HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:31 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,275 Posts
That is COOL !!! Flying from a backyard!
I have been meaning to do that for a long time, but between 'forgetting' to work it out, and selecting a suitable plane to do it, I have never got around to it.
A big back yard here too.... and also a carport roof that can be walked/stood on. To see long range from!! Lots of trees in the area too, to give options for excitement!!!
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:21 PM
ZX-10R pilot
USA, TX, Lumberton
Joined Oct 2005
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
That is COOL !!! Flying from a backyard!
I have been meaning to do that for a long time, but between 'forgetting' to work it out, and selecting a suitable plane to do it, I have never got around to it.
A big back yard here too.... and also a carport roof that can be walked/stood on. To see long range from!! Lots of trees in the area too, to give options for excitement!!!
Yea it is pretty cool! The secret to my success is that I've kept the Radjet light, basically the same weight as stock, just more power. So it will slow down and glide really well with the low wingloading. Plus it's a blast to be able to fly a jet that'll cruise around 70-90mph and still land in a backyard. It's without a doubt the best bang for the buck plane I've ever owned.
setxws6 is offline Find More Posts by setxws6
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:48 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
245 Posts
My Turnigy 2836-2350kv burned out on me this weekend running 4s.

Ordered the Toysonics 2836 2600kv motor, it's rated for 5s and 800 watts, so hopefully it will be more reliable.
nofreee is offline Find More Posts by nofreee
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:49 AM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by setxws6 View Post
Plus it's a blast to be able to fly a jet that'll cruise around 70-90mph and still land in a backyard. It's without a doubt the best bang for the buck plane I've ever owned.
Nice job!!
+1 on the bang for the buck

I love mine so much (even if she is looking pretty dinged up, flies like a champ) just got two more.
Initially planned on cutting off the forward fuse of one to replace the bashed up one on my #1, and using the extra set of wings to make an x-wing Radjet, maybe with single axis thrust vectoring.

But then an idea came to me.... why not join the two fuselages and have twin engines and differential thrust? Oh YEAH!

Not sure if I'll try an x-wing config or just single (or something crazier), but having two 2826-6 2200kVs, two 3S 1300mAh 45-90C batts, and one RX with L/R ESCs mixed with rudder should result in one heck of a powerful and fun bird.

X-Wing or drooped wings would allow wheels in the wing tips, and either a micro retract or steerable nose wheel for ROG.

If I go the simplest route i.e. side-by-side fuselages and single wings will probably add a 2-3" shaped spacer to provide some additional lift to counteract the extra weight of two motors, ESCs, batteries etc. Would also allow larger props (6" props would just about be touching with no spacer between fuses) and increase the differential thrust effect.

Stay tuned!
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
Last edited by Kurt; Sep 26, 2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:23 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,805 Posts
whoa - look what's coming soon at HK:

HobbyKing Daily - Vectoring Thrust Motor (3 min 41 sec)

forget making my own, Radjet #1 is getting one of these!
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:14 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,880 Posts
I don't think that 100 watts and 40 gram motor weight will cut it on the Radjet. However, you might get away with more on a pusher configuration
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:33 AM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,805 Posts
yeah the 2826 motor is 50g and even on 3S way more than 100W but you're thinking like I am, the W limit is likely based on tractor config.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:03 AM
Australia, TAS, Claremont
Joined Jul 2012
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
Nice job!!
+1 on the bang for the buck

I love mine so much (even if she is looking pretty dinged up, flies like a champ) just got two more.
Initially planned on cutting off the forward fuse of one to replace the bashed up one on my #1, and using the extra set of wings to make an x-wing Radjet, maybe with single axis thrust vectoring.

But then an idea came to me.... why not join the two fuselages and have twin engines and differential thrust? Oh YEAH!

Not sure if I'll try an x-wing config or just single (or something crazier), but having two 2826-6 2200kVs, two 3S 1300mAh 45-90C batts, and one RX with L/R ESCs mixed with rudder should result in one heck of a powerful and fun bird.

