HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:03 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,231 Posts
Im not sure..But I wouldnt want to try it..lol

I wonder if they got a litle sloppy with the solder on the circuit board.
vettster is offline Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DTRYER ripped me off!!!
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:43 PM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
746 Posts
I'm figuring it was the esc and not a servo or the motor as i think if it was an issue with the servos it would have cooked the Rx and issues with the motor would only become obvious when the motor is running??

Will find out tonight!
nogas is offline Find More Posts by nogas
Last edited by nogas; Dec 16, 2011 at 01:32 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 01:48 AM
London
Joined Feb 2011
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogas View Post
DJ - After some research i am guessing the 5mm collet you are talking about is for the prop adaptor that comes with the motor?? Where do i get one that suits that prop adaptor? or should i just get a 5mm prop adaptor or prop saver?

Also can someone tell me where the 2 aileron servo plugs go in the Rx? Ch 1 and 2 i figure? and then i just mix the channels?
You're right about it being 4mm, not 5mm but I was talking about using it to secure the shaft of the motor once you have converted the motor (Turnigy 2836) to pusher mode. I'll attach some pics of a motor before and after the mod. Note that on the modified motor (the one in the radjet) the shaft extends out of the back of the motor. The 4mm collet holds the shaft in place on the engine mount side instead of the circlip. You could also use a lathe to machine a small groove in the end of the shaft and use the original circlip.

I would not recommend using a prop saver on this set-up, especially not on 4s. Your rpm will be close to 40 000 and I don't think a prop-saver will be up to the task. The standard props are rubbish and I broke mine on the first flight, but I've yet to break an apc prop on this plane. If you're still worried, go with a sports prop, they are a lot stronger.

Sorry to hear about your esc shorting out. My guess is that its a faulty esc. A servo would not be able to cause a short like that (the servo wires would melt before the plug does) and the motor wires can be connected in any order without it making a short ( only the direction of the motor is affected). Get yourself a plush 60A esc. They are not the cheapest, but are rock solid and mine has survived a motor burning out which often fries the esc. The other advantage is that it will cope with any upgraded motor / battery upgrade you could fit on the radjet.

The ailevon wires go in channel 2 &3 if your using spektrum. Basically just connect them in the elevator and aileron channels, apply the ailevon mix in your transmitter, reverse the servo directions as necessary to get the elevators to work correctly, and swap the wires if the ailerons are reversed.

Have fun!
DerkJohn is offline Find More Posts by DerkJohn
Old Dec 16, 2011, 02:40 AM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
746 Posts
Great, thanks for the reply. So the motor shaft will just push through ?(once the circlip is removed) and then i just need to find something that will prevent it from sliding right through (collet at the front and the prop adaptor at the back yeah??)

Sorry i'm coming from 1/8 scale brushless off road and theres no way that you can do this on those motors with the stator / rotors so its all abit foreign.

I might try the prop saver with the stock set up just to get me going but can understand its not suitable for the faster motor on 4S.

The 60A plush is on BO atm Wonder how often they restock??? It certainly seems the most popular esc HK have. The 80A is in but the reviews dont sound so positive.

My Tx is just a HK 6ch job. Its got ailevon mixing and servo reversing so i figure thats all i needed to get started. Dual rates would have been nice but i'll learn to live without them. So the esc is usually in ch 3 on the HK Rx's and with the Bixler 1 and 2 for Aileron and elevator. So figured this would be the same??? Does the mode make a difference??? I'm using mode 2 if it does.
Last edited by nogas; Dec 16, 2011 at 02:52 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 08:22 AM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
746 Posts
The saga continues

I fitted the connectors to the new esc tonight and connected just the esc to the Rx. This time i just tapped the battery connector contacts together with the esc connector contacts and it started to arc again. I tried a different battery and no arcing, so it seems the problem is that battery.

I connected the motor up and gave it a light rev but it sounds shocking. It would only spin very slowly and was quite noisy and sort of bumping between the magnets (not smooth free revving like it should) and i noticed a small puff of smoke.

So, now it looks like the motor is cooked???

I have contacted hobbyking tech support and its been referred to the warranty department and they've asked me send photos of the esc connector and "the battery testing on the charger"??? I figure they mean cycling or charging??? but i'm not game to connect it to my charger in fear it will smoke that too. So we'll see what happens from here, not game to touch anything anymore.

I'm surprised that the battery seems to have caused this. I really cant figure out how though.
Last edited by nogas; Dec 16, 2011 at 08:31 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 02:08 PM
Glow 😡 no no no
Australia, SA, Evanston Park
Joined Mar 2010
4,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogas View Post
The saga continues

I fitted the connectors to the new esc tonight and connected just the esc to the Rx. This time i just tapped the battery connector contacts together with the esc connector contacts and it started to arc again. I tried a different battery and no arcing, so it seems the problem is that battery.

I connected the motor up and gave it a light rev but it sounds shocking. It would only spin very slowly and was quite noisy and sort of bumping between the magnets (not smooth free revving like it should) and i noticed a small puff of smoke.

So, now it looks like the motor is cooked???

I have contacted hobbyking tech support and its been referred to the warranty department and they've asked me send photos of the esc connector and "the battery testing on the charger"??? I figure they mean cycling or charging??? but i'm not game to connect it to my charger in fear it will smoke that too. So we'll see what happens from here, not game to touch anything anymore.

