HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 21, 2003, 01:14 AM
Must cancel PayPal acct!
AZ
Joined Mar 2003
1,077 Posts
Phoenix 25 BEC rating...why so low?

I have purchased and used a number of CC ESCs and have been pleased. I have also experienced their excellent customer service and support. I am, however, perplexed by the low rating of the Phoenix 25 BEC? Is the 1.5A rating a conservative one or is it set in stone for the most part?

The Phoenix 25 is probably more than adequate for many setups that park fliers use so why is it not rated to handle 4 servos on a 3-cell lipo pack? I just have trouble spending the extra $20 for a higher BEC rating when the 25A current rating is already more than sufficient. I know the argument is a strong one in order to keep from losing a plane but the point is that none of my setups draw more than 15A.

I would really be pleased to see this altered on the Phoenix 25 line, especially considering that so many people are making the switch to lipo cells and generally using 3-cell packs.

Thank you for your time,

Drivie
Drivie is offline Find More Posts by Drivie
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2003, 07:04 AM
Begin with end in mind...
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,580 Posts
Four servos

I will second the need for an upgrade, one thing I might add is I came into this electric thing with close to 10yrs of giant scale experience, 4 servos is common practice in my book. The install is much more simple/reliable not to mention all the mixing capabilities. I have only built one electric it has the phoenix 25 in it with 3s lipos and I must say I am impressed!! I am pushing the electrics in my area (3D foamies) and the four servo question has came up several times as they like to mix, if they do buy all the ingredients lipos will be on the list. I have informed them about the phoenix 25 vs 35 and I dont think the $20.00 will be an issue but I agree with Drivie, most of these applications draw well under 15 amps so it seems like a waste. I realize that lipos are pretty new tech and you folks are most likely working on upgrades but I do think you will hear a lot more about the 1.5 amp bec rating on the 25 in the future. Thanks a bunch for a great product and support!!!!!

POWER
power is offline Find More Posts by power
Old Sep 22, 2003, 01:24 PM
Schumacher USA
Tampa FL
Joined Jul 2000
3,038 Posts
Hey guys, I agree 100%, and am forced to go w/35's myself for four servo apps, and I too think it's an unecessary way to do it for the generation of small 3D capable sub 20A ships out there.

I'll continue to hound Patrick about it - I think we're missing out on market share if we don't do it.

Shawn
Shawn Palmer is offline Find More Posts by Shawn Palmer
Old Sep 22, 2003, 02:14 PM
Olathe,KS,USA
Joined Oct 2000
2,651 Posts
Bigger--- Heavier --- More expensive.

Small -- Cheap -- High BEC capacity. Pick any two.

-Patrick
Patrick del Castillo is offline Find More Posts by Patrick del Castillo
Old Sep 22, 2003, 02:53 PM
Must cancel PayPal acct!
AZ
Joined Mar 2003
1,077 Posts
I can certainly understand your POV Patrick and you are the expert here but I would gladly sacrifice the size, weight and expense of the higher current rating for a higher BEC rating (i.e. 18A or 20A max sustained current with a 3A BEC). Is that an unreasonable way of thinking about it?

I appreciate your response,

Drivie
Old Sep 22, 2003, 03:13 PM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
why not have sockets to allow a switched BEC daughtercard to be added if needed? two products, but you can upgrade one to the other easily.

what IS the amp rating of the 25 and 35 anyways?
opualuan is offline Find More Posts by opualuan
Old Sep 22, 2003, 06:49 PM
Olathe,KS,USA
Joined Oct 2000
2,651 Posts
Actually, I am working on a switcher -- that would be a daughtercard like the BEC board... And it is small enough that it could be added to the 25. So that should be a good solution, but it will add about $30 to the cost.

Patrick
Old Sep 22, 2003, 06:49 PM
Must cancel PayPal acct!
AZ
Joined Mar 2003
1,077 Posts
Supposedly the rating for the BEC on the 25 is 1.5A and the rating on the 35 is 3A.

Drivie
Old Sep 30, 2003, 09:01 PM
Colonial Heights, Virginia, USA
Joined Mar 2001
1,710 Posts
How about regulating the Bec down to 6 volts instead of the usual 5 volts for the higher voltage (more cells) battery packs ???...... most Receivers and servos can handle (and sometimes perform better) on 6 volts and would cause the Bec to have to drop 1 less input volt and should result in LESS Bec wattage (heating) problems....... just looking for any helpful ideas that might result in less linear regulating heating with NO additional weight penalty........... kw
KillerWatt is offline Find More Posts by KillerWatt
Old Oct 01, 2003, 06:09 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,011 Posts
There have been a lot if Futaba digital servo burn outs with 6v. Futaba has optimized their aircraft/helicopter digital servos for 4.8v and their car servos for 6v.
RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Oct 02, 2003, 05:09 AM
Central Florida
Joined Oct 2001
419 Posts
Quote:
Bigger--- Heavier --- More expensive.
Small -- Cheap -- High BEC capacity. Pick any two.
Since the 35 is only $20 more, I now buy that instead, just for the extra BEC power. So I pick Bigger and heavier, if I can have it for say $5 more, most of my setups only use about 25 to 20 amps anyways.

Drew
drewjet is offline Find More Posts by drewjet
Old Dec 03, 2003, 02:06 AM
Echt, Netherlands
Joined Aug 2003
3,000 Posts
Yes indeed

Hi,

Totally agreed.

If the Phoenix-25 would run 4servos at 10cells I would buy it right away. Now I am doubting. The Phoenix-35 is heavier and the AMP's I don't need.

There are new ESC released in Januari (other brand) which are also 25AMP but have also bigger BEC.
Because my plane is still not ready I might wait for that one.
Or buy the Phoenix-35?

Cheers,
Rob
TreeDiver is offline Find More Posts by TreeDiver
Old Dec 03, 2003, 10:29 AM
Olathe,KS,USA
Joined Oct 2000
2,651 Posts
The new 35 (which goes into production this week) is the same size as the 25.... and has a 3 amp BEC.

I'm experimenting with some new design ideas....

Patrick
Old Dec 03, 2003, 02:52 PM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
great. when can we order the new 35's?
opualuan is offline Find More Posts by opualuan
Old Dec 03, 2003, 03:18 PM
Schumacher USA
Tampa FL
Joined Jul 2000
3,038 Posts
great....cat's out of the bag now...

HEY! Who let him out of the office to post?!?!?!?!

Shawn
Shawn Palmer is offline Find More Posts by Shawn Palmer