HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2011, 07:01 PM
Joined Oct 2011
137 Posts
Discussion
Back into the hobby 10 years later and want to learn 3D!

I use to fly gas prop jets over 10 years ago. King Kobras and patriots, stuff like that. Well I'm back into the hobby and would love to learn 3D. I'm blown away at how much things have changed with electric! So I decided to give it a shot. I found a local guy who had a 300 SHP for sale. The 47 inch model from Hobby Shop. I bought it, along with a Turnigy 9x remote/reciever, 2 2200 mah 3 cell Thunder power batteries and a charger. The plane came with a Turnigy 3530-1100 motor and an unknown speed controller(wrapped in blue with a 50A sticker on it). I replaced the prop with an APC 11*6. I remember those being good back in the day.

I flew it for the first time today. I wasn't too impressed. It didn't have the power I wanted, and the batteries didn't last long. Maybe around 5 or 6 minutes each.

My questions are is this motor junk or am I not being realistic about electric?
If it's junk, what do I need to make this rock?
It came with HS-55 servos. Are these junk? My throws seem a little lame compared to the youtube videos i'm seeing. I can't remember how to increase my throws except use the outer most holes on the servo/and the other part on the control surface (can't remember what those are called). Should I scrap these servos for something else or get longer arms??? I noticed the elevator servo is limp until you turn on the reciever. I don't think that is right? My leading edge of the right aileron sticks up a bit more than it should inboard, though the trailing edge is flush with the wing trailing edge root. Seems link it's hinged a bit high, i'm trying to figure out how to fix this as I had to add a lot of rudder trim today, I'm thinking because of this. Any tricks here?

And one last question, I noticed that there are these winglets on some of the extras in the videos mounted vertical on the ends, are those add-on's? Cause mine doesn't have them. I like how they look, where can I get/make these?
jb_bak is offline Find More Posts by jb_bak
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2011, 07:10 PM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
I suggest equipping your SHP with the recommended equipment listed on the 3DHS website. You'll be much happier this way. For one, if you don't swap those HS55, you're bound for a crash if you really are flying 3D with that SHP.

Having said that, once you swap equipment, you'll find that the SHP makes an excellent 3D plane.
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Old Oct 21, 2011, 08:34 PM
Glens Falls, NY
Joined Apr 2010
1,296 Posts
The recommended equipment will make a big difference. The motor you have is a bit small.
A good motor is http://www.extremeflightrc.com/store...products_id=13 (Use a APC 13x6.5 electric prop). It's kind of expensive, but the Omega 103, which is $20 cheaper is out of stock on the 3DHS website.
Servos http://shop.tomsrc.com/product_info....oducts_id=1353
If your batteries are real old, that could be a problem also, but they are probobly ok. I think I got 6 1/2 minutes of flight time out of my SHP.

There have been 3 versions of the Extra 300 SHP, all with small revisions and new trim schemes. The 3rd version also had SFG's (Side Force Generators) which are the winglets you speak of. They aren't a must or anything, but you should be able to get them on the 3DHobbyShop website. They may not match your plane though.

p.s. Great to see an experienced pilot interested in 3D.
TG43 is offline Find More Posts by TG43
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2011, 09:57 PM
Joined Oct 2011
137 Posts
Thank you, I just ordered the motor you linked. I also went ahead and got the air boss elite 45 speed controller it suggested. I think I'll patronize one of my LHS's for the servos.
jb_bak is offline Find More Posts by jb_bak
Old Oct 22, 2011, 01:06 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,457 Posts
Welcome to electric flight. APC makes a very good product, just be sure and use the
E series of prop.

Depending on how you fly 5-7 minutes of flight is what to expect in a high performance, light weight 3D electric plane. You could fly longer but that would require heavier battery's, not good for 3D

Get a good WATT meter, it will let you know how much power you have what prop to use and can also give you information about how your battery's are holding up.

Spend some time in the battery forum to understand how to use and charge your battery's

Have fun

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C