HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:40 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post
Here's one that's close to my heart...because at one time I worked for a division of Lancair (Columbia) and was planning on building one for myself...full scale.

Lancair 360/Legacy 2000. It's a hot ship! Sexy and gorgeous IMO.
Bud,

Love the 360! Essentially - sex with wings attached. Never have had the chance to fly one (or even ride in one). But a guy can always dream...

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:51 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
2,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pouncer View Post
Idly musing, I'd like to see a a 14 or 16" Fokker Dr I, in factory livery, without dihedral and a perilously aftwards CG.

Or a UM Harrier that can hover but there are serious engineering challenges involved; while the body of the Harrier is (was) very wide you could probably fid a shrouded 5070 prop in there and still call it a micro.
But how do you control it while in hover? If you fit 2 counter rotating motors inside you could control the roll axis with torque but what about pitch and yaw?
The real Harrier bleeds compressed air from the turbine and controls its attitude via nozzles in tail and wing tips but I don't see that happening on a small model.

What I really want is an ultra micro version of the E-Flite electrical retracts..
I think a lightweight Harrier could be done without those nozzles in tail and wing.
Bit too much engineering involved but what the heck
50mm EDF -> 34cm span, 56cm span (approx).

Here's a system that a German guy designed:
One EDF, four thrusters controlled by 2 servos. Left/ right each has 1.

"Action" starts from 2:30.

Harrier - RC-Impeller Antrieb (4 min 5 sec)
RNAF is offline Find More Posts by RNAF
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:59 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Bud,

Love the 360! Essentially - sex with wings attached. Never have had the chance to fly one (or even ride in one). But a guy can always dream...

Joel
Hey, hey, if you ever come up north, I'll let you fly my good old Electrifly Lancair! The only fiberglass/balsa airplane in my fleet (and basically the reason why it's still in top shape today, except the cowl). Have not flown it in the last two years, since I broke the propeller (little ooops moment) and never replaced it. Now, I'm getting the itch to go shopping for one before winter!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Oct 24, 2011, 01:23 PM
United States, MA, Rutland
Joined Oct 2011
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Hey, hey, if you ever come up north, I'll let you fly my good old Electrifly Lancair! The only fiberglass/balsa airplane in my fleet (and basically the reason why it's still in top shape today, except the cowl). Have not flown it in the last two years, since I broke the propeller (little ooops moment) and never replaced it. Now, I'm getting the itch to go shopping for one before winter!
Considering what I thought he might offer, that was a tame post.

I'd love to see more WWII birds, LIKE A UM STUKA! I might save a few bucks for a brick to go into the Guillow's 16.5" conversion I've currently got pinned to the board...
ScottGridley is offline Find More Posts by ScottGridley
Old Oct 24, 2011, 01:28 PM
Wanton construction
Stockholm Sweden
Joined Sep 2006
954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNAF View Post
I think a lightweight Harrier could be done without those nozzles in tail and wing.
Bit too much engineering involved but what the heck
50mm EDF -> 34cm span, 56cm span (approx).

Here's a system that a German guy designed:
One EDF, four thrusters controlled by 2 servos. Left/ right each has 1.

"Action" starts from 2:30.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PWtvbqbIUg
I've given it a bit more thought and I suppose it could theoretically be possible with existing components, basically by tilting a mCX 90 degrees forward.
Divide exhaust into four equal parts each leading to one of four nozzles, cyclic control then distributes thrust as needed.
Counter rotating shrouded props provide roll authority by torque.
The above gives control in forwar/backward and side to side translation, and roll.
We lack yaw so we need to 2 servos to operate the port and starboard nozzles in opposition.

The mCX doesn't have much spare power so even a proof of concept mock-up would be iffy, additionally it's 4 channels so no transition from hover to FF, and it lacks a couple of gyros..

But in theory..
Pouncer is offline Find More Posts by Pouncer
Old Oct 24, 2011, 02:44 PM
Team CJ Youngblood
United States, WV, Wheeling
Joined Jul 2009
1,478 Posts
i would like them try and make this
anthony7820 is offline Find More Posts by anthony7820
Old Oct 24, 2011, 03:00 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
2,305 Posts
Pouncer, you do have yaw.
See left and right thrusters as tracks of a tank Left two forward, right two rearward = left yaw.
Pitch is done by a valve controlling airflow to rear and front thrusters.

Maybe a little off topic (this post) but the last ten years have proven that dreams come true
RNAF is offline Find More Posts by RNAF
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2011, 03:00 PM
I'm slow but I'm expensive
United States, GA, Snellville
Joined Nov 2003
569 Posts
Piaggio Avanti

As Sophia Loren is to women, the Avanti is to planes.
http://www.flightglobal.com/airspace...anti-9599.aspx
http://www.luxist.com/photos/jamesli...uries/2660419/
http://www.nextcraft.com/p180.html
Ken
Ken Lilja is offline Find More Posts by Ken Lilja
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2011, 03:13 PM
Wanton construction
Stockholm Sweden
Joined Sep 2006
954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNAF View Post
Pouncer, you do have yaw.
See left and right thrusters as tracks of a tank Left two forward, right two rearward = left yaw.
Pitch is done by a valve controlling airflow to rear and front thrusters.

Maybe a little off topic (this post) but the last ten years have proven that dreams come true
Yeah that's why I figured 2 servos were needed for the thrusters.
But I thought some more and if we have this level of control over the nozzles we can ditch the cyclic pitch completely and no need for valves:

Forward/backward translation by rotating the thruster backwards and forwards respectively.
Side to side by propeller torque.
Yaw by thrusters in opposition, like you described.

Horizon, are you taking notes ?
Pouncer is offline Find More Posts by Pouncer
Old Oct 24, 2011, 03:19 PM
Joined Oct 2010
292 Posts
Maybe Lockheed L-133.
sablatnic is offline Find More Posts by sablatnic
Old Oct 24, 2011, 04:05 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,475 Posts
X-4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Oct 24, 2011, 04:52 PM
Joined Oct 2008
239 Posts
I'll go primitive: Fokker DR-1. Maybe it's nothing outlandish, but it seems that most descriptions of them indicate they're pretty squirrely, and this might tame one in a UM size.
djhurlbut is offline Find More Posts by djhurlbut
Old Oct 24, 2011, 05:30 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeofdata View Post
Arrows are flyable now. I have a 19" version (hey that's micro scale for a CF-105). It has a roll wobble issue that a gyro would probably clear easily.

I can't believe no one has yet suggested a V-173 or even better the XF5U Flying Pancake! I tried a V-173 but had problems with roll response, tucking, and matching the thrust well enough to control yaw.
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Learn the ICAO alphabet anyone?
Old Oct 24, 2011, 05:58 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grejen View Post
Arrows are flyable now. I have a 19" version (hey that's micro scale for a CF-105). It has a roll wobble issue that a gyro would probably clear easily.

I can't believe no one has yet suggested a V-173 or even better the XF5U Flying Pancake! I tried a V-173 but had problems with roll response, tucking, and matching the thrust well enough to control yaw.
probably because it's too unmentionably ugly?
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Oct 24, 2011, 06:15 PM
Joined Jul 2009
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grejen View Post

that wold be cool
btw I think it looks fine
pow-wow is offline Find More Posts by pow-wow