HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:28 PM
Mesa Falcon Fld, Arizona, United States
Joined Sep 2004
426 Posts
I ended up ordering mine from Free Time Hobbies from the link that was previously posted. I ordered it last night at about 10pm, and I got an email stating that it has shipped. I will give a final report once I get the box, but they seem to be a pretty good source. They also had a few of the 1/350 scale kits I was looking for that Tower did not have.

Adam
Aeroengineer1 is offline Find More Posts by Aeroengineer1
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:31 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,625 Posts
David's been in rubber up to his elbows today.
herrmill is offline Find More Posts by herrmill
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:01 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,625 Posts
Fitting Kit Production

Production of the fitting kit is well underway so don't expect to hear from David for a while with the backload of orders he has to fill.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:18 PM
Mesa Falcon Fld, Arizona, United States
Joined Sep 2004
426 Posts
I wanted to put forward my brief review of this kit. First off, I love it. I may be a bit boring, but I love the nuke boats, so I am happy to see a boat like this of this size. First the packaging was great. The parts did not have any scratches on them, nor was there anything broken. That is something considering the size of the boat. The boat has nice detail. The scribe lines are a bit heavy for my liking, but should be fine for those that lay on the paint. I thought that the use of photo etch to deal with draft issues was innovative to deal with the draft issues on the sea water intakes. One thing that I really like is the joint at the mid-plane. Particularly for those that are going to make this an RC kit, this will make for a nice joint. I have done dry fitting on most of the parts to find generally good fits.

There are a few small things, though that should be easy to fix. The first of these is that the stern pieces are, both top and bottom are a bit warped, they want to curve in a bit too much. A bit of heat and well placed formers will do the trick. The last thing is that the trailing edges of the control surfaces are a bit thick. This will need to be hand-worked. This is not particularly an issue with quality or design, it is just due to the need to ensure that the plastic would fill the molds well.

In summary, I would get another one. I hope that all are able to enjoy this kit, and I hope that Moebius Models makes more kits in this line.

Adam
Aeroengineer1 is offline Find More Posts by Aeroengineer1
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:35 PM
Philippines
Joined Jan 2005
894 Posts
redboat219 is online now Find More Posts by redboat219
Last edited by redboat219; Sep 30, 2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 02:26 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,625 Posts
Here's some more from David after slaving away Saturday on kit production.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:09 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,625 Posts
David's getting down to the home stretch. Here's more of the final product.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:10 PM
Joined Mar 2006
460 Posts
My local hobby shop called to tell me that my Skipjack is in. Anyone know when the add on kit will be done for RC that Merriman is tooling?
TugFan is offline Find More Posts by TugFan
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:31 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,625 Posts
I believe David is starting to ship out the first kits to those who ordered. These are the photos he sent yesterday of his metal work.

Best to contact David directly or simply place an order on the Sub Driver site.

After this, he starts on mast & detail kit next.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:50 AM
Joined Mar 2006
460 Posts
Just ordered the fittings kit. The boat itself has a few minor issues such as a little warpage on the rear hull. But this is an easy fix. Does anyone plan on a Z cut for the boat and would this upset the way the boat is braced?
Last edited by TugFan; Oct 03, 2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:08 PM
RC sub dude
Montreal, Quebec, CANADA
Joined Nov 2004
301 Posts
I'm a bit curious about the amount of warpage, can you post some pictures of your kit?
CaptainNemo12 is offline Find More Posts by CaptainNemo12
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:28 PM
California Desert... 7 miles from nearest town
Joined Jan 2010
376 Posts
Here is a photo of the hull I received.

You can see that there is about 3/16" to 1/4" spread between front half and back half of the hull. I did not measure to see if the front is spread out or the back is sprung in.

I am sure the cylinder saddles will hold the shape. Also when the front and back hulls are glued together, it will be fine.

In fact, I can match up the two halves and sit them on the rug and the rug friction will hold them aligned.
Cliff Hanger is offline Find More Posts by Cliff Hanger
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:52 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,625 Posts
More photos of the actual kit & its use in Moebius' Skipjack.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:02 PM
Joined Mar 2006
460 Posts
Exactly how much of the rear cone is cut off? Also, is it recommended to z cut the remainder of the boat? Anyone ?
Last edited by TugFan; Oct 04, 2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:40 AM
California Desert... 7 miles from nearest town
Joined Jan 2010
376 Posts
"Exactly how much of the rear cone is cut off?"
--------------
Actually, to me it doesn't look like the tail cone is cut off. (I see in image #60 the upper tail section has been cut off) Now I have questions about where that cut is. Looking at the hull I have that cut would make it almost impossible to reach in to the yokes. I was thinking of make a cut right at the front edge of the dive planes.

BUT, there may be a way to assemble the tail cone leaving it in two pieces for inside service later when required.

It looks like two inserts were made to put in the existing hull to hold the drive shaft bearings in place. It looks like there is a little material removes so the insert will lay against the hull.

Above in one of the parts post photos there was an image of the tail cone cut off but I would bet that was done to make it easier handle the part while reshaping the inside of the tail cone to make the mold for the bearings insert.
------------------
Added after looking closer at the photo above (#54) with the red handled cutters in it. You can see the plastic pieces that were remove from the left hand tail cone.
Cliff Hanger is offline Find More Posts by Cliff Hanger
Last edited by Cliff Hanger; Oct 04, 2012 at 12:56 AM.