HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2012, 05:41 PM
New Brunswick
Joined Feb 2006
1,184 Posts
I did try my 2200kv 2208 motor with a 6x4 prop, it was just abv 400watts and 30amp. The trust was crazy, at 1/2 throttle, I could not the plane by the grip! But it was not really faster, I went back to my old prop!
choopi is offline Find More Posts by choopi
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2012, 05:55 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,101 Posts
Did I say use a 6x4... I meant use a 5x5. Try that one. Hurry up I waiting for the results
vettster is offline Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DTRYER ripped me off!!!
Old Jan 23, 2012, 06:40 PM
New Brunswick
Joined Feb 2006
1,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettster View Post
Did I say use a 6x4... I meant use a 5x5. Try that one. Hurry up I waiting for the results
there is a prop, i would to try a 4.75x5.5 but I broke it. But ya, I will try a 5x5 eventually!
choopi is offline Find More Posts by choopi
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:05 PM
Standing Athwart History
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2011
610 Posts
Got one of these puppies on the way.

I hope it does not all end in tears.
roo_ster is offline Find More Posts by roo_ster
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:00 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roo_ster View Post

No reason it should. Take the time to read thru the previous pages. Lots of good stuff in there to help you
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:49 AM
Standing Athwart History
Joined Mar 2011
610 Posts
Quote:
No reason it should. Take the time to read thru the previous pages. Lots of good stuff in there to help you
Yep, I read through it as it built and did another read, while taking notes of the best (IMO) nuggets in a text file. (I can post them, if anyone is interested.)

I will start of flying it stock, with 1000mah lipos (since that is what I have). Hopefully, I'll be able to get it glide-y and float-y enough for me to get a handle on the aircraft. I have been flying an uploaded Funjet in RealFlight 5.5 to train up, but I never know who close the uploaded models are to the real deal.

Anyone know the mass of the stock motor? When I start looking for an upgrade, I want to know what is reasonable, weight-wise.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 01:50 PM
Joined Mar 2011
100 Posts
Quote:

Well if it does your only out 60 bucks or so
Airdog67 is offline Find More Posts by Airdog67
Old Jan 24, 2012, 04:12 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,101 Posts
If you can fly it on the sim with some wind, and not crash at all for 20 flights straight..then you can fly the real thing. dont forget to move the CG back at least 15mm.

How much RC experince do you have.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2012, 04:39 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
What size esc do I need to run this on a 1000mah 4 cell, 30c
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:19 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,101 Posts
Im using a 30amp on the stock motor. Though Im only drawing 17amps with a 4s 2200 40c
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2012, 09:14 PM
Standing Athwart History
Joined Mar 2011
610 Posts
Quote:
If you can fly it on the sim with some wind, and not crash at all for 20 flights straight..then you can fly the real thing. dont forget to move the CG back at least 15mm.

How much RC experince do you have.
Roger that.

16 months or so in the hobby.

RF5.5 sim (most difficult settings and also try out models in 0/5/10/15/20mph winds)
Hobbyzone UM Champ 3ch
Parkzone UM T-28 4ch (Fun, fun, fun when the wind dies down and some peppy lipos)
TechOne Funfly EPP Trainer 3ch (Build log: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1546780 )

I also have a Superfly on the way, but that is a kit to build.

Addendum:

Okay, took my time exploring the flight envelope of the Funjet/Radjet in RF5.5.
1. If I fly with constant WOT, I will eventually lose orientation as let it get too far away, and I auger it in [usually after a few passes (5 or 6)].
2. Higher wind will hurry that process: 15mph after the 3-4 passes, 20mph wind after the 2nd or 3rd pass.
3. If I fly around at something less than half throttle, run racetracks, toss in the occasional aerobatic and occasional WOT, it is no big whoop. I can fly it indefinitely, no crashes. 5-10mph winds make it easier to land, frankly.
4. It will cruise at something less than 40mph, closer to 30mph in calm and closer to 35mph in 5-10mph wind. The smoother I fly, the slower I can cruise at as I don't lose altitude on turns,etc.
5. Stalls are mostly nose-down affairs, but pretty dramatic. It needs some altitude to recover. It really doesn't like stalling after going vertical and chopping the throttle.
6. Comes in hot for landings, which is why the 5-10mph winds come in handy. Best to come in hot and skid than stall too high, too fast, though.

All in all, I would say it likes more speed than what I'm used to and doesn't slow down as gracefully, but its habits are predictable, if less forgiving. It will get up and go fast enough that it gets so small, so fast, that orientation can be a problem for a less-experienced pilot.
Last edited by roo_ster; Jan 25, 2012 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Addendum
Old Jan 26, 2012, 04:30 PM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,077 Posts
whoops i lost my manual. any have a copy?

basically all I need to know is where is the CG and what do I set the throws to?
captaingeek is offline Find More Posts by captaingeek
Old Jan 26, 2012, 04:58 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,101 Posts
Quote:
Roger that.

16 months or so in the hobby.

RF5.5 sim (most difficult settings and also try out models in 0/5/10/15/20mph winds)
Hobbyzone UM Champ 3ch
Parkzone UM T-28 4ch (Fun, fun, fun when the wind dies down and some peppy lipos)
TechOne Funfly EPP Trainer 3ch (Build log: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1546780 )

I also have a Superfly on the way, but that is a kit to build.

Addendum:

Okay, took my time exploring the flight envelope of the Funjet/Radjet in RF5.5.
1. If I fly with constant WOT, I will eventually lose orientation as let it get too far away, and I auger it in [usually after a few passes (5 or 6)].
2. Higher wind will hurry that process: 15mph after the 3-4 passes, 20mph wind after the 2nd or 3rd pass.
3. If I fly around at something less than half throttle, run racetracks, toss in the occasional aerobatic and occasional WOT, it is no big whoop. I can fly it indefinitely, no crashes. 5-10mph winds make it easier to land, frankly.
4. It will cruise at something less than 40mph, closer to 30mph in calm and closer to 35mph in 5-10mph wind. The smoother I fly, the slower I can cruise at as I don't lose altitude on turns,etc.
5. Stalls are mostly nose-down affairs, but pretty dramatic. It needs some altitude to recover. It really doesn't like stalling after going vertical and chopping the throttle.
6. Comes in hot for landings, which is why the 5-10mph winds come in handy. Best to come in hot and skid than stall too high, too fast, though.

All in all, I would say it likes more speed than what I'm used to and doesn't slow down as gracefully, but its habits are predictable, if less forgiving. It will get up and go fast enough that it gets so small, so fast, that orientation can be a problem for a less-experienced pilot.
I would say that the sim is pretty darn accurate
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2012, 03:30 PM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,077 Posts
Quote:
I would say that the sim is pretty darn accurate
Is the CG where the indentation is in the bottem of the fuse?
captaingeek is offline Find More Posts by captaingeek
Old Jan 27, 2012, 04:43 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaingeek View Post
Is the CG where the indentation is in the bottem of the fuse?
The stock CG is 383mm from the nose down the center line of the fuse. You need to add 15mm so it will be 398mm from the nose. Round it off to 400mm and you will be fine

My Turangy motor showed up today
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by vettster; Jan 27, 2012 at 04:48 PM.