brucey is offline Find More Posts by brucey
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:42 PM
Youtube Johnbrum26
Mckinney,TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmerly View Post
Just use a regular prop. Prefer APC E props, they're cheap and work well, and are thin so they will break on a bad landing, instead of damaging your motor/shaft/mount. Folding props are just unnecessary and expensive.
thanks
Killab is offline Find More Posts by Killab
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:11 AM
Rookie
Australia, VIC
Joined Jun 2011
1,536 Posts
Hey guys

I am just getting my parts list together of what I want to get with my Zephyr II
Will be ordering the kit directly from Chris, wing, pushrods, laminate
Wanting to get the TBS GoPro mount, I like the balsa design

Was wondering if anyone is running one of these and what their thoughts are?
Are you using the layer-lens as well, worth getting or is it fine without it?

I think I'm good with everything else for now!

Thanks guys
planex is offline Find More Posts by planex
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:37 AM
Aerial DP
United States, CA, Lakeside
Joined Apr 2010
912 Posts
It's not balsa, it's plywood

If you don't run a layer lens, you'll be replacing the real one sooner or later. Just landing dings em up
Kloner is offline Find More Posts by Kloner
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:01 PM
never mind the boll⁣⁣⁣ocks
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2010
1,256 Posts
i prefer running the full gopro case, i have had the one original hero HD for a year and a half and have hit dirt, rocks, bricks, sticks, trees, and even a dive in the ocean or 2 and it still looks and runs like the day it came out of the box.

anyone who runs the gopro out of its case it putting its life on the line every flight, even with the layer lens it is mostly open to water damage.
brosius85 is offline Find More Posts by brosius85
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:28 PM
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined May 2012
849 Posts
Do the Gopro with case mod, it is easy and will save you tons of heartache. The gopro will be broken if you fly it outside of it's case on your Zii. You don't need to crash to damage the lens.
Hmerly is online now Find More Posts by Hmerly
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:16 AM
Youtube Johnbrum26
Mckinney,TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,013 Posts
For those that Bungee launch their wing could you share a pic of were you put your hook.
Thanks
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:56 AM
Aerial DP
Joined Apr 2010
912 Posts
all my cams are naked and layer lenses, survived more than a dunkin with no ill affects. the only time i had problems was i didn't have a leash and a rough landing would eject the cam and usually scratch the lens, It's $20 for a pair of replacements

the loose looking velcro is glued to the cam box and sandwiched in the layer lens without tension so it doesn't transfer jellomakes great film.

Chris has a new chloroplast case that has an interchangeble forward, back or down fitting

2:30
ZII @ daves (6 min 36 sec)
Last edited by Kloner; Feb 17, 2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:17 AM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killab View Post
For those that Bungee launch their wing could you share a pic of were you put your hook.
Thanks
Here are a couple of pictures of my hook location. Just ignore the foam "nose" in front of the skids. That is an experiment in progress.

The "hook" is about 5 3/4" forward of the CG which is the black line.

The hook is made from 2mm wire. It penetrates the body up into the wooden floor of my battery box. That is about 3 1/4" forward of the CG. The distance between these penetrations and the front of the "hook' is about 2 1/2". The total of those two measurements is the 5 3/4" mentioned above.

The hook is glued at the penetrations as well as taped to the bottom of the body. I felt that this configuration would spread out the force of the bungee pulling on the body as compared to having only a single penetration.

Hope that helps you.

Vince
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Last edited by Eagle202; Feb 17, 2013 at 09:18 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:43 AM
Youtube Johnbrum26
Mckinney,TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,013 Posts
Thanks that helps a ton, do you have it loaded with gear? Just wondering what the tension should be, my loaded stryker I pull to about 10 lbs
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:47 AM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killab View Post
Thanks that helps a ton, do you have it loaded with gear? Just wondering what the tension should be, my loaded stryker I pull to about 10 lbs
I do not have any FPV gear in it yet. I use either 2 x 3000mah or 2 x 3300mah batteries. Total weight is about 4.5 lbs.

The tension on the bungee is about 18 lbs but I can go up to 20. I have been told that the tension should be 4 to 5 times the weight of the plane which is where I am.

As long as the bungee gets it airborne, past the ramp and level your motor should then be used to keep it faster than stall speed.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:24 AM
never mind the boll⁣⁣⁣ocks
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2010
1,256 Posts
all respect kloner but that is not a way to endorse your mount!! that was a catastrophic failure! you got through on the skin of your teeth!!!
brosius85 is offline Find More Posts by brosius85
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:12 PM
Aerial DP
Joined Apr 2010
912 Posts
i'm not sure if i explained it well, but the clip was pre "leash" and let the cam eject. that's the only problem i ever had running it out of it's case......... the picture above it shows the leash. It made it so i quit having to replace the glass lenses from ejecting. i've got like 8 clips but there hard to find now of crazy crashes, mostly failed launches that show the camera fly across the ground at extremely high speeds. it never went away and kept on filming.

That plane with that mount has sold enough footage from to buy a dozen zii....... it works even when your out on the job and the prop is going away. films in 2k cin extremely clean from hero3

I'd question if the cam was on a rod mount between the skids in it's case if the cam would have done any better. i know for a fact at least 2 jobs that i lost the prop tip on would have screwed up the footage from the day not mounted on ear plugs
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:17 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,507 Posts
Camera strapped to my ZII just flying it LOS. I think it turned out ok for the very first time I have ever flown a camera on a plane.

Ritewing ZII with GoPro (4 min 34 sec)
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance