HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:22 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,717 Posts
And the Turnigy 2826/6-2200kv with a 5x5 prop is great on 3S.... somewhat faster than stock.
I have to GPS it but it would be 130kph to 150kph range by the looks.
Then on 4S... blistering. But probably still only 160kph to 170kph area.
And you wouldn't want to run it WOT for too much time on 4S as it is really over-stressing the poor motor!!

I will do GPS Speed tests soon.... plus for the APC 5x5 and also APC 4.75x4.75 props, on 3S and 4S..

But in general, 3S is very good speed and what this motor/prop combo (5x5) is best suited for.

My second Radjet has the 2836-2350kv motor, which is a bit heftier and thus will be more powerful and probably 4S suited. But it is not ready still..... not getting time allocated to finish it yet.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SBEC's connected in parallel
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:59 PM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
once I heard about the death spiral I thought "It has never happened to me... for all the things I have done that could or should cause it.".
That's what I thought too....
Luckily my DS ended up in some soft grass, pancaking in with no damage.

pretty funny how uncaring you are about CoG.
I'm not too different, but only flew mine with 3S 1300 batts so I just shoved it as far back as I could and threw her in the air.
Mine required a few clicks of up elevator trim to fly level, and then a little bit of down elevator to fly level inverted so she was probably a bit nose heavy but it never bothered me.
First time I toss the dual RJ will be a bit of a nail biter. Probably going to shoot for a CG about where the stock one was and crank in a good bit of up elevator just to make sure she gets off the deck promptly.
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:04 AM
Joined Apr 2012
924 Posts
how fast will it go with the stockmotor and what ESC do i need for the stock motor? im planning using this bird for FPV, anyone knows flightimes with 3s 2200mah with stockmotor etc?
timtimtim is offline Find More Posts by timtimtim
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:49 AM
Owatonna MN 55060
Joined Sep 2005
1,829 Posts
70mph
20a
10min
Gohmer is online now Find More Posts by Gohmer
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:00 AM
Joined Aug 2012
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
I have also been doing 'attempted death spirals', to no avail....
Firstly just because I had never heard of it and I quite often "climb a mile" then cut power and let it stall out, or flip it over etc. And seeing I have done so many variations, once I heard about the death spiral I thought "It has never happened to me... for all the things I have done that could or should cause it.".
So one part of my "fun" during flights is to continue doing "Vertical climb to a dot", and then cut power and let it just do whatever it is doing (I can't see it) until if "falls" back into range to resume flying it. Or I might cut power and go full aileron... or full up etc.... and wait until I see it well enough to resume flying.
But.....No death spirals so far.....
Personally, I don't even think it would ever do one.
One day I might go "Oh yeah, it can end up in one!! Bugger!!" LOL
Yeah - thats what I though too! Very well behaved and C of G well forward of what others are running (although still about 5mm behind stock).

I thought I would try a spin. Wallowed around and eventually entered a nice stable spin and then suddenly WHAM, flipped round to the opposite sense rotation and spun and spun and spun. Nothing I could do.

I had heard of the Death Spin and have commented on it previously but never witnessed it first hand until now. I had LOADS of height so plenty of time to experiment - power did nothing (stock power set-up - 3 cells), up elevator flattened the spin (rate of rotation increased) and reduced the rate of descent and down elevator steepened the spin (rate of rotation decreased) and increased the rate of descent but would not come out.

Pulled full up to reduce impact speed and 'arrived' with very little damage.

My plan is to add a couple of short 6mm depron strakes to the underside underneath where the fins are. This should provide a bit better directional stability with the strakes in undisturbed air under the wing - my theory (see pervious post) is that the stock vertical fins are very close to the c of g and in the disturbed upper surface air that occurs during a spin which combines to cause a vast reduction in directional stability.
Simon1013 is offline Find More Posts by Simon1013
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:10 AM
ZX-10R pilot
USA, TX, Lumberton
Joined Oct 2005
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtimtim View Post
how fast will it go with the stockmotor and what ESC do i need for the stock motor? im planning using this bird for FPV, anyone knows flightimes with 3s 2200mah with stockmotor etc?
Radjets a fun bird, but I would recommend a Funjet Ultra for FPV use. It has a larger fuselage for placing your equipment and more wing area so it can take the additional weigh better. And the fuselage on the Funjet Ultra is much much stronger foam so it'll take a beating better for those rough FPV landings.
setxws6 is offline Find More Posts by setxws6
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:01 PM
Joined Apr 2012
924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by setxws6 View Post
Radjets a fun bird, but I would recommend a Funjet Ultra for FPV use. It has a larger fuselage for placing your equipment and more wing area so it can take the additional weigh better. And the fuselage on the Funjet Ultra is much much stronger foam so it'll take a beating better for those rough FPV landings.
Thank you but this is just for fun nothing to fly 2km with, how about the skyfun from hk, is it a better choice?
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:57 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,651 Posts
Quote:
Thank you but this is just for fun nothing to fly 2km with, how about the skyfun from hk, is it a better choice?
why chose a radjet there are better options for fpv ,for around the same price

IMO the radjet is jut to small and a bank and yank plane of that ize is not an ideal platform for fpv .
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:34 PM
Joined Apr 2012
924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THESANDMAN View Post
why chose a radjet there are better options for fpv ,for around the same price

IMO the radjet is jut to small and a bank and yank plane of that ize is not an ideal platform for fpv .
i want something fast and small, i already own a bixler but i want something faster that i can just throw in the car and fly at those hurry days. what do you recommend?
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:50 PM
ZX-10R pilot
USA, TX, Lumberton
Joined Oct 2005
383 Posts
Quote:
i want something fast and small, i already own a bixler but i want something faster that i can just throw in the car and fly at those hurry days. what do you recommend?
A funjet! It's a little bigger, has more room for FPV stuff and can handle the extra weight. Also much better foam for rough landings. But go ahead and try a radjet if you want, just don't be surprised it doesn't fly well and doesn't have much room for the FPV stuff. I do some FPV flying too, just haven't gone with a funjet yet. Been flying with slower planes so far. But if I want to go faster I'll go with a funjet no doubt.

Like sandman said, radjet is a yank and bank type of jet and a ball of fun. Also, I don't think the stock motor, esc, and prop will fly a heavier FPV setup either. So you'd have to go with a bigger motor, esc, lipo, prop which will increase weight as well as the weight increase from FPV equipment.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:00 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,651 Posts
Quote:
if you have a bixler get another one clip the wing to 48 inches put a 450 motor on it with a 6x4 prop . it will do a good 80mph . you will still have rudder and elevon

killer planes (3 min 44 sec)

this is more or less what im talking about
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:30 PM
Joined Apr 2012
924 Posts
thanks guys, how about the skyfun? maby that one will fit my needs? it seems to have plenty of room for osd etc. opinoins?
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:43 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,717 Posts
That "Rad-Bixler" (LOL) looks the go....
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SBEC's connected in parallel
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:38 PM
ZX-10R pilot
USA, TX, Lumberton
Joined Oct 2005
383 Posts
Clipped wing blixer, cool idea
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:07 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by setxws6 View Post
Clipped wing blixer, cool idea
yea i had won that plane at a funfly event . so its not my idea but its fun and fast ship to mess around with ,its one of those planes that are cheap to buy and put cheap electronics in it and have fun.