The footage of my maiden and the collision with the tree:
Zephyr II meets tree (3 min 25 sec)

The collision happens at 3:08
bakon is offline Find More Posts by bakon
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:44 PM
I Toast Planes
Joined Jul 2010
946 Posts
Well I was able to repair the Z quite nicely. Only thing noticeable is a slight dent but that shouldn't have too much of an effect on the flight characteristics. I added to carbon spars underneath the battery bay to help prevent any possible separation of the two halves as well as it provides a tad bit more of rigidity.
bakon is offline Find More Posts by bakon
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:13 PM
Youtube Johnbrum26
Mckinney,TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,013 Posts
Hello all, I am looking to get a ZII and would like to see what additional equipment is needed to get this int he air. Meaning whats the best combo esc/motor. Also what servos are recommended. Ive read some on this thread, but there is alot to read through.

Thanks for your time to answer a newb question. Ive been flying a stryker f27q fpv so not new to wings, and been fpving for about a year, but ready to start pushing my limits alittle.
Plane to run 4s 3300 mah bat and loaded with fpv gear gopro, fpv cam, ezosd, vtx and probably Op Revo or CC3D controller. So just getting some ideas of what i will need to get. bday is coming up.
Killab is offline Find More Posts by Killab
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:14 AM
SPG
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2010
188 Posts
Can't go wrong with the Ritewing supplied motor, esc and servos. Proven quality and customer support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killab View Post
Hello all, I am looking to get a ZII and would like to see what additional equipment is needed to get this int he air. Meaning whats the best combo esc/motor. Also what servos are recommended. Ive read some on this thread, but there is alot to read through.

Thanks for your time to answer a newb question. Ive been flying a stryker f27q fpv so not new to wings, and been fpving for about a year, but ready to start pushing my limits alittle.
Plane to run 4s 3300 mah bat and loaded with fpv gear gopro, fpv cam, ezosd, vtx and probably Op Revo or CC3D controller. So just getting some ideas of what i will need to get. bday is coming up.
SPG is offline Find More Posts by SPG
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:37 AM
Joined Dec 2012
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by klique View Post
A new big little Monster .

Here is the Ritewing ZII molded in Magic foam.
The Zeph has been a work in progress for a few years, it has never been avail as a buy it now off my website.

I have gone through extensive design tweaks over the last few years and look what has happened.

The new one builds out with lam only and needs no weave with 90.
It can be built an easy 8 to 10 oz lighter than the EPP version,it has the wing area of the 60" EPP version in a 56'' wingspan.
The wing area of the 54'' EPP Zeph is appx 700 SQ inches and this one new version comes in at 770 SQ in.

The lighter type foam ,the extra wing area and slightly new build style will really help its lower speed capabilities and easier launch and landing issues while still maintaining the original Zephs handling.

I built both of these wings in the attached pix on and off over a 3 day period.

I am thinking since its my birthday tomorrow Oct 21 I mite start a pre sale here .

I spent some time in the factory today and they are looking great,woo hoo!!! MADE IN THE USA!!!!!

Here is a few pix and a vid of the maidn test flight to show you the Zephs proven stability that's been passed on to the ZII .

I figure even though the vid is not fpv I wouldn't be flying any other plane 1 ft from my face while shooting vid with my throttle hand, its a true testament of tracking and stability.

The Cam box and skids are all in the works to get these items cnc laser cut and avail.
The nose comes designed for this thickness of the blunt , these can be cut in and placed by the builder.
The nose comes blunt with no cam box cut out.

I have listened to you guys allot over the last few years and really tried to incorporate allot of ideas while not going overboard with it being to exacting.
This will allow for allot of newer gear and room to mod and grow with technology.

Hope you guys like it ,I dont have my Super Duty anymore, ,lol lots of love lots of passion and way too much money has been spent to bring this to you.

The Foam is not EPP , its called EPOR and is slightly less duarble, is alot like easystar type epo foam , it builds way faster its substancially easier , it requires no weave.
The lam film is awesome on this foam and goes down like glass.
My build came out 10 oz lighter than most zephs do.

