HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:01 PM
United States, OR, Gresham
Joined Oct 2003
126 Posts
Discussion
Saito FA-45

So after spending two hours searching every forum and the Internet in general and speaking with Horizon directly, I am not any further in finding my answers. Every manual I find does not list the FA-45 specifically.

Here's my problem. I replaced the idle needle with what I thought was the correct part. I cannot get it to idle properly.

What I need to know-
1.what is the correct part number for the idle needle?
2. Is there a difference between an FA-45 and an FA-45MKII?
3. How can I tell the difference without the box?
4. What si the correct engine code? This website says it is C http://www.gravesrc.com/category_s/233.htm. This website shows it in the class of a .50 http://saito-engine.com/saito%20engi...%20pricing.pdf
5. Is the FA-45, specifically the carb and components, interchangeable with .40s or .50s?

I also need a throttle lever. The one I have has threads to connect the throttle lever vs, the typical "grip" and set screw I normally see, like on my Saito 56GK.
1. What is the correct part number for a throttle lever?

Any help is MUCH appreciated.
SafetyChain is offline Find More Posts by SafetyChain
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:18 PM
engine-a-holic
Portugal, Lisboa, Amadora
Joined Jun 2007
314 Posts
The MKI should use the same carb assembly as the 40 and 45MKII as far as I know of...
Patxipt is offline Find More Posts by Patxipt
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:20 PM
Joined Feb 2007
2,742 Posts
Does your carb look like this one? Disregard the intake, I cut the bell off of it so it would clear the firewall in an RCM 40. Here's a shot of my 45MKII and FA 40 side by side.
I TOBOR is online now Find More Posts by I TOBOR
Last edited by I TOBOR; Oct 21, 2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:39 AM
Joined Oct 2003
126 Posts
Sorry for the delay in responding. Out of town for the weekend and no Internet access.

Tabor- the picture on the left is exactly like mine. Is that an MKII? Do you know the part numbers and where to get the Idle needle and throttle arm/cap? What caused me to go through this is I bent the thumb knob on the idle needle and it broke off.

Worst case, will the carb on a newer 40a fit on the 45MKII?
Last edited by SafetyChain; Oct 24, 2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:49 AM
Joined Feb 2007
2,742 Posts
SC, if you're referring to the left engine in this picture that is the .45MKII
Old Oct 25, 2011, 02:37 PM
Joined Oct 2003
126 Posts
I am. So I've concluded it is a Saito FA-45 MKII.

Now, anyone know where to get parts?
Old Oct 25, 2011, 06:49 PM
Whatever works well .
United States, MI, Marysville
Joined Apr 2010
2,052 Posts
Do you have the broken pieces ?
Another possible if Saito does not support the parts would be to look at EBay for a parts donor. I am quite surprised if the later needle will not work however.
Gary Cee is offline Find More Posts by Gary Cee
Old Oct 25, 2011, 08:14 PM
Joined Mar 2009
137 Posts
Was looking around ebay found this, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Saito-Engine...item53e4512e84

If it`s the correct needle or not I can`t say but worth a look.
This needle can also be found at horizon hobby,Go hobbies likely others. Good chance the needle you`re looking for is still in use but with the screwdriver slot an not the knob.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...dID=SAI40MK389
http://www.gohobbies.com/item/Saito-...s/40MK389.html
Old coot is offline Find More Posts by Old coot
Old Oct 25, 2011, 08:47 PM
Joined Feb 2007
2,742 Posts
The needle on EBAY is far a Saito 40a, the needle he needs would look like this one on this FA40. Tomorrow I'll take that one out and compare it to the 40a LS needle.

PS, Gary i made a velocity stack for the FA40 since I hacked most of the stock one off to clear the firewall in my RCM 40. it used to point straight back like the FA45.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 09:12 PM
Joined Mar 2009
137 Posts
Tomorrow I'll take that one out and compare it to the 40a LS needle.
Hi I tobor, It would be great if you do pull that one an check. I found the a scaned copy of the manual for that engine on rcu an going by it the needle does look somewhat a-like but with out that knob but no part numbers, Post 8. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10461850.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:21 PM
Cox Engine Hoarder
Neenah, Wisconsin, United States
Joined Jun 2004
571 Posts
The saito manual does not list part numbers. I have the FA-45 Mk2 manual in front of me. It just has a part listing and a picture. The throttle arm is 52 and the low speed needle is 56 in the parts listing.

The manual makes for poor toilet paper. Not much in it and half of it is in Japanese.
Jason_WI is offline Find More Posts by Jason_WI
Old Oct 26, 2011, 09:13 AM
Joined Feb 2007
2,742 Posts
OK, the needles are very different with the .40a LS adjuster being the new sleeve type that slides in and out over the catseye slit in the spray bar. Also, note intake pipe seal unique to the .40a and velocity stack I made for the FA .40. I'll put a picture of the 2.20s LS adjuster. On checking OCs links and comparing it to the FA .40 needle it just might wok, it might be worth 3 bucks to find out.
Last edited by I TOBOR; Oct 26, 2011 at 09:36 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 09:46 AM
Joined Mar 2009
137 Posts
That needle you have does look alot like the one I was looking at but without the knob though.
Old Nov 05, 2011, 10:30 PM
Joined Jan 2006
263 Posts
Here is the manual for what it is worth. I like the engine a lot it is a nice engine, if you give it a newer cast muffler (part number SAI5074C ) and connector pipe from like the 56 it is very very quiet. The 56 is the closest engine to it still being sold. The 40s and 50s are very different then your engine.

I would go with part SAI40MK389 as Old Coot pictured above, it should work nice, if you want you could solder a knob or a brass tube with a lever to it. For what it is worth I have never adjusted the low seed needle on 45 I use, my dad set it decades ago. There is no access to it in the plane it is in, and it idles real good and accelerates perfect. I am sure this is because I can not mess it up .

As far as the throttle lever if it looked like what is in the manual I do not think it is available, look like some OS ones but I am sure it is a little different then those. I like this type better then the more common, it is more reliable then the plastic set screw ones they break with age. The worst are the metal ones that are pinned, it always slips. So a metal with a square hole is good.

The 40MKIII and 45MKII were mostly the same as each other. It seems their carb is quite a bit different then other Saitos, it even sticks out in the rear instead of down.. The 45s (not sold in the US) was similar but with the carb and maybe valves of the newer 50 (also no longer being sold) I think. Surprisingly, there are a lot of parts available for the 45MKII still, such as gasket sets. needles, valves, push rods, and small screws and springs for the carb.
gzkpez is offline Find More Posts by gzkpez
Last edited by gzkpez; Nov 05, 2011 at 10:48 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2011, 09:34 AM
Whatever works well .
United States, MI, Marysville
Joined Apr 2010
2,052 Posts
Safetychain.

If you have the remaining pieces, or if someone (Itobor??) can loan a pattern or supply a drawing, I will be happy to make a replacement up for you.
Gary Cee is offline Find More Posts by Gary Cee