SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 14, 2012, 04:23 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by setxws6 View Post
I bet the radjet would be much faster than the flyjet given equal setups...
no doubt about it . the flyjet has a draggy air frame .comparred to this jet . i was going to get this one first but it was out of stock so i got the flyjet , now the flyjet is out of stock and this one isnt so it works out that i have an option
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2012, 02:29 PM
Gravity hates me.
Joined Aug 2011
182 Posts
If I do not change anything else. Stock prop and motor, will I get better performance by switching to a 25 amp esc?
3dRCrazy is offline Find More Posts by 3dRCrazy
Old Aug 14, 2012, 02:48 PM
ZX-10R pilot
USA, TX, Lumberton
Joined Oct 2005
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dRCrazy View Post
If I do not change anything else. Stock prop and motor, will I get better performance by switching to a 25 amp esc?
Prob not. Do some cutting and replace the motor for 10-20 bucks, throw in a reliable cheap 40A. It all depends on if you want to keep it light or go a little heavier, and also what batteries you want to use
setxws6 is offline Find More Posts by setxws6
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:00 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,214 Posts
"25A" just means what it can cope with (supposedly). The setup (motor/prop/battery) set the real current )Amps) draw.
The best way to easily improve the Radjet is another prop. 5x5 area, as mentioned across many posts before.

That will give an instant large speed gain. It also means the current (power draw) will rise, but that is fine with all things still stock.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - what NOT to buy !!!
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:32 AM
Joined Jul 2007
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiko View Post
What kind of speed/MPH are you getting out of a 2836/2350kv....and with what prop?

Thanks,
-mike-
Around 200kph on the level with an APC 5.5x4.5
The_RattleSnake is offline Find More Posts by The_RattleSnake
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:22 AM
Gravity hates me.
Joined Aug 2011
182 Posts
I'm using a 1300 mah 3s with stock motor and esc. So of I change the prop to a apc 5 by 5 prop and I will get more performance but wil draw more amps. But it will be fine for the stock esc, is that what ur saying?
3dRCrazy is offline Find More Posts by 3dRCrazy
Old Aug 15, 2012, 01:48 PM
ZX-10R pilot
USA, TX, Lumberton
Joined Oct 2005
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dRCrazy View Post
I'm using a 1300 mah 3s with stock motor and esc. So of I change the prop to a apc 5 by 5 prop and I will get more performance but wil draw more amps. But it will be fine for the stock esc, is that what ur saying?
Yes it will be fine. Performance won't be insane just from this, but will improve. But the only problem with changing out to an APC is that when you land, if the prop is pointed down for any reason when it touches down, you will probably bend the little cheap shaft on the stock motor. The stock prop is very bendable and saves the shaft from bending, the APC doesn't bend much.

But this will give you a good excuse to buy a better motor and esc like I did, then the fun really begins.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:15 PM
Owatonna MN 55060
Joined Sep 2005
1,887 Posts
Stock prop is a 5.5 diameter by mystery pitch. I tried a 5X5 and didn't like it as well, less thrust for launch.

If you shorten the shaft of the stock motor to where the collet bottoms on the motor housing you won't bend shafts.

Stock on 4cell is about as fast as the MicroDan one on 3cell.

The PNP has a motor with a brown housing and slots. ARF and BNF have black motor housings with round holes. PNP motor and ESC is holding up well to 4cell so far. No experience with the other motor.
Gohmer is offline Find More Posts by Gohmer
Last edited by Gohmer; Aug 16, 2012 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Added Image
Old Aug 16, 2012, 01:57 PM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,927 Posts
Had a semi-successful maiden yesterday with my Radjet 800.
I'm coming from foam warbirds but a guy at my local field (Bong Recreational Area) was having a ball tearing around with a Funjet last month so it got me looking into something similar, hence the Radjet.
Beefed up the nose with 2 strips of CF and gave it a coating of epoxy before the maiden. Good thing too, because about 4 minutes into the first battery pack (1300mah 3S 45-90C nano-tech) I lost orientation during a fast series of rolls and spiked her into the earth! The gods were smiling at me thankfully, putting her down in a patch of 6' tall reeds. Only dirtied her nose a bit, absolutely nothing crumpled, broken or even bent. Tossed her right back into the air.
I also installed a 4mm carbon tube through the fuse and a bit more than 1/2 way into each wing. Figured if (when) I ever go for a bigger motor a stiffer structure will be nice.
Anyway, really enjoying my first elevon/pusher/no rudder Radjet, looking forward to many more flights!
cheers and thanks all for the input in this thread. Haven't read every page yet but will.
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
Old Aug 16, 2012, 02:14 PM
Owatonna MN 55060
Joined Sep 2005
1,887 Posts
Looks good Kurt. Get another one on order just in case! ARF is in stock now. That's the best one to get.

