HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:32 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
LOL, that is not a warbird, that is a 'funfighter'!
"Warbirds' fly like they should.... to scale speed (approx). And are more scale too (standoff scale generally).
But the funfighter range are a good/novelty mix of looking like a warbird, but flying like scalded cats!
exactly .im sure just like these radjets , wings ,strykers , that are modded to fly at extreme speeds . warbirds can be made to do the same. i should had been more clear . warbird as basically know to be flown scale( which to me equals slow).for a warbird to fly at over 120mph . cost about the same to make an edf jet fly at that speed of 120mph .id rather spend half that money on one of these and fly it the ground and recycle. as i said i got an A-1 skyraider 1600mm and a 70mm f-18 but i keep em stock . i like them but not the way i like these sort of planes.
cheers.
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:09 AM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,868 Posts
Bluefoam central wing shaped, carbon wing spars test fit (5mm tube running wing tip to wing tip, two 4mm rods one ~1/2 way in wings and another in front just into the wings), ESCs and MG servos (3, one for central elevator) test fit.
Now adding CF strips to the nose structures, then will glue everything together.
Any suggestions on a lightweight filler to smooth out some areas of bumpy EPO and transitions?
thanks!
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:02 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,032 Posts
Here are a couple of links for you
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1663858
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21561
Andy
headlessagain is online now Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:47 AM
ZX-10R pilot
USA, TX, Lumberton
Joined Oct 2005
383 Posts
I know on mine I used gorilla glue, then sanded the seems to get a smoother finish, but I'm sure there's a better way.

This should be interesting to see a dual motor siamese radjets come together!
setxws6 is offline Find More Posts by setxws6
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:01 AM
Australia, TAS, Claremont
Joined Jul 2012
77 Posts
How are you planning to launch that machine when its complete Kurt?
harlyquin76 is offline Find More Posts by harlyquin76
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:21 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,877 Posts
"Wing throw" it..... I guess....

It is going to look awesome!!!
And even better if in a X-wing form at some stage!
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:27 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,868 Posts
Thanks much Headless - I always look for that lightweight spackle at the Home stores but never seem to find it. Guess I'll have to resort to asking someone there!

Harley - Haven't 100% worked out how to launch her yet. I have a large Dubro tail skid I may glue to the central wing by the CG to grab, don't know that I'd feel comfortable frisbee-throwing it at least on her maiden! :/

Thanks Peter. This one won't be getting X-Wings, but maybe the next.... I do have an extra set of wings now, too bad they don't sell just the fuse for the 800

Set - I'm using GG on all the CF reinforcement, trimming off the excess with a sharp knife when it's set but not yet fully hardened. Not a super smooth or even filler so I'm going to get hold of that light spackle.
Not settled on the finish yet either. The stickers I pulled off definitely gave the wings and vert stabs strength, which can't really be recreated by painting (I tried mixing talcum powder with WBPU paint on my Stinger jet and it didn't seem to provide any more protection than pure Poly). Will likely at least clear-tape the wing's leading edges, but as for paint and color still thinking about it.
All black (except the white plastic belly skids for orientation) would be pretty badass, or maybe a bright (orange/blue?) urban camo?

Installed a 3x1mm CF strip down the belly from nose to tail, which together with the others makes the fuse rock solid.
Probably going overboard with the carbon but from my experience with the single radjet crashes DO happen :/

Also skewered 2x2 box tube CF in the vert stabs.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:50 PM
ZX-10R pilot
USA, TX, Lumberton
Joined Oct 2005
383 Posts
Looks great Kurt. The little weight in CF really won't matter much with all the extra wing area you have with this project. And the stiffness will be really nice for flying true and help with rough landings. Keep us up to date on the progress.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:21 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,868 Posts
Thanks will do.
True about the minor CF/GG weight gain, but even with the central wing adding ~40% more total wing area there is ~75% more weight with the extra fuse, battery, ESC and motor so she's not going to float nearing as well as a single RJ.
I somehow missed Harley's post-crash pic on the previous page of his canard-RJ. Sorry to see that, really neat plane.
It does illustrate the structure's main weakness: the cockpit area of the foreward fuse which is why I'm going overboard with CF strips on the bottom, top and sides (embedded ~3" into the thick part of the wing root).
The outer wings will be able to withstand a thermonuclear blast, but the blue foam is more brittle so I may run a strip lengthwise down the top surface.

BTW Harley I assume one of the aileron clevises broke? Had you stressed it alot taking off/putting on? I'm using metal gear airleron servos and proper hinges, you're making me think I should buy some quality clevises while I'm at it...
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:44 PM
Australia, TAS, Claremont
Joined Jul 2012
77 Posts
Hey Kurt, yeah it was the left aileron clevis. when i 1st set the plane up i took it on and off allot but that was almost a year ago.
The radjet is fixable but after being glued back together and reshaped so many times its starting to look a tad used, so my new Radjet should be here in a few days.
$50 posted y not?
harlyquin76 is offline Find More Posts by harlyquin76
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:11 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,868 Posts
I'll pick up a Dubro set next time at the hobby store just for piece of mind.
$50 shipped is a deal! My 2 kits were $33 each, but then shipping to the US cost $60 (only $15 or so more for the second).
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:26 PM
ZX-10R pilot
USA, TX, Lumberton
Joined Oct 2005
383 Posts
Kurt don't forget the fuelages have lift properties as well as the wings. I don't think weight will be problem though. The radjet in stockish weight floats good. I have a funjet with a powerful setup 4s 3300mah lipos and 100a esc, so it weighs more than a stockish funjet, but it still floats very well. I think this will do the same, just get the cg correct. Should have plenty of power too huh
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:32 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,868 Posts
Good point the 2nd fuse will also contribute to lift (and drag of course).
I'm expecting very nice power, surely enough for a vertical take off if I make up a simple rocket-launcher type rig.
My dearly departed single RJ with 2826 and 3S was plenty fast enough for me, this'll have twice the power and only ~1.75x the weight.
The main reason I started thinking about a twin was because I really miss having yaw control and thought it would be neat to have differential thrust. The extra power is just a nice side effect
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:38 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,032 Posts
The differential thrust will also allow you to adjust for any minor differences in the actual kv of the "identical" motors. Would be useful to use a tacho on each motor at different power setting to see how closely matched they are.
Foam and tapes "The Twins: multi purpose cargo plane" has some useful info about setting up differential thrust if this helps http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1124466
Andy
headlessagain is online now Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:25 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Motherwell
Joined Dec 2011
209 Posts
does this plane need the end parts of the wing? i dont know what you call it but its the pointed parts at end of the wings lol
mines snapped in half and i choped them off not flown yet but wonderd if it would make a difference
Paramanic is offline Find More Posts by Paramanic