HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2011, 06:07 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by golds View Post
Approximately 10 meters.
My best guess is to extend the USB cable. They make them up to 40 feet long.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2011, 02:20 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
My best guess is to extend the USB cable. They make them up to 40 feet long.

Glen
Hi:

Any good quality USB cable is likely shielded. So, I agree with Glen. That would be the best candidate for extending the PC cable length. I suppose you could also use a long aileron extension. It would be best to use a twisted-pair type cable for this because twisted-pair is "self shielding". But honestly, we have not tested extremely long cables in this scenario. My guess is it will work O.K. If there are any problems, you might start seeing loses of data in graphs, or the CCS might freeze up momentarily. It's not something that could lead to damage of the PC or the charger.

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Nov 27, 2011, 05:06 PM
Joined Nov 2011
117 Posts
What's the max current 16awg can handle? Can it do 17amps?
teeforb is offline Find More Posts by teeforb
Old Nov 27, 2011, 06:45 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,557 Posts
Don't know the max but it will do 17 amps OK.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Nov 27, 2011, 06:51 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,888 Posts
Fusing current for 16 gauge wire is ~115 amps. Current handling in actual usage will vary depending on type of insulation, whether wire is enclosed or in free air, and tolerable heat level. That said, 17 amps is a walk in the park for 16 gauge wire, no matter the insulation type or usage application.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2011, 06:57 PM
Joined Nov 2011
117 Posts
Where in the instructions give your the direction the ccs driver connection to the charger? It's a three wire device and can be connected two ways. It's the servo end that goes in the charger. I don't want to fry my machine.

And is there any order I need to power up with the ccs?

Thx
Old Nov 27, 2011, 07:12 PM
Joined Nov 2011
117 Posts
Also, my ccs won't recognize my pl6. I installed everything, including the drivers. Ccs is saying no data from powerlab 6. Please help!
Old Nov 27, 2011, 07:51 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeforb View Post
Also, my ccs won't recognize my pl6. I installed everything, including the drivers. Ccs is saying no data from powerlab 6. Please help!
Hi:

Please read FAQ no. 1 from the following page. This seems to always get people going when they have troubles:

http://revolectrix.com/faqs.htm?category=54

Be careful about polarity on the PC interface plug. The black wire lines up with the black circle indicating "-" on the label. If you have it backwards, nothing will be damaged. It just won't work.

Also, be sure to set the COM port pull-down to AUTO on the CCS.

Tim Marks
Old Nov 27, 2011, 08:57 PM
Joined Nov 2011
117 Posts
Thx, yes it was reversed. It's working now?

?, what's the point of having minimum voltage. How does it help?
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:58 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Thx, yes it was reversed. It's working now?

?, what's the point of having minimum voltage. How does it help?
Hi:

Not sure I understand your question. Can you please be more specific?

Tim Marks
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:20 PM
Joined Nov 2011
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
Hi:

Not sure I understand your question. Can you please be more specific?

Tim Marks
sorry.. on the CCS, you can state max current to draw and the min voltage. what does setting min voltage do? is it a safety feature?
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:43 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
sorry.. on the CCS, you can state max current to draw and the min voltage. what does setting min voltage do? is it a safety feature?
Hi:

Yes, it prevents you from overloading the output of your PSU. If you set the current a few amps below the max current the PSU will supply, you should be fine. But when you overload a PSU, the voltage often drops off abruptly. The PL will sense this and immediately pinch back the charge current. Set the Supply Low Voltage Limit a couple of volts below your PSU stated regulated output voltage. But if you find that you are having problems achieving the expected charge currents; e.g., PL is kicking out on an under-voltage Safety Code, then you could try reducing the Supply Low Voltage Limit further. The current limit and low voltage limit work together to protect your PSU as part of Smart Power Management.

There is a similar setting on the Battery side of the Supply tab. In this case, you're telling the PL not to draw current out of the Pb input battery to the point where it might be damaged.

I'm glad you asked these questions. It appears that you are following the instructions in the user guide and this is the first thing it tells you to do.

Tim Marks
Old Nov 28, 2011, 02:26 AM
Joined Nov 2011
117 Posts
I see. This makes since. I set the current correctly. Now I need to set the low voltage.

Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
Hi:

Yes, it prevents you from overloading the output of your PSU. If you set the current a few amps below the max current the PSU will supply, you should be fine. But when you overload a PSU, the voltage often drops off abruptly. The PL will sense this and immediately pinch back the charge current. Set the Supply Low Voltage Limit a couple of volts below your PSU stated regulated output voltage. But if you find that you are having problems achieving the expected charge currents; e.g., PL is kicking out on an under-voltage Safety Code, then you could try reducing the Supply Low Voltage Limit further. The current limit and low voltage limit work together to protect your PSU as part of Smart Power Management.

There is a similar setting on the Battery side of the Supply tab. In this case, you're telling the PL not to draw current out of the Pb input battery to the point where it might be damaged.

I'm glad you asked these questions. It appears that you are following the instructions in the user guide and this is the first thing it tells you to do.

Tim Marks
Old Nov 28, 2011, 02:27 AM
Joined Nov 2011
117 Posts
How are u guys mounting your PL chargers in your cases? I need a solution that isn't velcro related.

Thx
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:15 AM
Joined Nov 2011
14 Posts
balance board

hi guys, will the balance board of my hitech charger plug right in to the pl 6? or do i have to get a new one thats made for it? thanks.
psionic619 is offline Find More Posts by psionic619