HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2011, 02:08 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Mar 2001
68 Posts
Tim, Gregor, and Mark, thank you for the thoughts and information! Very helpful!
lgibjones is offline Find More Posts by lgibjones
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2011, 03:52 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,059 Posts
PL8 vs PL6 photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeddaddy View Post
Yes, please show more pics, sides, back, etc
Hi:

Your wish is my command. Please note, I'm not much of a photographer, but this ought to get the message across. The following photos illustrate the comparative size of PL8 vs PL6. A few caveats:

1) The case on the PL6 is pre-production. The mold cavity has not yet been finished properly. The texture is not final.

2) The label on the PL6 is prototype. That's why it's so shiny. It's just paper.

3) Disregard the tape dispenser you can see in the one photo. It's not part of any packages we sell.

4) The case height of PL6 is around 1" shorter than PL8. It's difficult to see in this photo because we are using larger rubber feet on the case bottom. Larger feet mean bigger surface area. The rubber feet could always be removed by the customer if height was a real issue. There is adequate cooling on the unit without them. They're used purely for asthetics and to mitigate any vibration a fan might produce.

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Oct 28, 2011, 04:31 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
120 Posts
Real men use a PL-8.
misternatural - angelfood is offline Find More Posts by misternatural - angelfood
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 28, 2011, 04:48 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Thanks for the pics, has any realase dates been set yet? Other then late Nov..
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Old Oct 28, 2011, 05:11 PM
Perfect 3pt inverted landing!
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2008
3,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by misternatural View Post
Real men use a PL-8.
Great, now I feel less manly.

teookie is offline Find More Posts by teookie
Old Oct 28, 2011, 05:45 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgearuk View Post
Thanks for the pics, has any realase dates been set yet? Other then late Nov..
Hi:

Still on track for late Nov as far as I know. We'll keep everybody posted just like we did with Cellpro 10XP rollout.

Tim Marks
Old Oct 29, 2011, 09:44 AM
Delton,Mi
Joined Jun 2009
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
Hi:

Your wish is my command. Please note, I'm not much of a photographer, but this ought to get the message across. The following photos illustrate the comparative size of PL8 vs PL6. A few caveats:

1) The case on the PL6 is pre-production. The mold cavity has not yet been finished properly. The texture is not final.

2) The label on the PL6 is prototype. That's why it's so shiny. It's just paper.

3) Disregard the tape dispenser you can see in the one photo. It's not part of any packages we sell.

4) The case height of PL6 is around 1" shorter than PL8. It's difficult to see in this photo because we are using larger rubber feet on the case bottom. Larger feet mean bigger surface area. The rubber feet could always be removed by the customer if height was a real issue. There is adequate cooling on the unit without them. They're used purely for asthetics and to mitigate any vibration a fan might produce.

Tim Marks
Thanks , great pics
Speeddaddy is offline Find More Posts by Speeddaddy
Old Oct 29, 2011, 02:53 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,470 Posts
I have not seen it posted yet so I'm sorry if I missed it but I'm hoping that Tim or someone can solve one of life's great mysteries for me - What went into the design decision to not include USB integral to the PL6 rather than having to use the annoying FUIM3 PC interface to connect to a computer?

Honestly, this was one of the deciding factors for me to cancel my PL8 pre-order last spring. If it's a "cost savings for those who don't need it" sort of thing, I somewhat understand but it would have been really nice to have a 'USB' version and 'USB upgradeable' version for those of us to prefer to not fiddle with extra wires and gadgets and such. I much prefer clean chargers without extra umbilical cords and whatnot hanging out the sides. I doubt I'm alone.

I don't need one at all but really want to get one to 'kick the tires' and this USB thing is a burr in my saddle.

/end rant.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2011, 09:33 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
I have not seen it posted yet so I'm sorry if I missed it but I'm hoping that Tim or someone can solve one of life's great mysteries for me - What went into the design decision to not include USB integral to the PL6 rather than having to use the annoying FUIM3 PC interface to connect to a computer?

