HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:22 AM
Joined Jul 2007
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
I agree. I once asked why the Rare Bear with it's fat fuse and big frontal area is the fastest of the Skyangel/HK Funfighters. The answer was the lack of panel lines. I believe they have had one at around 136 mph on a different motor.
Andy
I also herd that the airfoil used was a big factor.
The_RattleSnake is offline Find More Posts by The_RattleSnake
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:46 AM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,967 Posts
The Dually is painted up and almost flight ready.
Went a little wacky on the paint scheme. Would have liked to go with a more correct silver/red/blue Red Bull scheme but none of the silver paint I had left a decently smooth finish like white. Should be good for vis anyway which is the most important thing.

Took her out to the field yesterday but it was a bit windy and I didn't have time to go through all of her systems thoroughly so the maiden will have to wait.

For the first flight at least I'll probably not worry about differential thrust (or counter rotating props), just make sure she flies and handles well before adding this extra layer of complexity.
Got the central elevator mixed in to the elevons, batteries wired in parallel so the motors spin at the same RPM, and left/right sides balanced.
Not sure if I'll launch her from the skid I glued in the center, or maybe an underhand toss grabbing the leading edge-side of the central wing.
Any other ideas?
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:44 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,221 Posts
Nice paint job on the twin. Looking forward to the maiden flight report.
Andy
headlessagain is online now Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:59 PM
ZX-10R pilot
USA, TX, Lumberton
Joined Oct 2005
383 Posts
LOL that's awesome. Should be an interesting maiden!
setxws6 is offline Find More Posts by setxws6
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:41 AM
Joined Jul 2007
770 Posts
Great job you are doing there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post

For the first flight at least I'll probably not worry about differential thrust (or counter rotating props), just make sure she flies and handles well before adding this extra layer of complexity.

Just wondering why you say this.
You will have double torque roll if they both spin the sameway, none of you use counter rotating props.

Counter rotating is a must with duel props!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:33 AM
ZX-10R pilot
USA, TX, Lumberton
Joined Oct 2005
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_RattleSnake View Post
Great job you are doing there.

You will have double torque roll if they both spin the sameway, none of you use counter rotating props.

Agreed
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:29 PM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,967 Posts
Quote:

Since I had flew my JPower P-38 without counter rotating props and the Radjet's 6x4s are smaller and lighter I didn't think it would be necessary but now you have me wondering... that's not a bad idea.
It wouldn't hurt anything to go this route so I'll do it.

Just ordered 2 of each of these:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...ZK90&search=Go
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...PVF3&search=Go

tally ho!
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:38 PM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,726 Posts
Very few full scale twins actually have counter-rotating props. Few RC civilian twins have them either. My DH-88 Comet has them and they are nice but would the plane get airborne without them ? Probably
dahawk47 is offline Find More Posts by dahawk47
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:21 AM
Australia, TAS, Claremont
Joined Jul 2012
77 Posts
That came up well Kurt, good job, cant wait to see a video of it flying!!!
harlyquin76 is offline Find More Posts by harlyquin76
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:04 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,221 Posts
Solentlife has a different approach to converting an HK airframe to a twin with his Parkjet twin. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1292 but will be first to maiden? He is going for contra rotating props on his set up
Andy
headlessagain is online now Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:43 PM
Joined Jul 2012
16 Posts
RadJet Settings

Hi all,,i will be buying a Radjet 800 pnp very soon,,my set up is Spektrum6ch,AR600Rx,,Eflight 30amp esc,,flightmax 1600mah batt.Before i learn how to launch this bird,could someone pls be able to give me some start-off settings for the Rad? I probably will start off slow just to get the feel of it,,wat % for the High@Low rates is a good starting point,,,i really want to get my head around this Jet and i dont particually want to be spending$ on fix ups so i thought it would be a good idea to get some info-i also have numerous peices of carbon fibre rods so any areas that require strength would be appreciated,,,thanks fellas hopefully i can come back with some on bourd footage ,,Emil W.A
Emil in Oz is offline Find More Posts by Emil in Oz
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:23 AM
Joined Jul 2007
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil in Oz View Post
Hi all,,i will be buying a Radjet 800 pnp very soon,,my set up is Spektrum6ch,AR600Rx,,Eflight 30amp esc,,flightmax 1600mah batt.Before i learn how to launch this bird,could someone pls be able to give me some start-off settings for the Rad? I probably will start off slow just to get the feel of it,,wat % for the High@Low rates is a good starting point,,,i really want to get my head around this Jet and i dont particually want to be spending$ on fix ups so i thought it would be a good idea to get some info-i also have numerous peices of carbon fibre rods so any areas that require strength would be appreciated,,,thanks fellas hopefully i can come back with some on bourd footage ,,Emil W.A

If you are using the stock motor you wont need to reinforce it with carbonfibre.
Its very sensative on the roll so %100 for pitch and %60 rates for roll

Set the COG to 400mm from the tip of the nose (measure this BEFORE it gets blunt :P ).
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:30 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,508 Posts
I would run one - or two - CF spar(s) right across into each wing. I used just the one 5mm CF tube spar, but wood skewers for and aft of that to keep thins aligned and their small 'joint support' they will give.
This is because pretty well no foam wing stays on a foamie 'properly' with just glue. Nothing glues it properly... and nothing can hold the forces a wing can have at 90deg to the joint some times. So eventually it will crack and/or break, if no spar.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Skyzone Goggles - Button Shield
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:59 AM
Joined Jul 2007
770 Posts
I broke the 150 MPH barrier in my RadJet today!.
Now i just need to edit it and get a doppler reading for confirmation.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 05:14 PM
ZX-10R pilot
USA, TX, Lumberton
Joined Oct 2005
383 Posts
Quote:
I broke the 150 MPH barrier in my RadJet today!.
Now i just need to edit it and get a doppler reading for confirmation.
We need details on what you did to get that extra mph