RadJet is my first jet also. Having lots of fun with them! Not as many spikes lately. Keep the speed up on it. It doesn't like sudden changes in direction at low speeds.
Gohmer is offline Find More Posts by Gohmer
Old Aug 16, 2012, 02:24 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohmer View Post
Looks good Kurt. Get another one on order just in case! ARF is in stock now. That's the best one to get.

RadJet is my first jet also. Having lots of fun with them! Not as many spikes lately. Keep the speed up on it. It doesn't like sudden changes in direction at low speeds.
Thanks Gohmer.
Get an ARF now? Oh yee of little faith
I've got a D2826-6 2200kv motor and various props (5x5, 6x4) on the way because I needed other stuff and figured why not, but should be happy with the stock performance for a while.
I know what you mean about slow speed stability, she was wagging her tail around a bit but it was a bit gusty.
Thinking it would be fun to install rudders over the winter, probably posts in this thread about it have to do some searching.
happy flying!
Last edited by Kurt; Aug 16, 2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 04:07 PM
ZX-10R pilot
USA, TX, Lumberton
Joined Oct 2005
383 Posts
Great idea with the carbon to stiffen the nose up. Might try this out!
Old Aug 16, 2012, 04:28 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,927 Posts
thanks Set, I have a bunch left over from stiffening the wings on my P51 so it's an easy and effective countermeasure against inevitable oopsies.
I used pieces of 1.2x7mm strip from rcfoam.com on the top and bottom of the nose. Cut a ~7-8mm deep slice with a Xacto then CA's the CF flush with the surface: http://www.rcfoam.com/product_info.p...770b72e863282b
Also speared some 1mm CF rod into the wingtip "tanks" with CA to give them some extra strength, and covered the wing's leading edge with clear packing tape.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 04:14 AM
Australia, SA, Parafield
Joined Oct 2009
314 Posts
Hi gang,

I've just got a new radjet and have been having a little trouble setting it up, looking for some tips plz.

First problem was when I found that CA glue doesn't stick to the foam, so I ended up using epoxy instead and now it's rock solid.

I'm planning on putting a some 1mmx3mm carbon spars in each wing as well to prevent them from flexing. I was gonna run one spar in each wing. I've included a pic to show where i'm planning on running the spars, does it seem like a good idea?

One thing i noticed is the contradiction in the CG listed in the manual, the manual describes the point as being 383mm from the nose of the plane, or 10mm back from the square bit closest to the leading edge (see the pic) but there is a variation of 9mm between the two points! I've attached a close up of the CG marks on my jet for reference.

Something i need advice on is how do ppl get this thing to balance with larger lipos in it? I'm trying to balance it to run with a 4s 1300 nanotech, but even with heaps of extra room hollowed out and with the lipo pushed all the way back against the ESC, the CG point is only 5mm behind the stock CG (as measured from the square bit), when most ppl seem to recommend 10-15mm behind stock. Rattlesnake recommends 400mm back, which is 17mm behind the stock location and indicated on my model as the top line.

I shouldn't have much trouble getting it to balance with a 1300mah 3s pack, but there's no way i would have got it to balance without carving out a substantial amount of foam... Plug and fly my A$$
Dillzio is offline Find More Posts by Dillzio
Last edited by Dillzio; Aug 18, 2012 at 04:59 AM.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 04:26 AM View Post
colin269
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Off Topic Advertisement. Show it to me anyway.