Honestly, this was one of the deciding factors for me to cancel my PL8 pre-order last spring. If it's a "cost savings for those who don't need it" sort of thing, I somewhat understand but it would have been really nice to have a 'USB' version and 'USB upgradeable' version for those of us to prefer to not fiddle with extra wires and gadgets and such. I much prefer clean chargers without extra umbilical cords and whatnot hanging out the sides. I doubt I'm alone.

I don't need one at all but really want to get one to 'kick the tires' and this USB thing is a burr in my saddle.

/end rant.

Mark
Hi:

Here's what I posted with regard to the same question asked in Jan, 2010 regarding the PL8:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=236

We feel it's important to protect customer's PC USB port against a potential charger failure. So far, we haven't figured out a way that works as well or better than opto-isolation. Yes, perhaps we could embed this in the product, but that would increase price considerably. If you have one FUIM2/FUIM3, you can use it with any number of Revolectrix products. Some like the idea, and I guess some don't. Hard to please everybody.

Tim Marks
Old Oct 29, 2011, 11:42 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,470 Posts
Thanks for indulging my query Tim. You can put me in the "wants USB inside the case" camp.

Food for thought - Perhaps in future PL* development you might consider a small removable cover on the side of the charger case that allows for separate purchase and permanent installation of the FUIM3 USB interface by the end user (retailer, etc.) such that there's no chance of the inevitable lost, misplaced, or damaged USB dongle. This way everybody wins.

I will happily beta test said product for you...

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2011, 11:57 AM
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Feb 2002
160 Posts
Can I charge 2 5S 5000ma packs in parallel at 1S using a Iota 55 (12volt) power supply?
astropuppy is offline Find More Posts by astropuppy
Old Oct 30, 2011, 01:45 PM
BVH
United States, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Dec 2006
273 Posts
Easily. I charge 2, 6S/5300 packs in parallel with the PL8 and my Iota 12V/55A. Real rough numbers: You might pull 250 Watts give or take including a liberal 20-25% increase for some Power Factor Correction.
BVH is online now Find More Posts by BVH
Old Oct 30, 2011, 02:13 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by misternatural View Post
Real men use a PL-8.
O.K., so I got a pm telling me this kind of post is not helpful and that apparently NONE of my posts regarding this and the PL-8 are helpful.

First, let me say I'm sorry, I just wanted to inject a little humor, and in an ironic way point out that one simply could not make a mistake buying either.

Secondly, my comments dealing with FMA's marketing for what I call the least sophisticated (and, I admitted being one) were, in fact, intended to help those folks, if reading, understand that almost ANY capacity power supply would work with these fine devices, which are more than just battery chargers, and that spending money on Chinese stuff was only an illusory value, not the true value that these things are.

Third, as I use a PL-8 and will likely buy another, I'm a real man!
misternatural - angelfood is offline Find More Posts by misternatural - angelfood
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 30, 2011, 03:33 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVH View Post
Easily. I charge 2, 6S/5300 packs in parallel with the PL8 and my Iota 12V/55A. Real rough numbers: You might pull 250 Watts give or take including a liberal 20-25% increase for some Power Factor Correction.
Agree with the ~250 watt estimate, however, PFC has nothing to do with current draw on the DC output of any power supply. Perhaps you mean '20-25% allowance for charger DC-DC converter losses'?

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2011, 03:53 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by astropuppy View Post
Can I charge 2 5S 5000ma packs in parallel at 1S using a Iota 55 (12volt) power supply?
Hi:

Please download the PL6 Power Calculator ss. Go to the following page, click the 2nd link in the tab to download the zip file. Open the ss using MS Excel.

http://www.revolectrix.com/PL6_links_tab.htm

Using question 4 of the ss, inputting your PSU and battery info, the max output current will be 19.4A (worst case).

This means you could charge 2 x 5s, 5000 mAh at around 2C if you wanted.

No need to guess at this. It's all right there for you to use.

Tim Marks