HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2011, 12:38 AM
Joined Nov 2011
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
If the cells are that close already then it won't take long for any charger to balance. Its also worth pointing out that many confuse "balancing" with the CV stage of charging. This is the stage were the cells have reached 4.2v and the charger slowly reduces the current at the same time the cell voltage is sagging. The voltage is kept at 4.2v during this stage as the cells settle. All Cellpro chargers start balancing well before 4.2. By the time the voltage gets to the CV stage, its already balanced. You can really speed up the CV stage by using either using the "Faster Charge" preset, or even further with the CCS and changing the C/? setting.

Also, the PL6 and PL8 have 1 amp balancing power. The charger will not have to slow the charge down to balance.
What setting on the fast charge profile makes it a fast charge?
teeforb is offline Find More Posts by teeforb
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2011, 12:39 AM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,015 Posts
Almost forgot. With regenerative discharging, the limit is 1000 watts. It works best with a Pb battery and a light bar.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dual Powerlab Case Project
Old Dec 01, 2011, 12:43 AM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeforb View Post
What setting on the fast charge profile makes it a fast charge?
C/? Charge Termination is the main one.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2011, 01:09 AM
Joined Nov 2011
117 Posts
Can you elaborate on the balance dead band and balance set point?

Thx

Quote:
Those cheap chargers that have no balancing and stop the charge when a single cell gets to 4.2v are bad for batteries. I had a friend that was using one and was complaining the battery seemed to be down on power and dying prematurely. We finaly got around to checking his cell voltages. One cell was 4.2 the others were below 4v. He ordered a Cellpro 4s (this was a while ago) and the Cellpro was able to recover the battery. It balanced and ran well after that.

Another friend was using one and I checked the pack to see how well it had one. 4.2 on one cell, the other two were 4.15v. He didn't have that many cycles on it, but you could see it going down hill.

If you want super fast charges, look at my C/3 setting above. Balanced as we as fast. Not 100% charged but darn close.
teeforb is offline Find More Posts by teeforb
Old Dec 01, 2011, 01:48 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,271 Posts
Quote:
Almost forgot. With regenerative discharging, the limit is 1000 watts. It works best with a Pb battery and a light bar.
This is a very informative thread...

This is one feature I really like the sound of! Now I understand when it's in it's regenerative mode it would be charging the Pb under a CV setting probably 14.4v upto 1000watts and I assume that the light bar is some form of lightbulb you have across the Pb battery terminals at the same time... So what is a light bar? I assume it is some kind of 12v bulb/bulbs that would be rated at upto a 1000watts or is it variable depending on how many bulbs you have switched? Like 500watts then the other 500w is left available to charge the Pb?
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Old Dec 01, 2011, 10:16 AM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgearuk View Post
Now I understand when it's in it's regenerative mode it would be charging the Pb under a CV setting probably 14.4v upto 1000watts
Correct. The regen discharge voltage cuttoff is 14.4v on the Pb battery. If the battery is already close to full, you may hit that before you are done discharging and the discharge current will be throttled back. Also most Pb batteries should not be charged at over 20 amps. The light bar is a 10 automotive lamps connected in parallel. The light bar is connected in parallel to the Pb battery to help shunt some of the current which increases the discharge capacity and reduces the current to the Pb battery.

I'm using a Dean's light bar which I picked up in my car days about 20 years ago. It looks like the one in this thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...22&postcount=1

I put a jumper in my light bar so I can make 5 or 10 bulbs depending on how much current I need it to draw.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2011, 10:20 AM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeforb View Post
Can you elaborate on the balance dead band and balance set point?

Thx
It controls how tightly the cells voltages are matched by the balancer.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2011, 11:19 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,374 Posts
Quote:
What are you using for a light bar?
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Dec 01, 2011, 11:36 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,015 Posts
From post 201

Quote:
I'm using a Dean's light bar which I picked up in my car days about 20 years ago. It looks like the one in this thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...22&postcount=1

I put a jumper in my light bar so I can make 5 or 10 bulbs depending on how much current I need it to draw.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2011, 06:39 AM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,374 Posts
Quote:
From post 201
Thanks, I missed that.
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Dec 04, 2011, 05:15 AM
E TN
Joined Jan 2003
231 Posts
Just got my PL6 from progressive with paraboard and pl adapter cable. I have selected XH for node. But when I try to charge I get cell count warning. I have looked thru manual I have no ideas

Bill
Komet ME163 is online now Find More Posts by Komet ME163
Old Dec 04, 2011, 12:31 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,015 Posts
Double check that you are using the correct Paraboard to PL8/6 cable. Note that you cannot connect the Paraboard to an FMA to JST adapter board. You must use a special cable that goes from the PL6 directly to the Paraboard. Next, check to make sure you have one of the correctly wired cables. Early on there were some FMA to Paraboard cables that were not wired correctly. The red wire should be connected to pin 7 not pin 9. See the images below.

Incorrect

Correct
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2011, 01:27 PM
E TN
Joined Jan 2003
231 Posts
Thanks for the reply gregor, yes I have the correct cable, direct from pl6 to paraboard. Check contunity on cable and different paraboard tried, no difference. Guess I'll call progressive tommorrow. Thanks

Bill
Old Dec 04, 2011, 01:42 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,015 Posts
Sounds good, Dave will take care of you. Also here's another thing to check. With the Paraboard disconnected from the charger, connect your pack to the node wires, not the discharge lead. Then use a multimeter to check each cell individually at the male connector (end that goes into the PL6). Put the multmeter negative lead on the pin connected to the black wire. The positive side of the multmeter goes on the pin connected to the white wire directly next to the black wire.

For a lipo that should read about 3.7v-3.8v. Next move the positive side of the multimeter to the next white wire. That should add another 3.7v-3.8v to the total. Continue to work your way up until you get to the last cell in the pack.

Also are you using any additional adapters between the paraboard and the packs? Or is it just PL6-->Paraboard-->pack?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2011, 03:19 PM
E TN
Joined Jan 2003
231 Posts
Hey Gregor got it working. After your last post i checked connections and I was hot on red wire and out. Looked at pick that you had and progressives for adapter cable. Was wired right on pl6 side but wrong on paraboard side. Reversed all wires and charger is now working. Now I need to call progressive tomorrow and let them know. Thanks for your help.

Bill