Old Feb 10, 2012, 06:35 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roo_ster;20704979
I have the PNP model, mostly assembled. [B
What are the best ways to cut in intake & exhaust air vents without butchering the model?[/B]
If you really want to do it...Just use a very sharp #11 exacto blade with a sawing motion. Easy as can be
vettster is online now Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Im selling my 220mph jet
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2012, 02:05 AM
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
109 Posts
Thanks everyone for posting their experiences to this thread - its really helped me setup the Radjet. Had this kit for many weeks but only got around to beginning assembly this week - yesterday I put it all together and started digging around here for setup tips. I was initially confused about COG requirements, going forward of the recommended point rather than back, hence you'll see in the video I have a bit of trouble with the nose heavyness - partially corrected with some battery movement and increase in reflex.

I'm very impressed with the performance of the basic ARF kit. I tried the motor out on a number of different batteries with my watt meter. It seems this motor will run quite ok on 4S - had it pulling over 200W on an 1800mah4S - that's too heavy for the airframe I think (and completely blocks the airflow) but I will get some smaller 4S as the next step up for sure.

It flies great with the standard motor & 6x4 - I'm not going to rush into powertrian upgrades just yet as I have several faster jets for the high speed stuff - this thing just tools nicely around the park in very straight flying predictable fashion - I like it a lot! I'm flying with 100% elevator and about 75% aileron throws with 50% expo on both.

In standard trim its great for park flying and similar to the HK Parkjet in terms of speed, though I rate it as a bit easier to trim and fly than the Parkjet. I'm using a HK Blue 30A ESC, so no need to change when I step up to 4S. Now to look around for a suitable battery.

Anyway, here's some footage of the maiden flights

enjoy.
graeme_robinson is offline Find More Posts by graeme_robinson
Old Feb 12, 2012, 06:55 AM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,033 Posts
Good Stuff! Im glad it all worked out for you. Though Im not sure how you got the CG mixed up It has been mentioned at least 30 times from the beggining of this thread that it needs to be moved rearward, not forward. There was a review video posted where the pilot accidentily mentioned he had to move it forward... where as he really ment to say move it Rearward.

You shouldnt need any reflex at all. If your still using it, its because your still nose heavy. The correct CG is 400mm from the nose.

Happy Flying
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2012, 02:20 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
has anyone used magnets to hold down the canopy over the motor? like one magnet in each corner? so the motor can be gotten to easy? think that would work?
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Feb 12, 2012, 07:36 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,033 Posts
Thats how I do it
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:17 PM
Joined Jan 2011
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettster View Post
Good Stuff! Im glad it all worked out for you. Though Im not sure how you got the CG mixed up It has been mentioned at least 30 times from the beggining of this thread that it needs to be moved rearward, not forward.
just a brain fart on my part I think.

Quote:
You shouldnt need any reflex at all. If your still using it, its because your still nose heavy. The correct CG is 400mm from the nose.

Happy Flying
A little reflex makes for softer landings and slower flying - so I think I'll program in an airbrake so I can turn it on and off. Very happy with how this little bird is flying - its a lot of fun. Here's some video of me messing about with it this morning.

I think my 4S 1300mah batts have arrived at the post office. Can't wait to try them.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 01:26 PM
Home of A-10 - Farmingdale NY
United States, NH, Londonderry
Joined Dec 2006
919 Posts
So after reading through many of the entries here I have a few questions....

I plan to run 4S on the stock motor. replacing the ESC (w/HK Mystery 30A ESC)...

- Is an APC 6x4 prop the way to go..is anyone running it on the 4S/stock motor configuration? Is there a better prop?

- What size 4S battery do most of you guy's run....1800/2200/or...some other size?

- About what MPH are you guy's seeing with the 4S/stock motor config..?

Thanks,
-mike-
boiko is offline Find More Posts by boiko
Old Feb 15, 2012, 04:14 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,033 Posts
Im running the stock motor with a 30a esc and 4s 2200 and the stock prop. I think 5x5 would be best for speed. Only drawing 17a. The plane is doing about 80-90mph. Youll have to hog out some foam to fit the 2200 batt, but youll have much longer flight times.

My video is on page 3
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2012, 04:42 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
I just ordered my first radjet! I got the kit form. I ordered the turnigy 2836-2350kv as well, with a 1800mah 40C 3 cell, and I already have a 2200mah 30C 4 cell I plan I trying one day as well. I have a 80A Esc I am going to put in it and will get some APC 6x4 props and maybe even try a 7x5 prop on a 3 cell battery. got some hxt 9g servos to put in it. will take 3 weeks to get here though.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 06:04 PM
Joined Dec 2006
919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
I just ordered my first radjet! I got the kit form. I ordered the turnigy 2836-2350kv as well, with a 1800mah 40C 3 cell, and I already have a 2200mah 30C 4 cell I plan I trying one day as well. I have a 80A Esc I am going to put in it and will get some APC 6x4 props and maybe even try a 7x5 prop on a 3 cell battery. got some hxt 9g servos to put in it. will take 3 weeks to get here though.
I wonder how many amps that configuration (Turnigy 2836-2350kv, 1800/4S and APC 6x4) will eventually draw..

-mike-
Old Feb 15, 2012, 06:10 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiko View Post
I wonder how many amps that configuration (Turnigy 2836-2350kv, 1800/4S and APC 6x4) will eventually draw..

-mike-
I just bought a watt/amp meter too. I will let you all know once i find out.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 06:29 PM
Joined Jan 2011
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by graeme_robinson View Post

A little reflex makes for softer landings and slower flying - so I think I'll program in an airbrake so I can turn it on and off. Very happy with how this little bird is flying - its a lot of fun. Here's some video of me messing about with it this morning.

I think my 4S 1300mah batts have arrived at the post office. Can't wait to try them.
flew the 4S this morning - they are good though not massively faster than 3S - definitely more power on tap to pull up. Anway, experimenting with my flaperons after the second battery died I got into trouble & did a nose landing. Not pretty - however I think I can do my gyprock tape and epoxy thing to rebuild the front end, though the skids crumpled up and I had to cut it off halfway up the fuse. The rest of the body seems fine. I have some video and will post if I can swallow my pride enough to edit & post.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:10 PM
Joined Dec 2006
919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
I just bought a watt/amp meter too. I will let you all know once i find out.
Great...thanks..!

-mike-
Old Feb 15, 2012, 09:16 PM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2009
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by graeme_robinson View Post

I give, what is reflex? I'll take a swag at it: Expo.
DWWPilot is offline Find More Posts by DWWPilot
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:48 PM
Joined Jan 2011
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWWPilot View Post
I give, what is reflex? I'll take a swag at it: Expo.
No, its just an amount of up elevator at mid stick that you set either with trim or preferably by adjusting the control rod length. Some planes (wings especially) require some reflex to fly level with no stick input - delta wings have something like this nose heavy tendency as well.