HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 25, 2011, 01:23 PM
Россия, город Москва
Joined Nov 2011
7 Posts
Thank you.
I'll use connectors to charge car battery with a current of no more than 5-6 amps.
I think this current will not cause overheating of the connector.
golds is offline Find More Posts by golds
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2011, 07:15 PM
Joined Nov 2011
117 Posts
Hey guys, will those cramp/clamp connectors like at radio shack be sufficient enough for the power of these chargers. I need to use them for both on power supply and AC side.

Thx
teeforb is offline Find More Posts by teeforb
Old Nov 25, 2011, 08:16 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeforb View Post
Hey guys, will those cramp/clamp connectors like at radio shack be sufficient enough for the power of these chargers. I need to use them for both on power supply and AC side.

Thx
I've never seen anything at Radio Shack large enough to carry the current required by the PL8/6.
Do you have a link to any specific item?

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Nov 25, 2011, 09:33 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,657 Posts
Most of the Radio Shack, Hobbico, etc. banana conectors are good for 10A and less.

These are very good ones IMO and I have used them for several years on high power chargers.

http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/pro...-Plug-UG2.aspx

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Nov 26, 2011, 01:06 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,958 Posts
FWIW, I have been having great luck with no undue heating at 40-50A with these 4mm plugs from HobbyKing:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...irs_20pc_.html

They have some new 4mm plugs with spring type contacts and I have some on order. Will solder some up and perform voltage drop testing on them per my standard procedure when they arrive. They look really nice and they're stupid cheap.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...airs_set_.html

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2011, 08:03 PM
Joined Nov 2011
117 Posts
Not the banana plugs.. Those y or circle clamp ons that you screw into the power supply. You clamp them to the wire and u screw them on the power supply.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 08:13 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,958 Posts
Gotcha. Crimp rings. If they're the right size and crimped properly, they will easily do 50 amps all day long.

Do you plan to attach them directly to your charger leads? If so, charger portability will be hampered a bit by having to unbolt them from the PS each time you want to charge remotely from AC. If you don't plan on moving your charger often, they'll work great.

If you desire to maintain charger portability, crimp rings with a short lead to an easily removable plug (bullets, Deans, Anderson Powerpoles, etc.) would be another option.

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2011, 10:10 PM
Joined Nov 2011
117 Posts
Yes, my charger system will be stationary. I'm planning to go direct. I just want to ensure the crimp style connectors are good.

Thx
Old Nov 26, 2011, 11:49 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,958 Posts
I would avoid the compression connectors at Radio Shack and instead go to your local hardware store, Home Depot, Lowes, or electrical supply store and get some high quality ring terminals that are properly sized for the wire on your charger. Highly recommend picking up some Thomas and Betts (or similar) crimpers while you're at it so you can make perfect crimps for the rest of your life.

Hint: If you haul your charger with you, your local store may even crimp the connectors on for you...

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2011, 11:56 PM
Joined Nov 2011
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
I would avoid the compression connectors at Radio Shack and instead go to your local hardware store, Home Depot, Lowes, or electrical supply store and get some high quality ring terminals that are properly sized for the wire on your charger. Highly recommend picking up some Thomas and Betts (or similar) crimpers while you're at it so you can make perfect crimps for the rest of your life.

Hint: If you haul your charger with you, your local store may even crimp the connectors on for you...

Mark
Sounds good! Home depot it is!
Old Nov 27, 2011, 12:02 AM
Joined Nov 2011
117 Posts
Oh wow! Can I not get away with some $20 crimp tools?
Old Nov 27, 2011, 02:36 AM
Россия, город Москва
Joined Nov 2011
7 Posts
My computer is far away from where I charge my batteries.
Can I use wire extension to connect the FUIM3 Module to the charger?
What is the maximum length of wire extension could be?
Which wire to use for wire extension?
Old Nov 27, 2011, 05:17 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by golds View Post
My computer is far away from where I charge my batteries.
Can I use wire extension to connect the FUIM3 Module to the charger?
What is the maximum length of wire extension could be?
Which wire to use for wire extension?
How far is "far away" (feet, meters)?
You can either get a longer USB cable, or use a standard servo extension cable, (maybe both). I'm not sure of the length. Hopefully someone from FMA will come in with the answer.

Glen
Old Nov 27, 2011, 05:25 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeforb View Post
Oh wow! Can I not get away with some $20 crimp tools?
Unless you are ninety years old, always buy the absolute best tools you can possibly afford. Good tools last forever. Buying one good tool is better than replacing cheap tools that either break or don't do a good job.

Glen
Old Nov 27, 2011, 05:59 AM
Россия, город Москва
Joined Nov 2011
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
How far is "far away" (feet, meters)?
Approximately 10 meters.