Old Oct 21, 2011, 08:58 PM
Did you say up or down?
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
467 Posts
Question
Battery Wire Gauge?

Hello,

I have just purchased some 3S and 4S Lipo's. Stupid me forgot to look at the wire gauge on the battery ends. They arrived with 12ga wire.

My question is all my ESC's have 14ga and 16 gauge wire, can I still hook up these Lipo's to my ESC's? I should be going from small to larger diameter wire if I read correctly. In this case I am stuck with these Lipo's with 12 ga wire. Can this be done?

Thanks

E.
RedRanger is offline Find More Posts by RedRanger
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2011, 09:21 PM
Frequent Flyer
Orleans, MA
Joined Feb 2007
2,061 Posts
You'll have no problem doing that. Wires of this size can conduct very large currents. If there are any losses in the narrower gauge ones, they will be negligible, especially in the short lengths required for RC hookups.

You can make a smooth physical transition from the narrower to wider gauges by stripping off about 1/4" of insulation from each wire end and then intermingling the strands before soldering and covering with shrink wrap.
whitecrest is offline Find More Posts by whitecrest
Old Oct 21, 2011, 09:31 PM
Did you say up or down?
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecrest View Post
You'll have no problem doing that. Wires of this size can conduct very large currents. If there are any losses in the narrower gauge ones, they will be negligible, especially in the short lengths required for RC hookups.

You can make a smooth physical transition from the narrower to wider gauges by stripping off about 1/4" of insulation from each wire end and then intermingling the strands before soldering and covering with shrink wrap.
So I am safe going from a large 12ga battery wire to a smaller 16ga ESC wire done through EC3 connectors?

Thanks for the reply and help whitecrest.

Regards,

E.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 10:04 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
This is one of thoughs cases where bigger is better.

Big wire out of a battery is always a good thing.
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter
Old Oct 21, 2011, 10:54 PM
Did you say up or down?
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWoodCrafter View Post
This is one of thoughs cases where bigger is better.

Big wire out of a battery is always a good thing.
Phew! Thought I had screwed myself. Gratefull for the information TheWoodCrafter.. Glad to know I did not waste my money on Lipo's I could not use

Another lesson learned for me

Regards,

E.