 3.50in/90mm mains. My biggest problem is I need the 16 inch prop clearance as I don't really want to go with the graupner 15x8 3 blade. The power draw full out is another 10- 12 amps. I may try a 15x8 or 15x10 prop..........

Attached is the led bulb I am using for the landing lights. very good brite light and low power comsumption . I have them in 4.5 to 6 volt and 3 volt.
Last edited by stegl; Jan 30, 2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:14 PM
Germany, NDS, Brunswick
Joined Dec 2012
50 Posts
No, the Graupner three-blader is not the way to go, I understand.
Wow, 900 mm main-wheels! (just kidding!)
On the other hand you could remove the pants to operate with the bigger wheels.
But I would prefer to have mounted the nice wheel pants!