HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:12 AM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,868 Posts
thanks for the link Headless, hadn't seen that cool thread will do some reading.
Here's a thread I bookmarked for programming my DX8 for DT:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=869018

Para - no problem at all flying without the wingtip tanks.
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:17 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Motherwell
Joined Dec 2011
209 Posts
thank Kurt im just gonna cut them off and put thread tape
Paramanic is offline Find More Posts by Paramanic
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:35 AM
ZX-10R pilot
USA, TX, Lumberton
Joined Oct 2005
383 Posts
The wing tanks are there for looks. I chopped the tip of the tanks off and sanded them down to match the wings. This way I didn't loose any of the lift properties they bring, but got rid of the aerodynamic issue with them. Plus I hated how they caught on the ground on most landings and caused ground loops.
setxws6 is offline Find More Posts by setxws6
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:37 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Motherwell
Joined Dec 2011
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by setxws6 View Post
The wing tanks are there for looks. I chopped the tip of the tanks off and sanded them down to match the wings. This way I didn't loose any of the lift properties they bring, but got rid of the aerodynamic issue with them. Plus I hated how they caught on the ground on most landings and caused ground loops.

Yeah mate a noticed this before lol how it sticks to the ground when landing I noticed this lol also all I did was gave them a shave with a razor blade and then used my hinge tape on them
Paramanic is offline Find More Posts by Paramanic
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:56 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,664 Posts
im probaby the only person who like the wing tips . ,lol i hate when mine break off. and it one of the reasons why i dont like the funjet ultra and stick with this and the flyjet x83 and the funjet .
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:07 PM
ZX-10R pilot
USA, TX, Lumberton
Joined Oct 2005
383 Posts
Oh I agree they look neat. But again, they're for looks and not function. And if you're putting a powerful system in your radjet, it probably doesn't matter they're a little aerodynamic, but they suck when it comes to a smooth landing.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:08 PM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,868 Posts
Nope Sandman I like them too
They do occasionally catch the earth on landings and will break right off on even a minor crash unless strategically reinforced, but it's worth the trouble IMO for the looks.
Today I CA'd 2mm carbon rod right in the middle, down the length of them on my dually, and will probably CA a couple more rods ~4" long perpendicular into the wing.

A couple pages I posted a pic of my single RJ after a few big crashes when I cut them off. Flew just fine just didn't look quite as cool.
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:40 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
Nope Sandman I like them too
They do occasionally catch the earth on landings and will break right off on even a minor crash unless strategically reinforced, but it's worth the trouble IMO for the looks.
Today I CA'd 2mm carbon rod right in the middle, down the length of them on my dually, and will probably CA a couple more rods ~4" long perpendicular into the wing.

A couple pages I posted a pic of my single RJ after a few big crashes when I cut them off. Flew just fine just didn't look quite as cool.
never put to much thought into reinforceing them but i think
im going to do that to mine .
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:03 PM
Quad Pilot
Ferndale Wa
Joined Apr 2009
295 Posts
Hey guys just got my Radjet, looking to program in some up elevator for take off Im using my DX6I and HK Orange RX I thought I read in this thread somewhere but for the life of me i cant find it again, any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
ShawnG is offline Find More Posts by ShawnG
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:07 PM
ZX-10R pilot
USA, TX, Lumberton
Joined Oct 2005
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme1 View Post
Hey guys just got my Radjet, looking to program in some up elevator for take off Im using my DX6I and HK Orange RX I thought I read in this thread somewhere but for the life of me i cant find it again, any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Just use some up trim on the first flight or two, get it trimmed to fly straight and you won't need up trim for take offs. Heck I can throw mine up with no throttle, midway up I hit the gas, and it just goes! lol Now I could see some of the guys that have heavier setups using some up trim, but I don't think it's really necessary.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:56 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,908 Posts
On my original stock Radjet it nosed into the ground many times from the hand-launch. It ended up that it was a bit nose heavy - not a lot, but it seems it was just not happy to have to try to get airspeed up in that time, versus nose heavy dragging it downwards.
And I mean there was no way to get it to fly/climb out of the sharp descent angle!

Once I got it better balanced - and it just didn't add up that it was such a small amount nose heavy - it never had the issue again.

Then now with more power, still no issue of course.

I would say it just needs a good 'shove'/throw to make sure it has a good start to be 'flying' right away.
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV Cameras & fixed or pan/tilt
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:02 PM
Owatonna MN 55060
Joined Sep 2005
1,848 Posts
Quote:

Thanks!
I do that with a DX-7, works well. Get into the flap program mode with the RX powered up and adjust the elevator value until you have extra up elevator with the flap switch away from you (normal flap I think)
Gohmer is online now Find More Posts by Gohmer
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:55 AM
Quad Pilot
Ferndale Wa
Joined Apr 2009
295 Posts
Thanks guys for the info, I'll make sure it's balanced proper first add a couple clicks of up elevator until its airborne and trim out from there and then if i have to, program some flaps into it.
ShawnG is offline Find More Posts by ShawnG
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:19 AM
Joined Mar 2006
463 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guys for the info, I'll make sure it's balanced proper first add a couple clicks of up elevator until its airborne and trim out from there and then if i have to, program some flaps into it.
...Unless you installed canards on it, you're not going to get away with flaps.
Since the elevons are the only devices that control pitch, lowering both surfaces (intended as flaps) will only give you a pitch down momentum...
If you have canards, like on the Eurofghter, you have the added benefit of RAISING the flaps (Dave Powers named them "Spoilerons") and you can still control pitch (with the canards acting as elevator) then you have excellent high alpha capabilites. the only thing that is lacking on the standard Radjet (apart from its missing rudders)
MartinT is offline Find More Posts by MartinT
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:18 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,908 Posts
hehe yes.... 'flaperons' (or spoilerons) would just be 'up or down elevator'....

Lately I have been really slack balancing the Radjet. I use 5 different battery types and just 'guesstimate' "This one goes about here" and there is a fair amount of error. I don;t even remember where the same type goes from flight to flight (if gapped by another type in between to confuse things)
1000mAH 3S 45C, 1300 3S 35C, 1300 4S 35C, through 1800mAH 4S, to 2200mAH 3S
And it flies totally fine always... which is why I have given up even caring about CofG much!

I have also been doing 'attempted death spirals', to no avail....
Firstly just because I had never heard of it and I quite often "climb a mile" then cut power and let it stall out, or flip it over etc. And seeing I have done so many variations, once I heard about the death spiral I thought "It has never happened to me... for all the things I have done that could or should cause it.".
So one part of my "fun" during flights is to continue doing "Vertical climb to a dot", and then cut power and let it just do whatever it is doing (I can't see it) until if "falls" back into range to resume flying it. Or I might cut power and go full aileron... or full up etc.... and wait until I see it well enough to resume flying.
But.....No death spirals so far.....
Personally, I don't even think it would ever do one.
One day I might go "Oh yeah, it can end up in one!! Bugger!!" LOL
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV Cameras & fixed or pan/tilt