HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2011, 01:32 PM
Joined Mar 2007
107 Posts
Discussion
FBL TRex 250 with new Spectrum AR7200BX receiver

Has anyone given any thought to using the new AR7200BX that comes with the Blade 450x in a Trex 250?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ID=SPMAR7200BX

I love my mcpx, but was thinking I want something with similar flight characteristics in a bigger package. Since e-Flite didn't come out with a MCPx 120 yet (or a 250 model for that matter), I figured I would build my own FBL 250 class heli. I love the stability of the TRex 250 as well, but I think I would love it even more in FBL form.

I know that the AR7200BX will replace my current Spektrum receiver, but will it replace the duties of my HH gyro as well? If so, I suspect the weight savings of the FBL head and removal of the gyro will be fairly significant.

Any thoughts on this idea?
StangGuy is offline Find More Posts by StangGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2011, 01:40 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,408 Posts
Is this just a rebranded Beastx?
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Old Oct 21, 2011, 01:51 PM
Joined Mar 2007
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverexpress View Post
Is this just a rebranded Beastx?
It includes the receiver built-in, so you don't need a separate receiver or Spektrum satellite.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 03:50 PM
Lifetime Member
Providence, RI, USA
Joined Dec 1996
2,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StangGuy View Post
Has anyone given any thought to using the new AR7200BX that comes with the Blade 450x in a Trex 250?

I love my mcpx, but was thinking I want something with similar flight characteristics in a bigger package. Since e-Flite didn't come out with a MCPx 120 yet (or a 250 model for that matter), I figured I would build my own FBL 250 class heli. I love the stability of the TRex 250 as well, but I think I would love it even more in FBL form.

I know that the AR7200BX will replace my current Spektrum receiver, but will it replace the duties of my HH gyro as well? If so, I suspect the weight savings of the FBL head and removal of the gyro will be fairly significant.

Yes, it has tail gyro control built in, that is the beauty of this all in 1 package.

John
JohnM is offline Find More Posts by JohnM
Old Oct 21, 2011, 05:38 PM
Joined Mar 2007
107 Posts
Sweet! That's what I thought after researching more and comparing to the BeastX unit. It looks like they just combined a Spektrum dsmx receiver with the BeastX unit into one great package. I'm hoping they post more information about it (including the user manual) in the near future.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 05:42 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,329 Posts
There have been rumors that BeastX was somewhat involved in the development of the MCPx. That would explain why Eflight, who had not made a FBL heli before, suddenly went ahead of the Walkera FBL micros at that time. This seems to lend credence to these rumors.

It is a good move by BeastX though. Among the established FBL system makers, they are the most threatened by the onslaught of cheap Chinese FBL systems. Align and Mikido can bundle their 3GX and Vbar with their kits.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Nov 09, 2011, 11:28 AM
Joined Mar 2007
107 Posts
User manual has been posted, but release date has been pushed back to January.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 08:17 PM
United States, IL, Oquawka
Joined Nov 2003
116 Posts
I just picked up a used Trex 250se with an Align FBL head, and installed my Micro Beastx w/ spek sat rx........WOW, I like this set up! Rock solid, almost hands free hovering in my workshop. And the tail is locked! Can't wait to get more battery packs now, I only have an old 800mah pack from a CP pro from 2yrs ago, but I'm still getting 4mins hovering and putting 425 to 450 mah back in, pretty tuff to beat the effeciency of FBL.

Matt
HP^Matt is offline Find More Posts by HP^Matt
Old Nov 16, 2011, 09:29 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
There have been rumors that BeastX was somewhat involved in the development of the MCPx. That would explain why Eflight, who had not made a FBL heli before, suddenly went ahead of the Walkera FBL micros at that time. This seems to lend credence to these rumors.

It is a good move by BeastX though. Among the established FBL system makers, they are the most threatened by the onslaught of cheap Chinese FBL systems. Align and Mikido can bundle their 3GX and Vbar with their kits.
I think you are confused on who was first.. Walkera Had the V120D0*'s out way before Blade had the mCPX.. And some of us were flying the 4G6 with the S RX as a flybarless heli.. back in 2010 if I remember right.. I'm sure I was flying mine last fall..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Nov 17, 2011, 05:10 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
I think you are confused on who was first.. Walkera Had the V120D0*'s out way before Blade had the mCPX.. And some of us were flying the 4G6 with the S RX as a flybarless heli.. back in 2010 if I remember right.. I'm sure I was flying mine last fall..
I was flying Walkera FBL well before the MCPx came out. But when the MCPx came out, it was generally agreed that it was a bit better than the FBL system used on the V120 series at that time. This is great achievement for Blade since Walkera have been making them well before them.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Mar 10, 2012, 06:33 PM
United States, MI, Shelby Township
Joined Mar 2011
177 Posts
Quote:

Love the car dude...I have a 2001 Cobra Convert. with 14000 wonderfult miles on 'er...Back on topic...I was just thinking the same thing about the AR7200BX with a FBL head for my T-Rex 250....I've been eyeing both the Blade 300X and Blade 450X with eager anticipation but my flying is basically in my Front/Back yard so do I really need another Heli to "Go FlyBarLess" (well of course I don't NEED one)??? Still both the 300X and 450X are intriguing for the price...

J.
jimmiedac is offline Find More Posts by jimmiedac
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:31 AM
Joined Mar 2007
107 Posts
Thanks for the compliment on the car.

As for the AR7200BX on a Trex 250, I don't think I'm going that way anymore. They've priced the 300X (with AR7200BX included) so well, that I think I'll just buy the whole heli. It's not much more than the stand-alone AR7200BX.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 06:08 PM
United States, MI, Shelby Township
Joined Mar 2011
177 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the compliment on the car.

As for the AR7200BX on a Trex 250, I don't think I'm going that way anymore. They've priced the 300X (with AR7200BX included) so well, that I think I'll just buy the whole heli. It's not much more than the stand-alone AR7200BX.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Actually I decided to go with the 450 X for the time being (the 300 X won't be available until mid-June)...I'm very pleased that I "pulled the trigger" on the 450 X. It's a great flyer and I think that for the time being I'm going to concentrate on that...flying and buying "upgrade" parts.....

Regards,
J
jimmiedac is offline Find More Posts by jimmiedac
Old Jun 22, 2012, 02:17 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1 Posts
Trex250 and ar7200bx

I just made this conversion and wow. Totally stable and super responsive. I was nervous spooling up but it just lifted straight off. Couple of points worth mentioning though.

1. Get the swash level first by using a swash levelling tool
2. Don't be overly concerned about step J and the 6 degrees and blue light. On a small heli this seems nearly impossible. Instead get the 6 degrees with the purple light. Everything will be fine.
3. Ensure heli is level for take off. I tried on grass in my garden and it tilted. I then took it to the front and the road and a perfect vertical take off was the result.
ukrcguy is offline Find More Posts by ukrcguy