HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2011, 10:52 AM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeforb View Post
I spent a little more time to read the bullets. I'm not sure if I can capitalize off of this feature. I'll be running packs at different times
Hi:

Nothing wrong with operating the units independently. Expansion Channel Mode is particularly convenient for customers who use split packs in airplanes. They can't fly with half a pack. Whatever works best for you. It's nice to know you have the option though.

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2011, 12:47 PM
Joined Nov 2011
117 Posts
Hi Tim,

can you share your thoughts with using non-PFC PSU over 800+ watts in regards to using 110VAC?

thx
teeforb is offline Find More Posts by teeforb
Old Nov 18, 2011, 01:10 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeforb View Post
Hi Tim,

can you share your thoughts with using non-PFC PSU over 800+ watts in regards to using 110VAC?

thx
Hi:

Just check the input current spec for the PSU. If it's below 15A, it should be O.K. on a 15A breaker. If it's below 20A, it should be O.K. on a 20A breaker. One PSU per breaker with nothing else running on that circuit. If it's a 1000W PSU and you're only pulling 800W, you should be able to reduce the figure by 20%. It should be a linear calculation.

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Nov 18, 2011, 01:24 PM
Joined Nov 2011
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
Hi:

Just check the input current spec for the PSU. If it's below 15A, it should be O.K. on a 15A breaker. If it's below 20A, it should be O.K. on a 20A breaker. One PSU per breaker with nothing else running on that circuit. If it's a 1000W PSU and you're only pulling 800W, you should be able to reduce the figure by 20%. It should be a linear calculation.

Tim Marks
The PFC unit shows 17A @ 115V and the non-PFC shows 17.5A @ 115V. I am not sure how the PFC plays a factor here.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 08:38 AM
Россия, город Москва
Joined Nov 2011
7 Posts
Good day,
I'm looking charger for my 3S1P 2200mAh packs.
In the future I plan to use 6S1P 5000mAh packs.
I drew attention to PL6.
I have a few questions on the use.

1. To charge my eight packs 3S faster, better charge simultaneously two pack (parallel or sequentially), or charge a one pack of the current 2C or more?

2. What a way better to connect together two packs 3S is preferable for more precise balancing of cells and prolong battery life, a parallel or serial?

3. Can PL6 store information on each battery, such as the number of cycles, the charging current, the resistance of cells, capacity, charge time, etc.?

Thank you.

P.S. Sorry for my bad English.
golds is offline Find More Posts by golds
Old Nov 21, 2011, 09:45 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by golds View Post
Good day,
I'm looking charger for my 3S1P 2200mAh packs.
In the future I plan to use 6S1P 5000mAh packs.
I drew attention to PL6.
I have a few questions on the use.

1. To charge my eight packs 3S faster, better charge simultaneously two pack (parallel or sequentially), or charge a one pack of the current 2C or more?

2. What a way better to connect together two packs 3S is preferable for more precise balancing of cells and prolong battery life, a parallel or serial?

3. Can PL6 store information on each battery, such as the number of cycles, the charging current, the resistance of cells, capacity, charge time, etc.?

Thank you.

P.S. Sorry for my bad English.
1. It will be easiest to charge them in parallel.
The spreadsheet referenced will allow you to calculate actual measurements.
http://revolectrix.com/support_docs/item_1383.zip

2. Parallel is perfectly satisfactory and the easiest to set up. Some purists suggest series is better.

3. The PL6 by itself cannot save information on multiple battery packs. However the Charge Control Software (CCS) running on your computer will allow you to save all the information available for as many packs as you have (or ever will have).

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:49 PM
Россия, город Москва
Joined Nov 2011
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
1. It will be easiest to charge them in parallel.
The spreadsheet referenced will allow you to calculate actual measurements.
http://revolectrix.com/support_docs/item_1383.zip

2. Parallel is perfectly satisfactory and the easiest to set up. Some purists suggest series is better.

3. The PL6 by itself cannot save information on multiple battery packs. However the Charge Control Software (CCS) running on your computer will allow you to save all the information available for as many packs as you have (or ever will have).

Glen
Thank you.
Then one more question.
As PL6 or CCS shows the voltage and resistance of each cell in the parallel connection of several battery packs?
Old Nov 21, 2011, 01:35 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,187 Posts
Quote:
Thank you.
Then one more question.
As PL6 or CCS shows the voltage and resistance of each cell in the parallel connection of several battery packs?
When you parallel two or more cells the voltage reading for each cell will be accurate.

However the Internal Resistance (IR) will not.
IR will be the result of the following calculation:
Rt = ((R1+R2+.....Rn)/n)/n (Basically the average of all cells in parallel divided by the number of cells in parallel.)

Edit: The last division may not be required. I am running a 4 pack parallel charge and it looks like the indicated IR is the average of the four cells. Glen
Last edited by ggcrandall1; Nov 21, 2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 02:16 PM
Россия, город Москва
Joined Nov 2011
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
When you parallel two or more cells the voltage reading for each cell will be accurate...
This means that if I connect 2x6S batteries in parallel, the PL6 will be show voltage on each of the 12 cells?
Old Nov 21, 2011, 02:39 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,187 Posts
Quote:
This means that if I connect 2x6S batteries in parallel, the PL6 will be show voltage on each of the 12 cells?
Not exactly.

When you connect two or more cells in parallel the PL6, or any other charger, sees it as a single cell. However since the cells are electrically connected they very quickly equalize to each other.

So to answer your question the PL6 will display only 6 cell positions not 12. But since there are two cells attached together at each of the 6 positions they will each have the same values.

Go to the page linked here and specify a 5s 2p battery and display the balance connector. What you will be seeing is tow 5 cell packs in parallel.

http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/lipo.html

Glen
Old Nov 22, 2011, 10:46 AM
Perfect 3pt inverted landing!
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2008
3,089 Posts
Got my PL6 yesterday. Now if the weather would improve I would have a reason to charge my batts!
teookie is offline Find More Posts by teookie
Old Nov 23, 2011, 10:27 AM
Joined Nov 2011
117 Posts
What is the gauge of the ac wire?

Thx

Edit: nevermind, I found my answer.
Last edited by teeforb; Nov 23, 2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 10:35 AM
Perfect 3pt inverted landing!
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2008
3,089 Posts
Quote:
The new PowerLab 6 with EC5-equipped input cable includes a one foot long, 12AWG input wire terminating with an EC5, female pin connector.
http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/...o-PowerLab-6_2
teookie is offline Find More Posts by teookie
Old Nov 25, 2011, 10:14 AM
Россия, город Москва
Joined Nov 2011
7 Posts
What is the charging connector has PL6?
I suppose that the 4mm banana plug.
Is this correct?
Old Nov 25, 2011, 01:10 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,016 Posts
The PL6 and the PL8 use a 4mm bullet style connector for the charger's output. But be careful when selecting your bullet connectors, they are not all equal. The FMA charge lead uses a 4mm bullet connector that is slightly longer than most. The typical 4mm bullet will not support 40 amps without significant heating. If you use a non-FMA bullet, be sure to have your IR thermometer handy during you first high current charge or this might happen.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dual Powerlab Case Project