SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 25, 2011, 05:17 PM
United Kingdom, England, Wigan
Joined Jul 2011
766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by potshot View Post
Let's really put the dark force to work and have the Baron lean forward out of the cockpit and measure the distance from the LE to the most forward part of the fuse. I like to draw stuff in CAD before cutting and this would help.

I must say I appreciate the whimsy, David.
that would be 5" no more nor less!

David
how much is online now Find More Posts by how much
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:05 AM
Out the Window
United States, FL, Alachua
Joined Jul 2004
1,294 Posts
I really like the Fokker version of your airplane. I have been a fan of the different Fokker design influences since the early Ugly Stick. I gues you could say it has been "Fokkered-Up", but that sounds negative and the results are positive! ;>)
High Flyin' is offline Find More Posts by High Flyin'
Old Oct 26, 2011, 04:02 PM
Joined Jul 2011
766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Flyin' View Post
I really like the Fokker version of your airplane. I have been a fan of the different Fokker design influences since the early Ugly Stick. I gues you could say it has been "Fokkered-Up", but that sounds negative and the results are positive! ;>)
High Flyin
you hit the nail right on the head! the Fokker version transforms the basic design into a completely different airplane.. and for the better too!
my design draws from years of experience with built up and sheet balsa models, and the origin for a lot of designs of the last 30+ years has been the "ugly stick" a model that has stood the test of time and influenced so many designers... just do it red with white squares and a few iron cross's

my model also draws from a couple of classic UK kits (derivatives of the stick)

just brought them all screaming upto date with depron construction and brushless motors and lipo's

david
Last edited by how much; Nov 10, 2012 at 03:45 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 07:14 PM
Bloomfield. Nebraska
Joined Jun 2009
58 Posts
WOW what a neat looking plane I am a bit partial to the looks of the wot-n-fokker. I have most of the parts cut out and am working on the servo shelf. Could you post where the servos are located ie X number of inches from f3 or something like that? Probably not all that critical if one does approximately like you show on the plans. Also what size of servos did you use? Thanks for any help and for posting the plans for this cool looking plane. I think this will be quite light and I am planning on using a blue wonder with 2s 1000mah battery

Voyager
VoyagerXll is offline Find More Posts by VoyagerXll
Old Oct 26, 2011, 08:38 PM
Joined Jul 2011
766 Posts
Voyager

great to hear someone is making one.. please post a photo when its done

servos.. i used cheap 9g servos for all 3 functions

look at the photo you will see the rudder servo is central in the tray and the rear edge of the hole for it in the tray is 2" forward of F3.

the elevator servo is offset to one side to clear the rudder linkage and servo and the rear edge of the hole for the elevator servo is 3.3/4" forward of F3.
the third hole forward of the elevator servo is to bring the servo and esc leads through to the receiver.

to be honest you could fit both servos side by side in the position of the elevator servo as this is the maximum forward position you can use in the tray

just remember to leave the forward area of the servo tray empty as the aileron servo and linkages will drop into that area on the underside of the wing

the only thing you will have to watch if using 2s lipo is that it is heavy enough to give the correct c of g. power wont be an issue as the finished model weighed 10 oz (without lipo)

David
Last edited by how much; Oct 26, 2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 09:02 PM
United States, MD, Williamsport
Joined Apr 2011
21 Posts
Great little trainer/sport plane. Loved the video. It seems to fly much better than the Techone trainer. Incredible how different it looks in Fokker trim too.

I will keep watching and hope someone makes a full pdf plan. My skills are lacking but I'd love to build this one to teach the grand kids.
crxess is offline Find More Posts by crxess
Old Oct 26, 2011, 09:12 PM
Joined Jul 2011
766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxess View Post
Great little trainer/sport plane. Loved the video. It seems to fly much better than the Techone trainer. Incredible how different it looks in Fokker trim too.

