HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:45 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Oct 2005
155 Posts
I appreciate the vote of confidence, thank you.
If you haven't seen it there is a considerable amount of info in this link:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_55...tm.htm#5531029
crowe04 is offline Find More Posts by crowe04
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:01 PM
Germany, NDS, Brunswick
Joined Dec 2012
50 Posts
Ahh! Very interesting and usefull!
THX!
Skylane II is offline Find More Posts by Skylane II
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:28 PM
Germany, NDS, Brunswick
Joined Dec 2012
50 Posts
Hey crowe,
I'm very impressed of your rebuild, unbeleavible !!!
Thought it would be a new one for sure..
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:38 PM
stegl
Kelowna , BC
Joined Nov 2008
2,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylane II View Post
The 2-blade 16 incher is the prop that was driven by the OS 91, and it seems to be a lawn mower , that it sounds lke a bit! It looks pretty much to match scale appearence, but several test run-ups will show the best set-up! BTW I was heavily inspired by your and crowe04 postings in this thread ..
Thanks for the comments. Yes , know what you mean about a lawn mower; all right. After many many flight I wondered why my aircraft was getting kind of sluggish and required a higher power setting and when I got home that day discovered a large buildup of grass crap on the backside of the APC 16x8E that had built up over time . Efficiency had dropped big time. Cleaned it off and felt like I had added another half cell.

The preferred prop length would be a 15 incher. I may replace the wheels up one inch more in diameter but will see this winter as I want to do some work on the landing gear.
stegl is offline Find More Posts by stegl
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:42 AM
Germany, NDS, Brunswick
Joined Dec 2012
50 Posts
OK, some pics of the building progress:
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:11 PM
stegl
Kelowna , BC
Joined Nov 2008
2,444 Posts
Lok=oen good... was this an ARF or kit version ?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:48 PM
Germany, NDS, Brunswick
Joined Dec 2012
50 Posts
Thanks! It was done the hard way (KIT-Version)
In 1999 the ARF Version wasn't still avilable, and that was the very best ( looking ) Cessna money could buy (..and I still think so..)
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:08 PM
stegl
Kelowna , BC
Joined Nov 2008
2,444 Posts
ARF vs KIT

Yes I went the kit version also as mine took 10 plus years in the making so know what you mean. The nice thing with the kit version you can make any and all modes that the ARF version does not have. My battery compartment is oversized so I have no problem with a single 6S battery to fit and I made the wing struts functional as at the time I had mine; the wing joiner was a weak link according to the kit report in a past magazine. I also built in float mounts for future expansion to float flying if I decide to do so .
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:01 PM
Germany, NDS, Brunswick
Joined Dec 2012
50 Posts
Yes.There is plenty of room for the batteries in deed!
I want to try with one 6S 4000 that I've installed into the cowling for saving weights.
CG looks good so far. (100 mm from leading edge)
But nevertheless she feels a little bit heavy , so I wish I have had reinforced the wingstruts, too
Yep, floating must be a dream with her, but I have no chance to try were I live- so I have to hit the runway..
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:53 AM
stegl
Kelowna , BC
Joined Nov 2008
2,444 Posts
posting report #56 shows how I added the least amount of weight for balance by bolting the lead bar as far foreward as I could. The weight amount changed from 14oz inside the firewall area to the foreward inside cowl area I think it was to about 4 oz or close to it. Saving was about 8 to 10 oz in any case. Mounting can be easily changed for fine tuning.

After balancing was set I clipped off the excess bolts. I think I also used 100mm for CofG and seemed to be right on and am happy with landing performance.
Last edited by stegl; Jan 02, 2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:49 PM
stegl
Kelowna , BC
Joined Nov 2008
2,444 Posts
Cessna landing gear

Just received my ARF landing gear and looks not too bad. The mains are definitely made of fibreglass and much thicker .... arround 7.5 to 8 mm thick depending were you measure. Also looks like I may be able to get at least another 1/2 inch overall more ground clearance for my 16x8 prop . Like it !

Also went with the ARF wheel pants as the extra cost was not worth making new pants.
Last edited by stegl; Jan 02, 2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:45 PM
Germany, NDS, Brunswick
Joined Dec 2012
50 Posts
pics, pics, pics..The 16 x 8 Prop sounds very nice, I will give it a try..
I have the origin wheelpants made of ABS - plastic , I'm not sure that they will lasting very long on a grass-strip !
The ARF mains are made of fibre-glass?? That could mean an improvement, never get tired
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:44 PM
stegl
Kelowna , BC
Joined Nov 2008
2,444 Posts
The brushless motor is a Scorpion 4025-12 on 6S and draws 53 amps full out at 8300 rpm. on that APC 16x8. Takeoff is at about 75% power and usually half flap.

Scale airplane is more fun when flown scale like. Whatched a video "warbirds over deleware" were a 4 engine bomber was doing vertical climbs, rolls and patern type flying and th announcer thought that was just so great. Myself on a scale of 1 to 10.... I would give a zero.
Last edited by stegl; Jan 03, 2013 at 12:36 AM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:57 PM
Germany, NDS, Brunswick
Joined Dec 2012
50 Posts
Sounds good! Same Scorpion, same prop-size, same weight(?).. I'm heavier as 6 KG for sure, but should be airworthy , tomorrow I will weigh her
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:07 AM
Germany, NDS, Brunswick
Joined Dec 2012
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stegl View Post

Scale airplane is more fun when flown scale like. Whatched a video "warbirds over deleware" were a 4 engine bomber was doing vertical climbs, rolls and patern type flying and th announcer thought that was just so great. Myself on a scale of 1 to 10.... I would give a zero.
I agree with you! But I am in doubt of a high wingloading that causes a quick tip-stall or high-speed-impact-approaches..
That doesnt't look very scale ..