HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:01 PM
Man from Atlantis
London
Joined Nov 2003
905 Posts
I believe that is next on the list. But if Skipjack sales don't materialize, then you can hardly expect Moebius to continue to take a punt on his kind of model.
Sub culture is offline Find More Posts by Sub culture
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:46 PM
BabyBootLegger
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
656 Posts
Tower Hobbies is selling the Skipjack for $89.00 with zero tax.
It should sell like hot cakes, at this price!
You will see many of these converted to RC at the ponds next year.
I would imagine that Tower hobbies may even sell a WTC kit in the future.
sunworksco is offline Find More Posts by sunworksco
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:39 PM
miniture aircraft pilot
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Oct 2007
1,333 Posts
well i just asked my hobby shop to order one for me. before all the submariners snatch them up.
rcshirt is offline Find More Posts by rcshirt
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:15 PM
BabyBootLegger
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
656 Posts
Most likely, since Moebius is located in Florida, Floridians will receive their subs first. So not to worry.
sunworksco is offline Find More Posts by sunworksco
Old Sep 19, 2012, 05:41 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,582 Posts
Nautilus is, indeed, on the list along with other nuke & earlier diesel boats & its not just limited to USN subjects.

As mentioned before, tell your buddies to buy 'em up so we can see more kits in the offering.
herrmill is online now Find More Posts by herrmill
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:08 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,582 Posts
Skipjack Fittings Kit Development

Here you go, folks!

David just released some of his recent work on the fittings kit to whet your appetite.

Enjoy!
Last edited by herrmill; Sep 20, 2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:04 PM
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Jan 2004
276 Posts
Very nice, indeed! I really like the super heavy duty control linkage for the rudder and stern planes. Beautiful work!
ThorDesign is offline Find More Posts by ThorDesign
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:04 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,582 Posts
Yes, David does beautiful work, doesn't he.

Here's the latest featuring work on the Skipjack fitting kit.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 01:34 PM
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Jan 2004
276 Posts
Any idea what the wall thickness is on the hull?
ThorDesign is offline Find More Posts by ThorDesign
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:34 PM
Mesa Falcon Fld, Arizona, United States
Joined Sep 2004
426 Posts
Matt,

From what I remember I think that it was in the range of ~.070. It was pretty stout kit.

Adam
Aeroengineer1 is offline Find More Posts by Aeroengineer1
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:35 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,582 Posts
I forgot to mention David plans to have the masters complete this weekend before starting on the mast kit. There will be 2 kits for the Skipjack that will cover needs for both RC & static modeler markets:

Quote:
The 'R/C conversion' fittings kit will be all the items needed to convert the kit to function as a practical r/c model submarine -- included in that fittings kit will be the foundations I showed last night to mount a torpedo weapon system if the customer desires.

I will develop a separate 'detailing' kit that will include refined masts, scopes and antennas, detailed door and deck hatches, main ballast vent flanges, cleats, mooring lines, figures, and other small parts to make a more presentable display piece.
More details on http://www.sub-driver.com.

Not sure what else is happening in aftermarket kits but am sure they'll be appearing once the kits get into a few hands.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:39 PM
California Desert... 7 miles from nearest town
Joined Jan 2010
367 Posts
Matt,
My order is in and I have a UPS delivery date of Sept 26.
This coming Wednesday.
So I will get you the numbers you're asking for.
Ralph --- SSBN 598
(Cliff Hanger)
-----
For a very long time I have been checking Tower Hobbies on this boat.
Twice a day. Yesterday morning still nothing then at 4PM the page turned to In Stock.

Picked up the phone and had the young man (Zak) check the shelves.
He said it was in stock on the shelf. I ordered right then. 10 minutes later I received confirmed order e-mail. 30 minutes later I got UPS notice of scheduled delivery.

Boat and UPS shipping was $99.98.
Cliff Hanger is offline Find More Posts by Cliff Hanger
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:46 PM
Joined Jan 2010
367 Posts
Now that I have this boat coming I do have a question.

Looking at the box art and searching images on the net, I can not find any photos of the real boats painted like the box art.

Can someone point me to photos with one of the Skipjack class boats painted like the box art.?

I find photo with the bottom red coming up about 3' above the waterline. Hull is black and deck centerline appears to be non skid black.

I have found a couple with the red stopping at the vertical center line but the paint looks to be a stopping point in the painting process as the line is not sharp but just spray gun finished. Also the scaffolding does not go high enough to continue the painting.

I find no photos of a real boat where the upper sonar cover is painted gray or white. Only the same as the hull to match the red and black line.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:27 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,744 Posts
Here's a picture of SCULPIN (SSN 590) just before launching. Looks like the antifouling red goes to the centerline, and two different shades of black above. Gray on the sonar dome.

SCULPIN again, with a gray sonar dome.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:06 PM
Joined Jan 2010
367 Posts
CG Bob, Would like to see your image. It'smissing.
---------------
Scamp SSN 588 at launching.

Scamp SSN 588 in water after launching.

This page shows the Sculpin at launch and the sonar dome is lighter in color.
In the port photos later after launch the dome appears to be the same color as the hull.
NavsSource USS Sculpin
----------
It looks like only the USS Sculpin had the gray sonar dome but only during launch and maybe a few months during sea trials.
----------
Now when looking for images I see a lot of deck models with the gray dome. That makes me think the model builders or the people who commissioned the models like the USS Sculpin as launched colors.
----------
This is not a problem. Just a research project. Painting is still a ways off at this point.

I have a Steven Neill USS George Washington 598 I painted in "as launched colors". The red comes all the way up to the water line with orange emergency buoys.

While I was serving on the GW it was dry docked. The red and black paint was split at the hull center. This was in 1970.

I also think that one or two of this class boat was painted light gray for Mediterranean operations.