SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 02, 2012, 07:08 AM
Joined Jan 2008
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C R Mudgeon View Post
I bought this bird at a club flea mkt. He had an old weed wacker motor in it so he had a bunch of nose weight! I made battery box for a 6s battery where the fuel tank should was and I put a 4000 6s battery plus a 2200 life and it still needs weight. I'll wait until I have all the electronics mounted ( I'll move everything forward! ) before I check what I need again.
Got her flying this weekend. Did a trim out flight last weekend. Found her to be about a 1lb tail heavy! Installed lead in her nose. The AUW was 14.5 lb. She flys like a trainer except it will not tolerate a fast banking turn. She'll start to drop like a rock. Even with flaps it drops like a rock on final and then it gets caught in ground effects and kind of float in the last few inches.

Nice plane to fly!

I think the weight was due to the finishing / painting. ( paint with no glass )
C R Mudgeon is offline Find More Posts by C R Mudgeon
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2012, 11:56 PM
stegl
Kelowna , BC
Joined Nov 2008
2,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C R Mudgeon View Post
Got her flying this weekend. Did a trim out flight last weekend. Found her to be about a 1lb tail heavy! Installed lead in her nose. The AUW was 14.5 lb. She flys like a trainer except it will not tolerate a fast banking turn. She'll start to drop like a rock. Even with flaps it drops like a rock on final and then it gets caught in ground effects and kind of float in the last few inches.

Nice plane to fly!

I think the weight was due to the finishing / painting. ( paint with no glass )
Yes , it has some pretty big effective flaps and the trick is maybe add a little power to compensate with the extra drag. Can't wait to get mine primed and painted. Hope to get started in priming this week or early next for sure. A question ,,,, have you ever checked the wing incidence on each side out to the tip with the Robart incidence meter ? I did mine and everything is perfect and straight .
stegl is offline Find More Posts by stegl
Old Apr 05, 2012, 12:06 PM
Joined Jan 2008
49 Posts
Quote:
A question ,,,, have you ever checked the wing incidence on each side out to the tip with the Robart incidence meter ? I did mine and everything is perfect and straight .
Sorry, no. I bought this kit built up at a club flea market for low bucks. I used the 20-20 eyeball to check if the wing was straight and it looks that way but I do not know how it would meter.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:43 PM
stegl
Kelowna , BC
Joined Nov 2008
2,450 Posts
I started my kit over 5 years ago and did the check again as I didn't remember how it had turned out. I did use all the temporary rib tabs to position the ribs correctly so I guess it worked out as designed. The only big negative I have with the wing is that I wish it had plug in outer panels; because to store the wing to get it out to the field makes for a long vehicle.
Last edited by stegl; Apr 10, 2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 06:41 AM
Joined Jan 2008
49 Posts
Oh no kidding! I bought it and did not check my car. Luckily I did not have a passenger taking the plane home the first time. It just about fits in the VW sportwagen. If I were to put the wing out back windows I'd have a new way to get to the field.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 05:04 PM
stegl
Kelowna , BC
Joined Nov 2008
2,450 Posts
primer

Well weather finlly got up to were I can start priming , thank goodness.Did the wing topside and control surfaces and fuse topside yesturday and today am doing wheel pants, aileron other side and bottom of fuse. Decided to get these primed today as weather supposd to cool off tomorrow and then I can wet sand tomorrow and get ready for final spray prime on another day . Sometimes I can sure see the value of what we have to pay for an arf. Once the base white is on I plan to mount the radio stuff and motor ; then worry about the trim later. Can always fly in between..... right
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:48 AM
stegl
Kelowna , BC
Joined Nov 2008
2,450 Posts
cessna 182 painting

Control surfaces and wing all painted with the first coat.... will check out shortly to see how many pinholes have to be handled as was too dark to really see last night. Today will be giving the fuse the first sanding of the primerr and that will be a big job.

Base coats of white done and working on the red trim today if weather permits
Last edited by stegl; May 31, 2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old Jun 03, 2012, 03:08 PM
stegl
Kelowna , BC
Joined Nov 2008
2,450 Posts
Doing assembly today of ll the stuff. MAYBE a maiden flight this week but will be busy so time will tell

Well doesn't look like any maiden this week........RAIN.....RAIN......RAIN !
Last edited by stegl; Jun 08, 2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:14 PM
stegl
Kelowna , BC
Joined Nov 2008
2,450 Posts
Just about ready

Well here it is guys .... Just working on the balance right now. Added 14 oz lead in the middle of the inside battery compartment and she balanced right on 4 inches as per the kit manual. I am going to pull the cowl and move the weight as far foreward as I can in the cowl and maybe I can drop that to half (7oz) .... would be happy with that. At the moment she balances at the 4 inches and a total all up weight of 13.84 lbs. If I can get that down to 13 lbs or less I would be very happy. I widened the corregating on the control surfaces to .75 inch ctc. I felt that the plans looked too close. I like this better.

Will try and get a pic on the balance weights and final weight when I can.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 01:47 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Oct 2005
155 Posts
Looks brilliant! Great job.
crowe04 is offline Find More Posts by crowe04
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:37 PM
stegl
Kelowna , BC
Joined Nov 2008
2,450 Posts
Balanced at a hair under 6 oz and now at 3 7/8 back from the leading edge so in effect if I wanted it at the 4 inch mark I can shave off more weight. Will try a few test flights and see how she works. Have some lighting I want to do yet but that is down the road. Total all up weight looks to be 13.4 lbs
Attached photo shows how I attached weight foreward to minimise how much I had to add by getting as far foreward as I could.
The small bolts have been shortened on the weights and foreward ply support... looked better
Last edited by stegl; Jul 28, 2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 06:07 PM
stegl
Kelowna , BC
Joined Nov 2008
2,450 Posts
Maiden

Well finally did it ; The big maiden today... had no more excuses for a delay.... sunny... lite winds down the runway and ready to go . The power system worked great with the 16x8 prop.... took off at about 80% power setting with great ground steering and airbourne with a very controlable left bank... trimmed for a level flight with a slight climb. Nice airplane and an eazy to fly on first flight.
Observations:
1) Nose drops quickly on a power off, no flaps ( cofg at 3 7/8 in back)..... Any comments
2) Several clicks right trim for level flight... lateral ballance hasn't been done yet... comments
3) Nose pitched up a fair bit on flap one setting . On second flight I mixed in elevator trim to flap and nose does not pitch up when flap selected and also do not have nose pitch down when power pulled back and on flap one setting with elevator mix... Comments please.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:25 PM
stegl
Kelowna , BC
Joined Nov 2008
2,450 Posts
Balance

Did a lateral balance this morning with the batteries installed (left side) and found quite an imbalance with the left wing being heavy; which corresponds with needing about 4 clicks of right for level flight Looks like I need 1 oz ( quite a bit) in the right wing to balance. So will add that and see how she flies and will report back.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:34 AM
stegl
Kelowna , BC
Joined Nov 2008
2,450 Posts
Lateral balance sure helped the flying ; am pleased to report. Had another great day.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 02:25 AM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,027 Posts
Your flying with 6s? I would think of using 8. I know where i can get one of these not yet covered but built and am thinking of puttting a power 110 or 90 in it.
gewiens is offline Find More Posts by gewiens