Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 21, 2011, 09:15 PM
I miss my planes...
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Dec 2006
509 Posts
Build Log
Ivan Pettigrew Chipmunk - An interrupted build

To start, I will say that this thread will be far from a complete log of my build. I doubt it's necessary since there are already complete threads for building this plane authored by much better builders than I.

I started putting this Chipmunk together in June. I knew then it would be interrupted so I focused on getting as much done as possible prior to the known situations without pausing to take pictures and posting. I managed to get much of the fuselage put together before the first interruption - moving. Glad I arranged for a place to put the fragile airframe during that period as due to a bank error we were homeless for an extended weekend.

Before I could settle into the new place, and renew construction, the second major event. My daughter was born July 14, and it's been a heck of a ride since. Sleeping schedules are just starting to become regular enough to function. In a few stray minutes here and there I've managed to cut and/or glue a piece on here or there. Due to the nature of this start/stop building I've gotten ahead of myself somewhat on the fuselage and yet not quite where I should be. I started sheeting the back end, hoping it would prevent some warping and twisting, but I've yet to figure out the servo locations and run the leads for the rudder and elevator. To do that, I need to build the elevator and rudder!

While I try to organize my shop a bit I'm going to post a few pictures for reference here so I don't lose them. One thing I'd like to do differently from the previous Ivan Chipmunks is to do a Canadian bubble canopy. I figure I can at least try, and failing that fall back on the greenhouse style if that flops. I am hoping to get this build completed by spring, and it should be possible, but I've missed building deadlines before with less excuses than a screaming baby. Pictures maybe a bit sporadic, but I will be able to post fairly frequently... I think.
Lag_Janson is offline Find More Posts by Lag_Janson
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2011, 10:04 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,249 Posts
Very nice Lag! I also have a set of those plans and was planning on doing the exact same thing you are doing in regards to the canopy. I look forward to following your progress.
vonJaerschky is offline Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Oct 21, 2011, 11:06 PM
Student of Ivan
El Paso, Illinois
Joined Apr 2006
725 Posts
Lag,

Sounds like you have your hands full with the new baby and home. I'm sure you'll find out, if you haven't already, that an Ivan build is good therapy to help one to decompress from life's necessary priorities.

It's always good to see another Ivan build even if it's been done before. Pics are nice to see but then again, don't let posting on RCG add anymore to your already full plate...

Welcome aboard!

John
mountainman2442 is offline Find More Posts by mountainman2442
Old Oct 22, 2011, 02:06 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,532 Posts
Welcome from this side of the pond as well, Lag. The bubble canopy looks so good, and there must be a stock item somewhere for a very similar 1/5th scale canopy. If not, Frank will carve a blank from Canadian maple, I'm sure

The models I have seen (LukeZ's, Ivan's original, Pentaxman's and TrevorH's) fly very well indeed and look good in the air and on the ground.

Good luck!
Sopwith Mike is offline Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
Old Oct 22, 2011, 02:59 AM
Hampshire, U.K.
Joined Jun 2008
1,850 Posts
The bubble canopy sounds like a nice touch. As others have said, I think you will find that an hour in the workshop can be a great sanity preserver when the world around you is all a blur.

If you take a picture of the Chippie every time you take one of your daughter, you should have a good log of your progress!
Trevorh is offline Find More Posts by Trevorh
Old Oct 22, 2011, 04:41 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,565 Posts
If you do a plug for the bubble canopy could we get it sent to Sparky for reproduction? Will be doing a laser cut set of parts for the chippie and would love to have the bubble version.

Charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Oct 22, 2011, 05:14 PM
I miss my planes...
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Dec 2006
509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman2442 View Post
Lag,

It's always good to see another Ivan build even if it's been done before. Pics are nice to see but then again, don't let posting on RCG add anymore to your already full plate...
Actually, it's easier to post than it is to build. The laptop is in the main room so it's easier to sit on rcgroups and be with the little one, than it is to go downstairs on my own. She doesn't really nap a heck of a lot... Good lungs though!
Old Oct 22, 2011, 05:17 PM
I miss my planes...
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Dec 2006
509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb View Post
If you do a plug for the bubble canopy could we get it sent to Sparky for reproduction? Will be doing a laser cut set of parts for the chippie and would love to have the bubble version.

Charlie
Charlie, I'm certainly going to make the attempt. I'm not exactly overflowing with confidence when it comes to the canopy though. If it works the plug is all yours.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 05:21 PM
I miss my planes...
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Dec 2006
509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorh View Post
If you take a picture of the Chippie every time you take one of your daughter, you should have a good log of your progress!
I'm bad. My wife is the photographer. My hands actually shake a bit much for pictures so they are always quite blurry. At least when I'm flying the shakes move from the fingers to the knees!

I'll try to swipe the camera from her tonight at some point, perhaps after she and the little one have gone off to bed.

Edit: An example of her photography skills... a Yak 3 I finished earlier this year
Last edited by Lag_Janson; Oct 22, 2011 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Added an example of her work
Old Oct 22, 2011, 06:17 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lag_Janson View Post
Charlie, I'm certainly going to make the attempt. I'm not exactly overflowing with confidence when it comes to the canopy though. If it works the plug is all yours.
Thanks Lag
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Oct 23, 2011, 04:01 PM
I miss my planes...
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Dec 2006
509 Posts
Well, there it is. I'm done. What do you think?

Here's pretty much where I stand today. I've also got the tail and rudder posts cut and hinged so I might get a start on that soon. Had further interruption during a rare nap when another lightbulb burned out in the basement nearly throwing my building board into total darkness.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 02:41 AM
Hampshire, U.K.
Joined Jun 2008
1,850 Posts
Looking good Lag. I'll be interested to see your take on that trailing edge fairing.
Trevorh is offline Find More Posts by Trevorh
Old Oct 24, 2011, 09:21 AM
Bradford West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2010
1,597 Posts
Wasn't the "Krier" conversion a bubble canopy?

Regards Ian.
Circlip is offline Find More Posts by Circlip
Old Oct 24, 2011, 05:22 PM
I miss my planes...
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Dec 2006
509 Posts
Quote:
I'll be interested to see your take on that trailing edge fairing.

Quote:
Wasn't the "Krier" conversion a bubble canopy?
Ian, I confess I had to google it as I wasn't familiar with Krier. Yes, it does look like he did keep the bubble canopy. Not like other Super Chipmunk pictures I've seen with a smaller cockpit.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 06:30 PM
I miss my planes...
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Dec 2006
509 Posts
Gah, has it been that long really? I've managed very little further. Got some of the tail assembled, but haven't really done much else. Too much baby run around.

I've been doing some thinking about my two part wing while at work and did a quick sketch of my idea. Excuse the low quality, and light scan. Really, I did this sketch much too quickly. I've been thinking of ideas for a while and this was a moment of forethought. I'm going to add a pair of complete wing ribs. The front will be shaped to act as the center pegs (eliminating the dowel).

Here's a question for the Ivan builders. With all the emphasis on keeping things light, why are the ribs solid balsa without any lightening holes?

My wife is taking the little one down to Texas next week to see family. It's going to be awfully quiet here, aside from work, so I may dedicate a number of evenings to rapid building. I may jump right into the wing and see what I can accomplish there. The wing ribs are cut and waiting.