HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:36 AM
Joined Dec 2007
624 Posts
good luck mate. i hope you have more success with it than i have so far!
mrmurder1975 is offline Find More Posts by mrmurder1975
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:26 AM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FltLtBiggles View Post
I'm going to maiden my Radjet today just after work. After reading some of the posts in this thread I'm a little worried...
My current takeoff & flight check/plan is:
All control surfaces trimmed at a neutral position: Check
Full power: Check
Throw slightly to the right: Check
Dont fly too slow or you will encounter the death spiral: Check
Try not to crash: Check

Any other tips gents?

Thanks

Biggles
Assume you're using a 1300mAH 3S battery?
The only time mine entered anything like a "spin of death" was after a high altitude tail slide. Was able to pull her together with some throttle after maybe 100' drop, no big deal. And it doesn't even happen every time, maybe 1/2, the other she just comes to a halt, slides backwards and the nose flips down like it should.
I haven't seen any kind of bad tendencies (knock on wood) while just cruising along, even tried a few power-off stall tests and she just dropped her nose with very little roll.
I'd start with a bit (maybe 1/16" deflection) of up elevator trim, just to make sure she'll climb ASAP.
Mine didn't require any special throwing style, either with the stock motor and prop, or now with a 2826 and 5x5. Throttle up (I use ~3/4), point into the wind, and give her a healthy toss with a slightly nose high attitude. She drops a few feet but there's enough time to move my right hand back to the stick to pull her up a bit for the few brief seconds it takes to accelerate to warp speed.

Tally ho!
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:17 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmurder1975 View Post
where did you get that flycat from and what setup do you run on it? it looks sweet!
Looks like you and TheSandman have found the answer. I did post a link to the HK site and motor supplier on the Youtube vid. Here is a short thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1577982.
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:40 PM
ZX-10R pilot
USA, TX, Lumberton
Joined Oct 2005
383 Posts
Not sure how that canard radjet flies but it sure looks nice!
setxws6 is offline Find More Posts by setxws6
Old Sep 01, 2012, 03:18 AM
Australia, QLD, Townsville
Joined Jul 2011
224 Posts
Was coming for a low pass at WOT today and slammed into the bushes. I thought " there goes another one", but to my amazement she totally survived the crash, apart from a few dings in the leading edges of the wings. That carbon fibre strengthening works wonders.

I fly this bird on 3 and 4s, really enjoying it. Flying the pylon course keeps you on your toes.
medroller is offline Find More Posts by medroller
Old Sep 01, 2012, 03:19 AM
Australia, QLD, Townsville
Joined Jul 2011
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by setxws6 View Post
Not sure how that canard radjet flies but it sure looks nice!
Have to agree on that one.
medroller is offline Find More Posts by medroller
Old Sep 01, 2012, 05:43 AM
Australia, TAS, Claremont
Joined Jul 2012
77 Posts
Video of the radjed 800 canard test
Radjet 800 canard test (1 min 57 sec)
harlyquin76 is offline Find More Posts by harlyquin76
Old Sep 01, 2012, 06:04 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,664 Posts
that is a nice mod . nice video too.
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Sep 01, 2012, 10:46 AM
Australia, TAS, Claremont
Joined Jul 2012
77 Posts
Cool thanks, im really happy with the mod, like flying a new plane
harlyquin76 is offline Find More Posts by harlyquin76
Old Sep 02, 2012, 01:34 PM
Joined Sep 2012
32 Posts
I am having trouble getting my radjet to fly. Everytime I launch it, it goes forward for few meters, until it is low enough to hit the field. I am unable to get it to pull up.

I tried pushing the battery "inside" the plane, and the CG is aproximately where the manual tells it to be. I measured the weight of the plane to be 425 grams, which is just 25 above the 400 indicated in the manual.

The elevator surfaces move fine, and are very rigid. I was unable to move them by hand without breaking something while powered on, so they should not cause a problem either.

I tried different kind of surface throws from very small angle to very hard one.
Do you have any tips to try or things to check?
varesa is offline Find More Posts by varesa
Old Sep 02, 2012, 03:32 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,032 Posts
Try moving the pack back so that it balances at 400m from the nose. Most reckon that the manuals stated c of g is too nose heavy. Also add a touch of up trim on the elevons as most elevon planes seem to like a little reflex
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Sep 02, 2012, 03:37 PM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlyquin76 View Post
Video of the radjed 800 canard test
Nicely done! I have to say that elevator response isn't something I find lacking in the Radjet, but props to you for a nicely done mod.
Looks like she can now fly slower than a stock one?

Could you pls post a pic(s) of the mechanism inside?

I've shelved my L/R vectoring motor mount plans for a little bit, for now just going to enjoy flying it as is (2826 2000rpm/kV motor).
tally ho!
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
Old Sep 02, 2012, 04:16 PM
Joined Sep 2012
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
Try moving the pack back so that it balances at 400m from the nose. Most reckon that the manuals stated c of g is too nose heavy. Also add a touch of up trim on the elevons as most elevon planes seem to like a little reflex
Thank you for you response

I can't really move the batteries any further back, as that space gets smaller. They are already as far back as I can get them.

I have also tried trimming it up. It doesn't seem to pull up, no matter how much (or little) I pull the stick
Old Sep 02, 2012, 04:34 PM
Owatonna MN 55060
Joined Sep 2005
1,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by varesa View Post
I am having trouble getting my radjet to fly. Everytime I launch it, it goes forward for few meters, until it is low enough to hit the field. I am unable to get it to pull up.

I tried pushing the battery "inside" the plane, and the CG is aproximately where the manual tells it to be. I measured the weight of the plane to be 425 grams, which is just 25 above the 400 indicated in the manual.

The elevator surfaces move fine, and are very rigid. I was unable to move them by hand without breaking something while powered on, so they should not cause a problem either.

I tried different kind of surface throws from very small angle to very hard one.
Do you have any tips to try or things to check?
Do you have the prop on right?
Gohmer is online now Find More Posts by Gohmer
Last edited by Gohmer; Sep 04, 2012 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Added Image
Old Sep 02, 2012, 04:38 PM
Joined Sep 2012
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohmer View Post
Do you have the prop on right?
Do you mean the right way? I'll have to check tomorrow, as I am away from the plane right now