New Rite wing outrunner motor and esc combo info.

They are appx 150 gram 1300 kv outrunner, I would say just about dead on eqiv in size to the a 30 1185 kv hacker.
My esc is a nice 60 amp ritewing generic that has been found to be just about bullet proof so far.
I am also programming the esc's timing and break before they go out, and I am also making custom thrust bushing for the pusher aplication, this will help the strain on the c clip of the motor.

So if you want a proven setup thats basicly setup to go , then this mite be good for you.
Whats nice is it will do 3s or 4 dep on your prop choice.

I mite also bring in some 1000 kv and 1100 kv for some tesing on 5s setups for super efficiency.

Here is a vid of the 1300 kv outrunner on 3s and 10/5 prop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg8uiXbnsLg

Now I can drop some prices for you in return for all the loyal support.

Base price is appx about 130.00 $

And sales can happen at any time,lol

Maidn flight vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UES3uqPP18o

It will be added to ritewingrc.com tomorow

Email me at ritewing@hotmail.com if you need more info

Hey guys we have had a few issues with the ESC' s because alot of people dont understand that onces you go 4s you need a seperate bec or reciver power.
In most ESC's the output is about 3 amps when the esc is running on 3s input power .

The issue is once you feed the esc with 4s its bec has to work double hard to lower the voltage ,this also drops it amp supply capabilties down .
When this happens it creates alot of heat,with our big servos and newer RX's its over amping the bec's capabilities.

This can cause the BEC to fail and short then over volt your servos RX and even take out the motor and esc if it fails in a drastic way.
And or melt down the entire plane.
I always suggest using a seperate BEC with a higher volt input and higher amp output put than the ones that come in the esc.

We are flying expensive fast planes here so dont loose your plane due to non proper setups.

A 3 amp stock ESC BEC used on full sized servos is asking for problems, and using it on 4s is just about ensuring them.

We have had two issues due to this and we need to help all that dont know and dont have the experiance with 4s and up.
I have seen one esc meltdown in the plane , and one burn and take out the motor esc and one servo.
Please use quality connectors and methods , know your amp draw and vent those esc's please.

Here is the castle diagram on disableing a BEC thats in the esc and running a seperate BEC system.
http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...ro_wiring.html
What is the covering on the black film? it looks really good but I have never seen it on the market.
alwaysconfused is offline Find More Posts by alwaysconfused
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:33 AM
Youtube Johnbrum26
Mckinney,TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
Can't go wrong with the Ritewing supplied motor, esc and servos. Proven quality and customer support.
cool thanks, that was my thoughts, but have seen some people running OS i think it was. so wasn't sure.

thanks
Killab is offline Find More Posts by Killab
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:45 PM
Great Britain
Joined Dec 2008
1,755 Posts
i run the 1200kv os with a 10x5 apc and a 60amp plush, it power on launches right from my hand and can cruise as low as 5amps, wot is about 50amps on 4s

Slow cruise with Zephyr 2 - 6amps (2 min 30 sec)

How to launch a Zephyr 2 solo! (0 min 15 sec)
MrBen. is offline Find More Posts by MrBen.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:50 PM
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined May 2012
849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysconfused View Post
What is the covering on the black film? it looks really good but I have never seen it on the market.
It is carbon vinyl. You can buy it on eBay. It goes over your laminated wing. All it does is add weight, but it does look really nice. Will tear off as well on the bottom. Not really recommended.
Hmerly is offline Find More Posts by Hmerly
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:48 PM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,494 Posts
Guys, if your going to put CF , fiberglass or even CF wraped wooden braces in your wings , try to put then so they work vertically too.The battery box is not weak horizontally.
It is vertically, what breaks in a crash.

That is why I put CF wrapped verticall plates in the front and rear of the battery box.
DoctorAudio is offline Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:27 PM
FPV Pilot
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2007
2,532 Posts
anybody here using DragonOSD and FY30?
blueprint is online now Find More Posts by blueprint
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:00 AM
Aerial DP
United States, CA, Lakeside
Joined Apr 2010