X-Wing or drooped wings would allow wheels in the wing tips, and either a micro retract or steerable nose wheel for ROG.

If I go the simplest route i.e. side-by-side fuselages and single wings will probably add a 2-3" shaped spacer to provide some additional lift to counteract the extra weight of two motors, ESCs, batteries etc. Would also allow larger props (6" props would just about be touching with no spacer between fuses) and increase the differential thrust effect.

Stay tuned!
would love to see a video of at least one of those creations flying, i especially like the x wing design
Great job!!!
harlyquin76 is offline Find More Posts by harlyquin76
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:51 PM
Joined Nov 2006
10,275 Posts
It would be interesting to see if an X Wing design even flew.... half properly.... for a start.
And would be surporising, and great, if it actually did just fly totally fine and 'properly'!!!
Then it could even be something out of the ordinary AND worthwhile to do!
The Radjet, as can be seen, makes a perfect base for such a vehicle. But I wouldn't want two fuselages! Just link all the wings into one body.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:30 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,805 Posts
Thanks Harly, video will definitely be forthcoming

Pete - I'm pretty set on twin motors, and twin fuses offer the cleanest motor mounting solution not to mention twice the room for 2 ESCs and double the battery.
I also dig look of twin cockpits. Kind of like P-38 but in reverse, or a futuristic twin Mustang.
Wiring won't be that messy, I'll just have to route throttle, servo and battery leads from one side to the one with the RX.
Whether to use 2 or 4 servos with an X-Wing is one question. Could use pushrods to save weight, or one servo per wing for better looks.
In either case the extra weight of 4 wings will require more weight up front to balance, which is why twin fuses makes more sense to me from a function point of view. Almost double the lift, with less than double the drag.
Aerodynamics wise I think an X-Wing would work well. Could even program in yaw with down on the top wing's elevon and up on the down wing. But with two motors whose relative speed is linked to the rudder this isn't necessary, at least while you're under power

I also just today received these landing gear for my Stinger Sports Jet:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17944

Although I really don't care for fixed gear, they're relatively light, slim and unobtrusive and could be adapted quite easily to the RJ. Take-offs and especially landings are some of my favorite things about flying RC planes
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:36 PM
Joined Nov 2006
10,275 Posts
Yeah, definitely take-offs and landings are a great. But I HATE seeing LG during flight.
So it is retracts, or none.
The Stinger is well suited to be a handlauncher anyway really. Same for the Radjet. They are more 'sports/fun' aircraft.
Have fun with those just throwing them..... and save the takeoff/landings for nicer scale aircraft, LOL.

I guess it is just sort of a mindset thing....
I just throw a handlauncher, but have each one worked out so I fly them off dead level at about shoulder height, and the fly onwards as if that was the take-off roll and then climb away later - maybe after 10m to 20m. And belly landings can be imagined as very close to landing on gear anyway for those. You still do all the same process, and they still slide/roll-out too! lol
So all in all, it still fulfills a pretty realistic take-off and landing process for those too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:50 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
245 Posts
Got the Toysonics 2836-2600kv motor shaft reversed and mounted up today.

APC 5.5x4.5 on 4s was pulling about 860 watts and 60ish amps.
nofreee is offline Find More Posts by nofreee
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:52 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,880 Posts
Hi Kurt
have you seen this video? I know it would be difficult to make the wings open and close but it might help you decide on control surfaces/movements. Note that this scratch build also employed canards
RC StarWars X-Wing Fighter (2 min 41 sec)

Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:11 AM
Joined Sep 2012
2 Posts
Hi I have a Radjet 800 what glue i have to use to build them, I want also put u carbon fibre in wings??
mocio is offline Find More Posts by mocio
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:54 AM
ZX-10R pilot
USA, TX, Lumberton
Joined Oct 2005
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocio View Post
Hi I have a Radjet 800 what glue i have to use to build them, I want also put u carbon fibre in wings??
I recommend Gorilla Glue fast dry white kind.
setxws6 is offline Find More Posts by setxws6