Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:54 AM
United Kingdom, England, Wigan
Joined Jul 2011
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokkenmaker View Post
One side completed. i'm happy with the result
that looks most excellent.....

any wot-next that looks that good will fly way better than the plain ones.....

David
how much is offline Find More Posts by how much
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:30 AM
The Netherlands, OV, Holten
Joined Feb 2013
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by how much View Post
that looks most excellent.....

any wot-next that looks that good will fly way better than the plain ones.....

David
Thanks for the compliment David I hope you are right I have a question for you in what hole of the sevo arms do I fix the push rods I have 10 gram servo's with arms with six holes at each side. I have a transmitter that does not allow me to to set it in % so I can not set ailerons to 40% or 60%
Brokkenmaker is offline Find More Posts by Brokkenmaker
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:23 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,032 Posts
You have two ways to influence the throws. The hole at the servo and the hole at the control horn. At the servo end, the outermost hole will give you the most throw. At the control horn it's the opposite i.e. the closer the control rod is to the control surface the greater the throw. I tend to set mine up at the two extremes and tone down by selecting one of the 3 rates settings (I have a DX8) For non-computer radio users I'd start with the control rod at the outer hole at the servo and the highest hole at the control horn. Try it and gradually move the clevis down one hole at a time until you are comfortable. If you find that you prefer it on the highest hole then I'd move the servo clevis/z-bend to the middle hole and the control clevis to the middle hole. This gives the servos an easier time although I've yet to have a HXT9000 fail on me even running on max throws on much faster models than the Wot-Next
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Last edited by headlessagain; Feb 11, 2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:46 PM
Joined Feb 2013
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
You have two ways to influence the throws. The hole at the servo and the hole at the control horn. At the servo end, the outermost hole will give you the most throw. At the control horn it's the opposite i.e. the closer the control rod is to the control surface the greater the throw. I tend to set mine up at the two extremes and tone down by selecting one of the 3 rates settings (I have a DX8) For non-computer radio users I'd start with the control rod at the outer hole at the servo and the highest hole at the control horn. Try it and gradually move the clevis up one hole at a time until you are comfortable. If you find that you prefer it on the highest hole then I'd move the servo clevis/z-bend to the middle hole and the control clevis to the middle hole. This gives the servos an easier time although I've yet to have a HXT9000 fail on me even running on max throws on much faster models than the Wot-Next
Andy
I'm not afraid that the servo's will damage its more I want a smooth controle on the plane with smooth steering not to direct reaction I only flew a EZ hawk and not want to destroy this plane in its first maden flight
Last edited by Brokkenmaker; Feb 11, 2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:11 PM
Joined Jul 2011
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokkenmaker View Post
Thanks for the compliment David I hope you are right I have a question for you in what hole of the sevo arms do I fix the push rods I have 10 gram servo's with arms with six holes at each side. I have a transmitter that does not allow me to to set it in % so I can not set ailerons to 40% or 60%
if i can refer you to post #758

for a mild but enjoyable performance (ideal for novice pilots)...

the following settings are a good starting point and the model will still loop and roll so wont be boring

Aileron 12.5mm up and down deflection
Elevator 8.5mm up and down deflection
rudder 12.5mm left and right deflection

check your centre of gravity... it should be 70mm from the leading edge

you can always increase the throws by moving the pushrods further out on the servo arms as required

sorry for the delay answering your question..

been a bit busy trying to get my Sunderland flying boat finished for March 1st

David
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:26 AM
Joined Feb 2013
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by how much View Post
if i can refer you to post #758

for a mild but enjoyable performance (ideal for novice pilots)...

the following settings are a good starting point and the model will still loop and roll so wont be boring

Aileron 12.5mm up and down deflection
Elevator 8.5mm up and down deflection
rudder 12.5mm left and right deflection

check your centre of gravity... it should be 70mm from the leading edge

you can always increase the throws by moving the pushrods further out on the servo arms as required

sorry for the delay answering your question..

been a bit busy trying to get my Sunderland flying boat finished for March 1st

David
Thanks and WOW thats a plane found the compleet post about it i'm stunned.
verry verry impressive!!!!!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:30 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,032 Posts
Super work David. My scratch built foam models are now hiding in a dark corner of the garage, too ashamed to show their faces
Andy
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:10 PM
Joined Feb 2013
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
Super work David. My scratch built foam models are now hiding in a dark corner of the garage, too ashamed to show their faces
Andy
Lol mine refuses to hide.... I'm done building the plane only thing left to do is building in the rest of the electric parts. Need to solder the gold connectors to the esc and need to make a special connection for the battery. And need to install to controle horns in wing, rudder and elevator.
And then we wait for a day with good flying weather and some spare time
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:50 PM
United Kingdom, England, Aldershot
Joined Oct 2011
214 Posts
wot next on my list

