SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 09, 2012, 08:41 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdog67 View Post
Did you look on hk website. I had to log in, and enter the order number to get my info
yes, that is how I am tracking it.
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2012, 07:44 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
my tracking finally shows something new. Says it arrived yesterday stateside and is being held in customs. it shipped on 3/1 and just now is in the states. geez. i sure hope i get it this week.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 05:41 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,190 Posts
I have already beat mine up quite a bit, i.e. gone through both props and then had to go to an APC prop, which since it's harder plastic, then bent the motor shaft over the course of many landings, some being rougher than others, and I know that shaft can't be re-straightened an unlimited amount of times....

So, is anyone running a prop saver or flexible prop or using other methods to try to protect the prop/shaft/motor when landing?

I did not see a direct replacement prop or motor for the Radjet 800 on the HK site, though they do list a spare prop for it's new little Park Flyer brother.

Since things take a long time to arrive from China, and it was only about $32 in order to get wings, motor, 2 props, replacement canopy, etc, (compared to $20 alone just for the motor I needed with about the same KV and physical dimensions), I ordered a spare Radjet ARF yesterday to have spares/replacement pieces, along with also ordering the Vampire EDF.

Oh, and since I had to open the turtle deck to get to the inside for various reasons --
*move the ESC,
* hog out some foam for rearward battery movement to get CG right,
* guide the CF rods I added going through the fuse and into the wings for support,
* access the motor to loctite the fasteners when screws vibrated loose, etc,
* rewire the ESC to run the motor backwards, because my APC prop is a pusher,

I have now opened up every piece of foam on top, starting from the back at the motor cover, up to the canopy. So last time I had the body opened up and the various 'hatch' pieces laying loose, I went ahead and just epoxied them end-to-end, so that now when I need access, I just cut my two strips of tape down the side of the decal, the entire back opens up for me, exposing everything, then it is just two strips of tape to seal it all back up when I'm done. Easy, light (compared to multiple hatches, with separate magnets or fasteners), quick and convenient.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Last edited by tracknoob; Mar 12, 2012 at 05:59 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 06:06 AM
Albufeira - Portugal
Joined Mar 2010
49 Posts
I've seen various videos of the Radjet 800 getting into a "death spiral". What should we do to recover from that? Full throttle so the ailerons have influence again?
BrunoD is offline Find More Posts by BrunoD
Old Mar 12, 2012, 06:51 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoD View Post
I've seen various videos of the Radjet 800 getting into a "death spiral". What should we do to recover from that? Full throttle so the ailerons have influence again?
I had it happen to me (video earlier in thread).

To induce it, I merely went vertical on purpose, chopped the throttle on purpose to initiate a hammerhead, then when it nosed over and headed downward, it started a spiral roll, with increasing rate, regardless of throttle setting or aileron inputs (at least for the amount of time I had to wiggle the sticks prior to impact). The plane was well-trimmed physically, in that neutral stick gave level flight with no roll, yaw, or pitch at about half throttle.

Later, I asked the guys at the field:

* Why does this happen?
* How do I recover?

I was pretty surprised that these very knowledgeable guys collectively were unfamiliar with the phenomenon on this plane. They provided the general points.

* It does not seem to be endemic to the 'type' -- i.e., Multiplex Funjets (a very similar configuration aircraft) at the field have apparently done hammerheads and recoveries without issue (although I have yet to personally see one do it during the flights I've observed)

* Recovery suggestions included what you probably would expect -- lots of opposite aileron, adding throttle to 'power' out of it, (but also those who suggested leaving power off and adding elevator???due to elevon config????) and of course, leaving more altitude, and just not doing the manuever.

I noticed that these planes fly very well with a relatively little range of control authority set up in it out of the box, so in order to keep it stable and not look like a crazy over-correcting noob, I of course had left my control throws pretty mild.

The instruction booklet does not (if I recall) provide recommended throws, or tips on possible use of small amounts of reflex and/or differential, either.

