SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:30 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Oct 2005
164 Posts
If the 6s is working fine why change it?????
As the saying goes, "don't fix something that ain't broke".
crowe04 is offline Find More Posts by crowe04
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:44 AM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowe04 View Post
If the 6s is working fine why change it?????
As the saying goes, "don't fix something that ain't broke".
No doubt. Good to know. Wasn't sure how I was going to approach the power system for this bird.
gewiens is offline Find More Posts by gewiens
Old Jul 29, 2012, 11:31 AM
stegl
Kelowna , BC
Joined Nov 2008
2,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewiens View Post
Your flying with 6s? I would think of using 8. I know where i can get one of these not yet covered but built and am thinking of puttting a power 110 or 90 in it.
Yes 6S works great... using a scorpion 4025-12 I use about 80% throttle for takeoff then have the reserve if ever needed. At full power only draws 52 amps... more than enough. Fly at half throttle . Total cut of throttle way out and seems to glide forever way out with flap 1 setting. I do notice a ton of more drag at full flap setting so will work with this more next time out. One of the things with motor size is matching prop size. Pretty much limited to 16 inchers unless you are on hard pack then maybe a 17 incher. Bigger wheels would also help for more prop clearance.
stegl is online now Find More Posts by stegl
Old Aug 16, 2012, 01:16 AM
stegl
Kelowna , BC
Joined Nov 2008
2,574 Posts
Working on the lighting when time is available. Like the way she flies.
Never know I may juts add floats over the winter........
Last edited by stegl; Aug 18, 2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 05:27 PM
stegl
Kelowna , BC
Joined Nov 2008
2,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewiens View Post
Your flying with 6s? I would think of using 8. I know where i can get one of these not yet covered but built and am thinking of puttting a power 110 or 90 in it.
One thing to watch out for with motor size; is prop clearance..... bigger is not always better same thing with battery cell count ....more is not always better.
The big thing with this Cessna is prop clearance .
Last edited by stegl; Aug 24, 2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 09:35 PM
stegl
Kelowna , BC
Joined Nov 2008
2,574 Posts
Cessna 182

Picture says it all.... right ?
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:55 PM
Germany, NDS, Brunswick
Joined Dec 2012
50 Posts
@ crowe04: How did you make the "shark-gills" over the cowl flaps - looks very nice !!
I've started the glow to electric conversion about 2 weeks ago and BTW I have started to restore this 12 (!) years old beauty !
This plane will be equipped with a scorpion 4025-12, Graupner 16 x 8, 6S 4000, 100 A ESC, external life-batterie and a Benedini sound unit for add more realism !
Lights and beacon are pre - installed, but 1W SMD emitters are the way to go, and 3W for the strobes- should be funny on the air-field next spring..
Skylane II is offline Find More Posts by Skylane II
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:56 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Oct 2005
164 Posts
Having the sound unit would be brilliant! Would love to hear what its like. The paint job you have done looks great, nice clean precise straight lines.
The "shark gills" are simply two short pieces of balsa for the top and bottom supports and the vents/vanes are 1mm thick pieces of plastic card, cut into strips, and glued into the balsa top and bottom pieces at a 45deg angle. They both took about 15min to make each. The longest part of the job was working out the scale position on the cowl and cutting the hole for each vent. For reference I just used profile photos of the full size and scaled them to suit.
Last edited by crowe04; Dec 09, 2012 at 05:01 AM.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:39 AM
Germany, NDS, Brunswick
Joined Dec 2012
50 Posts
The Sound unit works very well with 2 Monacore 30x/4 speakers that I've installed upside-down into the fuse, I'll try to up-load a vid on you tube next time.
The baggage compartment door is made of glas-fibre, isn't it?
I'm too late to realize it , I suppose..
Old Dec 09, 2012, 03:24 PM
Germany, NDS, Brunswick
Joined Dec 2012
50 Posts
Very, very cool !!
I'll try to do at my next project, but in my case it would be to hard to release, the fuse is already done and finished..
But your brilliant looking vent-openings will be found at my new-old Cessna at next..
I've got the ABS kit-version cowling on the bench , next week it's spraytime..
The nose gear strut (robarts right hand version) has to be reinforced and will get a separate MG-servo for more durability !
Old Dec 09, 2012, 04:04 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Oct 2005
164 Posts
Hi "Skylane II", would love to see some photos of your progress, sounds good what you're doing.
Quite understandable about holding off with the baggage door, would be quite a job trying to make and fit one on an already completed fuselage.
I don't know if you are doing this but when I installed the nose gear strut I angled it further forward to a more accurate scale angle using profile photos and 3 view drawings again as references. All I did was glue in a plywood wedge to get the extra angle. Makes the world of difference to the overall scale appearance.
I seriously thought about putting a separate nose gear steering servo under the cowl but I opted for the kit steering set-up to save weight. The only variation I did was use a Du-Bro "Control Over-Ride Servo Saver" (kit #120) on the steering linkage. Still have excellent ground steering with no concerns about damaging the rudder servo gears.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:35 PM
Germany, NDS, Brunswick
Joined Dec 2012
50 Posts
Sorry for the nickname, but my other favorite one "ALPHA-AIR" wasn't available ..
Yes, you are right about the correct angle of the nose gear strut, but the wheel pant was already glued , filled, sanded and finished when I noticed the wrong angle..
Ok, it's been a while since I build this kit, I wouldn't do again..
There isn't so mutch to see about the progress at the moment, so I've simply added some pics from last week, my camera actually doesn't work .
I'll post some new pics next week about the nose gear, the sound unit and the cowling, of course !

Martin
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:24 AM
stegl
Kelowna , BC
Joined Nov 2008
2,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylane II View Post
@ crowe04: How did you make the "shark-gills" over the cowl flaps - looks very nice !!
I've started the glow to electric conversion about 2 weeks ago and BTW I have started to restore this 12 (!) years old beauty !
This plane will be equipped with a scorpion 4025-12, Graupner 16 x 8, 6S 4000, 100 A ESC, external life-batterie and a Benedini sound unit for add more realism !
Lights and beacon are pre - installed, but 1W SMD emitters are the way to go, and 3W for the strobes- should be funny on the air-field next spring..
Will be interesting to know what how the motor performs ie current draw and thrust with the Graupner 16x8.... is it a 3 blade or 2 blade ? . I have a 15x8 three blade here that I am considering using next spring. Haven't taken time to do a run-up with it so far as all the time was spent on flying...
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:29 PM
Germany, NDS, Brunswick
Joined Dec 2012
50 Posts
The 2-blade 16 incher is the prop that was driven by the OS 91, and it seems to be a lawn mower , that it sounds lke a bit! It looks pretty much to match scale appearence, but several test run-ups will show the best set-up! BTW I was heavily inspired by your and crowe04 postings in this thread ..
Last edited by Skylane II; Dec 10, 2012 at 04:39 PM.