HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 20, 2012, 04:13 AM
Albufeira - Portugal
Joined Mar 2010
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
so, its still in there tight and you just tap it until it sticks out the other end instead? and its still tight in there? I dont quite fully understand. I have my plane all together, but I need to get this motor fixed so I can install it. please help anyone. tons of you have used this motor, how did you fix the shaft?
Yes, still well tight.
BrunoD is offline Find More Posts by BrunoD
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:31 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,730 Posts
Well, I took the Radjet out to the field today and flew probably six or eight packs through her.

What fun! Winds are 10-15, gusting to 20mph. I decided that since my ARF is not in yet, I would wait until it arrives to resume my stall testing, so that if I do pack it in, I can use the ARF to get me going again. Don't want to be without the Radjet!

So, instead, I raced around at full throttle, doing back to back loops, rolls, and low passes, then throttled back and just cruised a bit, and then I throttled back to barely an idle, and gave full up elevator while off the edge of our hill, and was nearly sloping in one place! I think if I did not have it nose heavy and also just generally heavy due to running a 1300 instead of a 1000 batt, plus all the epoxy I needed to layer in to glue this thing back together over the course of several crashes, that I could have turned throttle completely off and just hung there.

The speed envelope of this plane is just incredible -- from nearly a hundred to nearly zero, and all under complete control!

I am so glad it flies perfectly fine after my last crash -- looking closely at it, the front of the fuse is kind of "S" shaped, and those wing tips are busted off, etc... I kind of like having the little bits left on the end of the wing though, coming at me right down the field in the morning light, the bright flat foam shines almost like nav lights, and gives the best orientation info to pilot by, since the fuse and wings almost disappear when it is coming at you.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Mar 20, 2012, 02:27 PM
Standing Athwart History
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2011
603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
I kind of like having the little bits left on the end of the wing though, coming at me right down the field in the morning light, the bright flat foam shines almost like nav lights, and gives the best orientation info to pilot by, since the fuse and wings almost disappear when it is coming at you.
Hmm, I have some reflector tape laying around....
roo_ster is offline Find More Posts by roo_ster
Old Mar 20, 2012, 02:32 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roo_ster View Post
Hmm, I have some reflector tape laying around....
I wished I had my glasses-cam on for this AM's flights, you could see first-hand -- it is quite a dramatic effect!

Not sure it will stay that bright after a few more dozen landings in our grass and dirt field, but for now the tips look almost illuminated on the low passes over the runway.

Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:29 AM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
so, its still in there tight and you just tap it until it sticks out the other end instead? and its still tight in there? I dont quite fully understand. I have my plane all together, but I need to get this motor fixed so I can install it. please help anyone. tons of you have used this motor, how did you fix the shaft?
Check this vid, really easy to do. Once you've loosened the grub screw and removed the c clip it should punch through quite easily. I put a collet on the other end (once its pushed through) to secure it.

Converting your Turnigy Motor to a Pusher Mount (2 min 29 sec)
nogas is offline Find More Posts by nogas
Old Mar 21, 2012, 08:11 AM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,177 Posts
thanks, I got it figured out, but instead of a collett, I just dremeled a flat spot into the shaft for the set screw to tighten onto to hold it and still used the c clip on the other end as well. I think its good to go now. I got my radjet all done except sanding out some foam to get the esc and battery to fit. once I do that I Am ready to go. its been raining none stop for days here, but this weekend is looking good if its not too windy.
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:13 AM
Rookie
Australia, VIC
Joined Jun 2011
1,209 Posts
Just ordered my Radjet, been wanting one for ages but decided to build a MPX Funjet instead
Finished the Funjet now so time for something new!
Will be using a Turnigy 2826/6 motor with H-King 35A ESC
6x4 sport prop
Running 3s 2200 packs and will also use 4s 1800 40c for some fun!
planex is online now Find More Posts by planex
Old Mar 24, 2012, 03:33 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,177 Posts
went to maiden my radjet today finally. 5-10mph winds. I throttled to about 80%-90% and threw into the wind and it went nose down pretty fast and before I had much time to do anything, it had hit the ground and broke off one side of the front end battery bay area. luckily it didnt really bend anything, just a clean break, so it glued back together real easy. one wing broke loose too, but just at the glue joint. it appeared to be nose heavy, but i balanced it right at 20mm back from the stock CG. using a 1800mah 3 cell. turnigy 2836 motor with APC 6x4 prop. just didnt seem to have the get up and go it needed. do you all use full throttle for launch? whats the trick?
Old Mar 24, 2012, 05:56 PM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,345 Posts
Went to the field with a carload of planes including the Rad. Had purchased some APC 5.5's but when I put one one on, it was the wrong type of prop. Had the numbers facing forward I reversed it and same thing. Wrong direction of air flow. So, it's not a pusher prop. Strange.

