HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2012, 10:00 AM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,355 Posts
Rattlesnake -

Awesome accomplishment! Nice mod package and great flying skills. Going to get some more flight minutes under my belt with the stock version and a stiffer 5.5 x 4.5 APC versus the POS prop they give you. Then, I might give your mod a go. Wondering if a 1300mah 4s would fry the stock ESC.

I'm finding that the faster I go, and the stock Radjet is as fast I've gone, I am wanting for more.

Congrats !

Hawk
dahawk47 is online now Find More Posts by dahawk47
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2012, 10:10 AM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,355 Posts
Tracknoob-

Nice vids. I subscribed. A lot of courage taking her up in that breeze. Great piloting skills !
She did not look twitchy at all. Sorry about the wing detach. Nice, clean break tough.

-Hawk
dahawk47 is online now Find More Posts by dahawk47
Old Mar 04, 2012, 10:16 AM
Park Flyer
Rochester MN
Joined Dec 2007
638 Posts
A good foam CA would have melted the wing/fuse together (like e-flite). Once dried I'd come back with CA and run all the way around the seam and then hit it with kicker. I had two mishap with one of them, striking a marker stake on landing just catching the wing tip. You can see the picture the seam held. A second mishap rip the wing tip off but both the repair and seam held firm. The old Twister has seen better days but it's still flying.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...z-pack-EFLA208

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post

Since the thread said that CA with kicker works fine on this foam, I used CA to glue the wings on, but I should have used 30 minute epoxy -- notice the only bonded areas were the little tabs, and that is where the wing just broke off due to aero forces. I also should have used carbon reinforcing, and I will use some when I glue it back together.

divemasterphil is offline Find More Posts by divemasterphil
Old Mar 04, 2012, 11:15 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,750 Posts
Great comments and tips guys!

I decided to install two carbon spars, one fore and one aft, straight through the fuse from wing to wing, in order to both strengthen and align the wings.

I went ahead and opened up the turtle hatch, since the ESC needed to move back a bit to allow the forward CF rod to clear, and with it moved back should also make it a bit easier to get the ideal CG. I also will see about the side-to-side CG -- would like to balance it by moving internal stuff so no external penny taped to the wing is needed any longer.

So, with any luck at all, after this repair she will be stronger, truer and better than ever!
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Mar 04, 2012, 12:14 PM
Joined Feb 2012
22 Posts
It's really only 400gr this plane? with the STOCK Lipo, ESC and motor? Somebody has it can weigh ready to fly? Thanks a lot
befanello is online now Find More Posts by befanello
Old Mar 04, 2012, 11:54 PM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
is the battery in this picture a 3 cell or 4 cell? what c rating is it?
Sorry nickelbn1, i haven't been reading this thread lately. It used to be a quiet thread, now that the RJ is available from the US warehouse the threads gone nuts.

The pack in that shot is a 3S 1800 30C. The esc is a 55A D'lux and the 2836 with a 5x5 prop was pulling around 40A's from memory.
nogas is offline Find More Posts by nogas
Old Mar 05, 2012, 05:51 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,750 Posts
DEATH SPIRAL ON FILM!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aLON...1&feature=plcp

Back in one piece now!

Old Mar 05, 2012, 07:39 AM
Home of A-10 - Farmingdale NY
United States, NH, Londonderry
Joined Dec 2006
879 Posts
Quote:
DEATH SPIRAL ON FILM!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aLON...1&feature=plcp

Back in one piece now!

I assume you tried to counter the rotation on the way down with what should have been a reverse in the direction of the spiral...under full power. That should have at the very least, stopped the clockwise rotation your RadJet seemed to have coming down.

If it had little or no effect, then I think the problem might be more significant.

-mike-
boiko is online now Find More Posts by boiko
Last edited by boiko; Mar 05, 2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 07:42 AM
Joined Jul 2007
724 Posts
Everyone, the radjet is FASTER with an APC 5.5x4.5 when running the
turnigy 2836 2350 on 4s.

everyone should give that prop a try.
The_RattleSnake is offline Find More Posts by The_RattleSnake
Old Mar 05, 2012, 07:50 AM
Joined Jul 2007
724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahawk47 View Post
Rattlesnake -

Awesome accomplishment! Nice mod package and great flying skills. Going to get some more flight minutes under my belt with the stock version and a stiffer 5.5 x 4.5 APC versus the POS prop they give you. Then, I might give your mod a go. Wondering if a 1300mah 4s would fry the stock ESC.

I'm finding that the faster I go, and the stock Radjet is as fast I've gone, I am wanting for more.

Congrats !

Hawk
Thanks! get a Turnigy 60 amp (I prefer the Sentry) that way when NOT if
you upgrade the motor it will be all good .
The APC 5.5x4.5 is the way to go.
Its easyer to fly at those speeds than it is to watch at those speeds.

I love this plane!

( and my T28 FunFighter :P )
The_RattleSnake is offline Find More Posts by The_RattleSnake
Old Mar 05, 2012, 07:55 AM
Joined Dec 2006
879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_RattleSnake View Post
turnigy 2836 2350 on 4s.

Sounds good...What are you seeing for Watts and Amps with that combo..?

Was that the prop you used for the 128 MPH run?

Thanks,
-mike-
Old Mar 05, 2012, 09:47 AM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_RattleSnake View Post
turnigy 2836 2350 on 4s.

Have You compared it to a 6x4?
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Mar 05, 2012, 11:52 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiko View Post
I assume you tried to counter the rotation on the way down with what should have been a reverse in the direction of the spiral...under full power.

If it had little or no effect, then I think the problem might be more significant.

-mike-
I did.

However, the time it was under that condition (full power, opposite aileron) was not long, and I had elevon throws a bit milder than I have on most of my other planes.

I think I will increase the throws a bit, then use expo or dual rates if needed to tame it down in regular flight.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 03:22 PM
Joined Dec 2006
879 Posts
Quote:
I did.

However, the time it was under that condition (full power, opposite aileron) was not long, and I had elevon throws a bit milder than I have on most of my other planes.

I think I will increase the throws a bit, then use expo or dual rates if needed to tame it down in regular flight.
You know I was just thinking, this might be the perfect plane to place a gyro or some type of flight stabilization device on.

Just a thought..

-mike-
Old Mar 06, 2012, 12:22 AM
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahawk47 View Post

Wondering if a 1300mah 4s would fry the stock ESC.

Hawk
Not sure about the stock ESC - my 30A HK ESC and the motor have no problem with 4S though. You should test it on the bench - run it up for a few minutes monitoring temperature and if it starts to overheat, well, I guess it won't cope.

Just heading out to chuck the Rad in the air. I tore off an elevon on the weekend in the gusty conditions and have just patched it up.
graeme_robinson is offline Find More Posts by graeme_robinson