Hi all,
Hope i,m not encroaching here or posting this message the wrong way, just haven,t worked out how you post individual post on rcgroups yet.
Anyway iv,e got the wot next on my to do list so much so that iv,e paused two other builds in favour of the wot next, even bought most of the bits and bobs for the build apart from carbon fiber rod.
just thought i,d make my appearance so to speak and can,t wait to get this wot next project off the ground, pardon the pun.
best regards to all of you and will post pics etc when i get it built, but be warned i build slow, more time spent thinking about building than building with me.
david
tegrina is offline Find More Posts by tegrina
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:58 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,032 Posts
Just as long as you get around to building the Funbat at some point! The Wot-Next would my recommended model before attempting to fly the Funbat anyway as it can be flown nice and gentle or like a holigan with maxed out throws. Guess which I prefer?
Andy
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:14 AM
Joined Jul 2011
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegrina View Post
Hi all,
Hope i,m not encroaching here or posting this message the wrong way, just haven,t worked out how you post individual post on rcgroups yet.
Anyway iv,e got the wot next on my to do list so much so that iv,e paused two other builds in favour of the wot next, even bought most of the bits and bobs for the build apart from carbon fiber rod.
just thought i,d make my appearance so to speak and can,t wait to get this wot next project off the ground, pardon the pun.
best regards to all of you and will post pics etc when i get it built, but be warned i build slow, more time spent thinking about building than building with me.
david
Tegrina

welcome to the wot next thread.. i look forward to seeing your completed model..

just build it as the build log at the begining of the thread and you wont go far wrong! if you get stuck or not sure about something don't be afraid to ask on here.. an answer will soon be winging its way back to you.

good luck with the wot next make sure you pop back and let us know how it goes

David
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:36 AM
Joined Feb 2013
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegrina View Post
Hi all,
david
Its true what the others say I started my WOT a week ago and all questions I had where answered almost instantly. Its so good to be a member here. My first plane I build without the help of RCgroups and now i'm stuck with a plane that won't fly. So build this WOT and when you have questions post them here and help is on the way i'm sure of that. Oh and watch the first page there are nice foto's of how to build. Good luck with youre build and please post some pictures
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:48 AM
United Kingdom, England, Aldershot
Joined Oct 2011
214 Posts
Hi ALL,
Saw your replies to my introduction, and many thanks, and yes i will be building as per build guide on first pages, i,m a believer in if it isn,t broken why fix it, or in other words why alter a proven design, top marks to how much i just know mine will fly fine as the design looks right and that principal has worked for me so far.
I actually built a polaris as a first build, and flew it for four flights but in my ignorance had the throws and rates on maximum and flipped it over on the 4th and last landing only 4 feet off the ground.
amazing i managed 4 flights but it did fly great at least and haven,t looked back.
am threatening to cut wings out today, i,ll try and make this build less than 6 months .
Oh one question, if i decided to put a kf 2 on top of the wing i presume i would put dowel on le of bottom wing and just taper le of kf to front edge of dowel.
my proposed setup will be

dys 1800kv motor
nanotech 1300mah 3s
30amp esc
8x3.8 slow fly prop as suggested by how much

safe landings everyone
tegrina aka dave
tegrina is offline Find More Posts by tegrina
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:29 AM
Nederland, Gelderland, Wijchen
Joined Jul 2010
47 Posts
Finally my Wot Next is ready for the maiden flight if the weather will clear up. I have been building the Wot Next to improve my flying skills because I have already build a depron Mini Funtana from Dreamcatcher (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1076559) and I have spend to much time in this one to destroy it at the first flight. So from reading the whole Wot Next thread it is/ can be a Wolf in sheep clothes so my skills will improve.

David thanks for "your" Wot Next.
proton999 is offline Find More Posts by proton999
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:38 AM
Joined Feb 2013
65 Posts
proton999 looks verry nice will fly for sure. I did maden mine to today it took off in about 2 meters and and was flying verry nice but not used to the controls made me crash it nose down first........So happy I did the tape thing at the end only damage I have is a broken prop. No spare prop so I orderd a whole bunch of them. Waiting for them to arrive for some more happy flying. I will not forget again pull back for up push forward for down thats what went wrong did push forward to get more altitude but the plane is oke and so is the motor no bent shaft.
To david I only can say THANKS for a nice plane that actualy does fly with minimal costs and maximal fun