I'm surprised that the battery seems to have caused this. I really cant figure out how though.
Are the red and black wires wired the same on the plug and if so grab a multi meter and check the positive and neg, because it could be wired wrong inside the battery, when using the multi meter connect red to red and black to black and if the read out shows a - voltage then it is reversed inside the battery.
aeromaniac is online now Find More Posts by aeromaniac
Old Dec 16, 2011, 06:03 PM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
746 Posts
Ok, tried the multi on the balance plug first and the negative side cell and middle cell are fine. Around 3.85v each. The positive side cell reads around -15 Mv first but its not steady and seems to keep increasing slowly. I then checked the main connector and it reads - 200 odd Mv and increases slowly. I then checked the positive side cell on balance plug in reverse and it came up 20Mv increasing slowly. So, it would appear that you are spot on, the positive side cell has been soldered in reverse, which has resulted in a short, which cooked the cell.

Using another battery everything connects fine on both esc's but the motor sounds terrible. Is it possible the reversed cell cooked the motor or could this be from damage to the esc's?
Old Dec 17, 2011, 08:12 PM
sunk more than scorp
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2010
1,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerkJohn View Post
Do you mean 3s 1300?

I'm using the outer holes on the control horns with some expo on ailerons as they are very sensitive.
Corrected, cheers DJ.

With a 3s set up I'm now on the inside hole, 20-25%expo snappy when it needs to be, smooths out at a thought .

I'm proud to say after 6 flights... It Still Has A Pointy NOSE!!

And now, because of what I'm reading here I've ordered a Turnigy 4S 1000mAh, has anyone tried to fit one?

Regards,

WO
WitnessOnly is offline Find More Posts by WitnessOnly
Old Dec 17, 2011, 08:44 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,231 Posts
I fit a 4s 2200 turnagy in mine. just cut out some foam in the fues for balance.
vettster is offline Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DTRYER ripped me off!!!
Old Dec 20, 2011, 08:24 AM
sunk more than scorp
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2010
1,139 Posts
Batts have been shipped, might see them before the break
WitnessOnly is offline Find More Posts by WitnessOnly
Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:53 AM
Finlande
Joined Dec 2007
422 Posts
Bonjour to all of you !

Nice thread and lot's of informations here .

Could someone make a comparaison between that Radjet and the regular Funjet ?

Is this plane faster than the Funjet with the same power plant ?

What about the comparatives flight characteristics .

I already have a Funjet with a Het 2w-25 on 4 cells at over 1000 W with a 6x5.5 prop and am wondering if this one is worth or shall I pass ?

I could start with the Turnigy 2836-2350 or 3200 with that 4 S battery :

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...Lipo_Pack.html

Would it also be possible to fit and balance the plane with that battery ?

So lot's of questions in my post and thanks guys for your help !
Jpette is offline Find More Posts by Jpette
Old Dec 27, 2011, 04:36 PM
Glow 😡 no no no
Australia, SA, Evanston Park
Joined Mar 2010
4,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpette View Post
Bonjour to all of you !

I already have a Funjet with a Het 2w-25 on 4 cells at over 1000 W with a 6x5.5 prop and am wondering if this one is worth or shall I pass ?

Sorry cant compare flight performance at this time, due to work, weather and Xmas. I am on my 3rd funjet and thought the radjet would replace it, after getting it, it was clear that while they look similar at first glance, they are infact very different, the radjet in smaller and is harder to fit large batteries and motors. They are both aircraft in their own right and I am glad I have both of them.
aeromaniac is online now Find More Posts by aeromaniac
Old Dec 27, 2011, 09:28 PM
New Brunswick
Joined Feb 2006
1,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpette View Post
Bonjour to all of you !

Good luck! Vettster is using a 4s 2200, not easy to balance but can be done. I'm using this motor: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=12919
with http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl1000-4s1p-30c-4444.html and a 25amp ESC.
I'm getting 4 min flights and It's super light setup! 105mph. not the fastest but easy to balance!
choopi is offline Find More Posts by choopi
Old Dec 27, 2011, 10:13 PM
Finlande
Joined Dec 2007
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromaniac View Post
Sorry cant compare flight performance at this time, due to work, weather and Xmas. I am on my 3rd funjet and thought the radjet would replace it, after getting it, it was clear that while they look similar at first glance, they are infact very different, the radjet in smaller and is harder to fit large batteries and motors. They are both aircraft in their own right and I am glad I have both of them.
Thanks ! So this is a good addition to the Funjet . After 4 years of flying , I still love my Funjet like in the beginning so this Radjet is for me .
Old Dec 27, 2011, 10:20 PM
Finlande
Joined Dec 2007
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choopi View Post
Good luck! Vettster is using a 4s 2200, not easy to balance but can be done. I'm using this motor: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=12919
with http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl1000-4s1p-30c-4444.html and a 25amp ESC.
I'm getting 4 min flights and It's super light setup! 105mph. not the fastest but easy to balance!
According to what I read, the problem for balancing is to push the battery far enough towards the motor.

I was thinking that with the 2836-2350 positionned outside behind the plane like DerJohn did , it could be easier to balance that 4S 2200 pack I was mentioning .

Am I correct guys or should I go with that smaller 4 cells Turnigy 1800-40C pack instead of the 2200 ?
I would love the 65C pack instead but I doubt it will back in stock before a while .

Thanks guys for your help !