I will keep watching and hope someone makes a full pdf plan. My skills are lacking but I'd love to build this one to teach the grand kids.
crxess

thanks for the kind words why not have a go at making one? just look at the begining of the build thread again... all you need do is cut out a set of "rectangles" from a sheet of depron using a steel straight edge, a square, and a knife.
you then just trim each rectangle to shape as you go...

you will be amazed how quickly you end up with all the parts.
its worth the price of a sheet of depron to find out

David
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:16 PM
Bloomfield. Nebraska
Joined Jun 2009
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by how much View Post
Voyager

great to hear someone is making one.. please post a photo when its done

servos.. i used cheap 9g servos for all 3 functions

look at the photo you will see the rudder servo is central in the tray and the rear edge of the hole for it in the tray is 2" forward of F3.

the elevator servo is offset to one side to clear the rudder linkage and servo and the rear edge of the hole for the elevator servo is 3.3/4" forward of F3.
the third hole forward of the elevator servo is to bring the servo and esc leads through to the receiver.

to be honest you could fit both servos side by side in the position of the elevator servo as this is the maximum forward position you can use in the tray

just remember to leave the forward area of the servo tray empty as the aileron servo and linkages will drop into that area on the underside of the wing

the only thing you will have to watch if using 2s lipo is that it is heavy enough to give the correct c of g. power wont be an issue as the finished model weighed 10 oz (without lipo)

David
Thanks for the quick reply, that clears things up for me. If it will not balance with a 2s, I do have a cpl of 3s 1000mah lipos to use.
I am using Dollar store foam board and it is only 30 inches long. I reduced the plans by 30/34 or about 88% of your plans. I hope that does not create too much of a problem for me.
I have to get an order off soon for a bunch of servos, as I mine are all in use at the present time. 9 g servos from Hobby king are what I mainly use.

Thanks again
Voyager
VoyagerXll is offline Find More Posts by VoyagerXll
Old Oct 27, 2011, 09:09 AM
who put that tree there
Joined Jun 2010
808 Posts
great looking plane and such a simple build,,
ive builtup the fuse last nite,made some alterations to the wings and tail feathers,wont say what it is yet till ive fitted electrics in body..
but youll like it when finished..
dazza44 is offline Find More Posts by dazza44
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:10 PM
Joined Jul 2011
766 Posts
Dazza44

you have my undivided attention sir!

cant wait to see what yoou have done!

David
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:41 PM
who put that tree there
Joined Jun 2010
808 Posts
well all ready just motor to bolt on front and to figure out how im gonna do ailerons and a paint job and iron crosses..
dazza44 is offline Find More Posts by dazza44
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:57 PM
Joined Jul 2011
766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza44 View Post
well all ready just motor to bolt on front and to figure out how im gonna do ailerons and a paint job and iron crosses..
Dazza

that is outstanding!

yours is the first build photo posted.... woo hoo! and you have really gone for it with an excellent adaptation of this simple design

well done

David
Old Oct 27, 2011, 02:36 PM
United States, NC, Cajah's Mountain
Joined Oct 2006
199 Posts
Here's my Blu-WOT.

I didn't have foam board so I used FFF instead. I also made an airfoil wing for my WOT. Maidened this morning in 10-12 mph winds. Flew and handled well with no trim adjustments necessary.

Setup is a 2830-1100kv outrunner, 8x6 APC prop, 20 amp ESC, HiTec HS-55 servos. AUW with a 3S1000mAh battery is 15.4 oz.

She scoots right along and loops/rolls like a lovesick pidgeon.

Time to spruce her up with some tape and a spot or two of paint now that I know she can fly.

Thanks again for the design Dave.

Cheers,
Don
Don Bourdon is offline Find More Posts by Don Bourdon
Old Oct 27, 2011, 03:20 PM
Joined Jul 2011
766 Posts
Don
well done, this thread hasnt even been on a week and you have maidened your WOT...

glad you are pleased with the way it flew.. maiden in a 10-12 mph wind

just excellent!

David
Old Oct 27, 2011, 04:45 PM
Cheese eating monkey.
France, Bretagne, Rennes
Joined Jul 2011
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bourdon View Post
I also made an airfoil wing for my WOT.
I am a beginner. Out of interest, how did you shape the airfoil?

Thanks

Yannig
Panoramix is offline Find More Posts by Panoramix