SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 30, 2011, 09:45 AM
Joined Nov 2011
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
Have you tried reloading the firmware on the PL6 that gives you the SVS? error?

I don't think your EPBUDDY adapter is series. It's parallel. Have you wired it to the FMA balance connector correctly?
Have you set the PL6 Node wiring to XH/EH mode? See the Options tab in the CCS.

Glen
Yes, I roloaded it. It still gives me the error.

It is series adapter. I'm sure. But I didn't the that option. Can you elaborate?
teeforb is offline Find More Posts by teeforb
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:11 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeforb View Post
Yes, I roloaded it. It still gives me the error.

It is series adapter. I'm sure. But I didn't the that option. Can you elaborate?
How about a link to your adapter.

Below is an excerpt from the PL6 users manual. Page 46-47

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Node Wiring =: When set to FMA Wiring, PowerLab looks for FMA/Cellpro wiring convention on the balance port. When set to XH/EH Wiring, PowerLab looks for the JST XH/EH wiring convention on the balance port. See FMA Wiring mode vs. XH/EH Wiring mode later in this user guide for more details.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have FMA wiring selected when using the EPbuddy adapter the PL6 will give you an error message and will not start charging.

Do you have the users manual? If not it is available from the REVOLECTRIX web site: http://www.revolectrix.com/

Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on downloads.

Are you using the CCS? If not I suggest you buy the FUIM3 USB adapter and download the CCS from the above mentioned site. Using the CCS makes navigation the PL6 options and features much easier.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Last edited by ggcrandall1; Nov 30, 2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:18 AM
Joined Nov 2011
117 Posts
http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...ex&cPath=26_16

The series work now with the option change. This sucks. If I want to go from fma to xht, I have to keep on switching this option.

For the other charger, it's an safety code 46. That's net even in the manual
Last edited by teeforb; Nov 30, 2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:44 AM
Joined Nov 2011
117 Posts
for an 8c charge / 50c to 100c discharge, what's a safe AMP i can discharge my lipos on the charger? now its running the defaulted 4A for discharge.

also note, on the charger that's giving me the safety code 46, i am able to discharge on it.. not charge..

thx
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:54 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,833 Posts
50 to 100C discharge ability tells us nothing without knowing the capacity. In the real world I would not be using a charger to discharge any LiPoly at greater than 5 to 10C unless I was doing some fairly serious LiPoly testing.

A 5C discharge takes 12 min. and a 10C one take 6 min .

Sorry but off hand I forget the max. internal discharge of the PL6. I believe it is 60 watts and simple math shows that with a 3S LiPoly...........

60 wattts / 12.6=7.76 A is max. discharge rate.

If the 3S LiPoly is 1,000 mAh then that is an approx. 8C discharge rate. If the Liply is 2200 mAh then it is an approx. 4C discharge rate.

Electrics are all about math and it really pays to learn how to do the basic calculations.

Sorry but there is no standard for balancing leads.

FMA has one sequence that changes with cell count.
Hyperion has one that does the same but uses a difference order.

Thunder Power was first with te simple next,next ,next order and now HK and most all China, Japan suppliers use the same order but the housings are different for the JST-XH ones.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Nov 30, 2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:57 AM
Joined Nov 2011
117 Posts
Sorry, 5600mah. But 5c discharge rate is good info.

Thx
Old Nov 30, 2011, 04:37 PM
Joined Nov 2011
117 Posts
Few questions..

1) can i wire the JST-XH such that it works FMA configuration?
2) What's bypass on each cell when you charge and using CCS?
3) can someone elaborate on C/?. I understand the larger the ? is, the more it tops off. But can someone give a little more details on exactly what is the charger doing with this setting?
4) what are folks typically using for C/?

thx
Old Nov 30, 2011, 05:53 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,216 Posts
Not with the Paraboard. The FMA wiring has the highest pin on the node wire connected to the last pin (pack +).

During balancing all cells are recieving the pack current coming from the charger. For balancing, the current for each cell can be shunted, or bypassed by the charger up to the value set in the preset (default is 1 amp). The percentage shown in the CCS is how much of that 1 amp is bypassing that one cell. For instance if the charge rate was set to 2 amps and one cell shows 50%, that means the balancer is bypassing 50% of 1amp or 500ma. That cell would then be recieving 1.5 amps while the rest of the pack would recieve 2 amps.