The only idea I could come up with on my own, was to do what I did -- moved the linkage at the control horns inwards one hole in order to give some additional throw. This did not require me to add expo, or otherwise change my flying style. I'm hoping if I ever get into a similar spin again, that the additional throw will let me recover. Even though I have done some loops since then that were slow at the top, I have not purposely done another hammerhead stall.

tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Mar 12, 2012, 07:12 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
did anyone's radjet show up UPS when you picked the slow shipping? I had something attempt to be delivered today UPS but the only thing I am expecting is my radjet, but stuff from HK has always come USPS before....
Old Mar 13, 2012, 05:49 PM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,689 Posts
Perhaps this question has been answered already but which 4S lipo would fit in the stock setup? Was thinking of a turnigy 1300 mah 4S 30C or a nano tech 1600mah 4S 25C. What will the stock esc handle ? I've changed props to the stiffer APC 5.5 for marginally better performance.

Not ready for the major power mods yet. Want to burn out what I have first.
-Hawk
dahawk47 is online now Find More Posts by dahawk47
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:02 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
If you read just the last five pages your questions will be answered
Old Mar 14, 2012, 05:34 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1 Posts
Hi all, great thread,

Now the big questions,

Funjet ultra, Radjet or Funjet?

Seems like just an esc and prop upgrade to the radjet is required for 'moderate' action what do you think?

Do you also think the carbon fiber rods in the wings are good insurance?

Will the 3c 1300 lipo do the trick?

Thanks for your replies in advance
The Butler is offline Find More Posts by The Butler
Old Mar 14, 2012, 08:32 AM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
A guy I fly with has about every pusher plane out there, including the there and he still prefers his funjet. The first one. But the radjet is the only one he hasn't had. The ultra is great if your just about going super fast, but other then that its not that great.

The 1300mah battery will do fine if you just want moderate performance on the stock motor
Old Mar 14, 2012, 09:07 AM
Joined Mar 2011
100 Posts
For around 100 bucks you can get the rad jet up and over the 100 mph mark, it also flys great once u get the cg right. If you do crash it, the replacement airframe is what 50 bucks or so to the door. For comparison I've only seen the funjet fly, and it looks like a blast as well. For money saving reasons I stuck with the radjet.
Airdog67 is offline Find More Posts by Airdog67
Old Mar 14, 2012, 02:41 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Still no radjet today. Will be four weeks tomorrow. Tracking shows its here in the us and has left the destination sorting facility. Which was two days ago, so hopefully tomorrow!!!
Old Mar 14, 2012, 07:17 PM
Flying High Again!
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Sep 2005
199 Posts
For Sale:

Hobbyking Radjet 800 EPO 800mm (PNF)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1611876
Triptykon is offline Find More Posts by Triptykon
Old Mar 14, 2012, 09:17 PM
Joined Mar 2011
100 Posts
Well after 5 1/2 weeks the post man left me a delivery slip. " signature needed" . At least it's almost here, will have the wife pick it up tomorrow.
Airdog67 is offline Find More Posts by Airdog67
Old Mar 14, 2012, 09:40 PM
sailplane nut
Herminie, PA 15637
Joined Apr 2007
207 Posts
Hello from RCbobcat55@yahoo.com I just ordered the Mini RadJet without the radio and can't wait to get my paws on it. It is really cool looking and I think it may be a knockoff of the FunJet. I have a couple of really hot brushless micro outrunners to try on it. My last project like this was a Projeti which I pushed a bit too hard and blew both wings off at over 100MPH-fun but expensive. I think this one will be really neat for buzzing around behind my house. We will see. has anyone else purchased and/or flown one of the minis yet? I will keep you posted Thanks Bob M. I think the bigger RadJet wiill be really neat when overpowered- my funjet will do 100 or more without any problems.
rcbobcat55 is offline Find More Posts by rcbobcat55