Will give it another go tomorrow. I have some MAS 6x4 thin e's and they work great in the F-22.
dahawk47 is online now Find More Posts by dahawk47
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:28 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahawk47 View Post
Went to the field with a carload of planes including the Rad. Had purchased some APC 5.5's but when I put one one on, it was the wrong type of prop. Had the numbers facing forward I reversed it and same thing. Wrong direction of air flow. So, it's not a pusher prop. Strange.

Will give it another go tomorrow. I have some MAS 6x4 thin e's and they work great in the F-22.
That's why I like my hatch to be taped on not glued in place -- I can run whatever prop is handy, by just changing the motor wires.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:32 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,730 Posts
Finally did one too many tries at stalling, followed by 'Spiral of Death", so it was time to use my crash kit -- newly restored in foreground, old beater in back.

I did discover that while there is simply no way to recover a true 'death spiral' on these, the best way to mitigate it/land flat, is to turn power off, give full up elevator, and if there is still time after that, crank in opposite aileron while holding in the full up elevator. I was able to turn a tight , axial, screaming diving death spiral, into a slowish flat spin at impact/touchdown by doing that.

So now that I'm on on the new body, obviously, I am just going to avoid stalls going forward . Seems most stalls you do get away with and can recover, but every now and then the spin develops and that's all she wrote.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:37 PM
Standing Athwart History
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2011
603 Posts
Quote:
So now that I'm on on the new body, obviously, I am just going to avoid stalls going forward . Seems most stalls you do get away with and can recover, but every now and then the spin develops and that's all she wrote.
Think it might be worth installing a 9g servo and cutting the vertical tabs for rudders?
roo_ster is offline Find More Posts by roo_ster
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:50 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roo_ster View Post
Think it might be worth installing a 9g servo and cutting the vertical tabs for rudders?

Hmmm.... since I'm back to the stock power configuration, probably not, since I do like just loping around the field at 1/2 or 1/3 throttle mostly....

But if I were ever to 'hot one up' with 4S, and want to get jiggy with the radical moves, I do think having those rudder surfaces alive might be a savior... could even do what the big boys do with Scimitar or other wings, and turn 'em into air brakes...
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:17 AM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,345 Posts
Quote:
That's why I like my hatch to be taped on not glued in place -- I can run whatever prop is handy, by just changing the motor wires.
Track,

The motor is turning in the correct direction. Mount the prop with numbers forward like on all my other pushers and voila, opposite airflow. Flip the prop over and same thing.
dahawk47 is online now Find More Posts by dahawk47
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:34 AM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,177 Posts
so no advice for me guys? I did a 2nd attempt yesterday evening and gave it full throttle this time and it banked left on me real hard on launch and started going nose down again, but I was able to recover this time and got it in the air. I could tell right away it was still nose heavy, and this time i was using a 1300mah 40c battery, 3 cell, and half the battery is pushed back into the main body, so I dont know how its still nose heavy. I balanced it again, and it appears to me to be around 25mm back from the stock cg, so it should not be nose heavy. I dont get it. I gave about 5 clicks of trim and it was still nose heavy acting. I flew about 2 minutes and the battery hit LVC and I was not in a good spot of landing and trying to get it to glide back at 20% throttle was impossible! it was totally out of control and would not glide at all. I hit a tree right at the top and it hit about 10 branches on the way down to do the ground. lucky it was an open tree that did not hang onto it, so it did make it to the ground. I thought for sure it was a gonner, but much to my surprise, I got to it and the only thing broke was the one wing tip end was broke off, (the missile looking thing) and one servo cover came off. thats it! I couldnt believe it. so it already glued back and ready to go. But I dont understand why its so nose heavy and I am sure that is why it went out of control once i hit LVC. I have a 80A ESC even in the back end plus that heavier turnigy motor.