3) can someone elaborate on C/?. I understand the larger the ? is, the more it tops off. But can someone give a little more details on exactly what is the charger doing with this setting?
http://www.tjinguytech.com/charging-...-chargers-work

I used C/10 for most applications. Occasionally I will use C/20 when I have time and want a more accurate balance. I use C/3 when I'm in a hurry.
Gregor99 is online now Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Nov 30, 2011, 06:19 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,796 Posts
Quote:
Few questions..

thx
3. Are you asking about Auto charge rates? (Auto 1C, 2C, 3C).
If so, the charger attempts to determine the mah value of the pack being charged and sets the charge current to that value. For instance if you are charging a 2200mah battery the charger will attempt to determine that value and set the charge rate to 2.2 amps for auto 1C, or 4.4 amps for auto 2c and 6.6amps for auto 3c. This has nothing to do with how many milliamps are used to top off the battery.

The auto "C" charging rates are useful for folks that have a number of different sized packs and don't want to change the charging current for each pack value. For example you can set the charge rate to 1C and put on a 3S 1000mah pack and charge it, then without changing anything put on a 4S 3000mah pack. The charger will calculate the proper charge current for each pack. In each case the pack will be properly charged to full value.

4. I have no idea.

I personally do not use the auto "C" function. I prefer to set the charging current manually to match the pack being charged. This results in a faster charge as the charger does not have to spend any time calculating the values of the pack.

If I have missed the gist of your question please elaborate further. The more specific your question and the more detail you provide the easier it is to provide a valid answer. It also helps to provide references to manual sections and links to parts and other references.

Glen
Old Nov 30, 2011, 06:38 PM
Joined Nov 2011
117 Posts
thanks for the info! i'll read up on the lipo charging tonight (if time permits)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
Not with the Paraboard. The FMA wiring has the highest pin on the node wire connected to the last pin (pack +).

During balancing all cells are recieving the pack current coming from the charger. For balancing, the current for each cell can be shunted, or bypassed by the charger up to the value set in the preset (default is 1 amp). The percentage shown in the CCS is how much of that 1 amp is bypassing that one cell. For instance if the charge rate was set to 2 amps and one cell shows 50%, that means the balancer is bypassing 50% of 1amp or 500ma. That cell would then be recieving 1.5 amps while the rest of the pack would recieve 2 amps.

I used C/10 for most applications. Occasionally I will use C/20 when I have time and want a more accurate balance. I use C/3 when I'm in a hurry.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 06:49 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
This is not making much sense to me, so you mainly charge at C/10 which is effectively a slow/ trickle charge I.e 2000mah battery at C/10 charge rate would be 200mah.. And C/20 charge rate would 100mah and C/3 would be 666mah or are you talking about balance current?

Because I thought he was asking about charge C?
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Old Nov 30, 2011, 06:54 PM
Joined Nov 2011
117 Posts
i just read this....

very good information here! Now, i just have a question on the CV stage. I am wondering how come the charger can't set the voltage higher than 4.2v to instead keep the CC stage until the lipo pack resting voltage gets to 4.2V. I would think that's all that matters is that the lipo resting voltage isn't greater than 4.2v. As the article says, the charger voltage is only to create current to flow into the lipo itself...

thanks again for the information.. I'm becoming a lipo charging guru!
Old Nov 30, 2011, 06:57 PM
Joined Nov 2011
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgearuk View Post
This is not making much sense to me, so you mainly charge at C/10 which is effectively a slow/ trickle charge I.e 2000mah battery at C/10 charge rate would be 200mah.. And C/20 charge rate would 100mah and C/3 would be 666mah or are you talking about balance current?

Because I thought he was asking about charge C?
i was asking about C/?, which is an option in the PL chargers. but it seems u understand the concept. therefore, im not sure what you are confused about...
Old Nov 30, 2011, 07:00 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,796 Posts
Quote:
i just read this....

very good information here! Now, i just have a question on the CV stage. I am wondering how come the charger can't set the voltage higher than 4.2v to instead keep the CC stage until the lipo pack resting voltage gets to 4.2V. I would think that's all that matters is that the lipo resting voltage isn't greater than 4.2v. As the article says, the charger voltage is only to create current to flow into the lipo itself...

thanks again for the information.. I'm becoming a lipo charging guru!
Because much above 4.2v per cell and LiPo's have a tendency to do nasty things.

Glen
Old Nov 30, 2011, 07:13 PM
Joined Nov 2011
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
Because much above 4.2v per cell and LiPo's have a tendency to do nasty things.

Glen
but the lipo itself (resting voltage) will not be 4.2v.