HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:53 PM
I Toast Planes
Joined Jul 2010
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S0YL3NT View Post
the pics...
Very nice. What did you use for the silver topside?
bakon is offline Find More Posts by bakon
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:21 AM
United States, CO
Joined Oct 2012
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott000 View Post
Last question then Ill walk away happy lol. Sloyvent where do u get the air cowls... I cut a plastic spoon on my first but the second zeph has to look better lol
I ordered these for $4 from here:
http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...roducts_id=278

I used the largest naca scoop on the sheet. i also used a different cutout over the servo arm from the same sheet. ive learned a lot from this thread so if theres any questions i can answer im glad to do it.

@bakon It is chrome monokote from here:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHV27&P=7
S0YL3NT is offline Find More Posts by S0YL3NT
Last edited by S0YL3NT; Dec 04, 2012 at 02:51 AM. Reason: bad link
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:15 AM
Switzerland, VS, Oberems
Joined Apr 2010
526 Posts
can i ask you how you apply this monokote?
it comes directly over the laminate?
w4Rd3n is online now Find More Posts by w4Rd3n
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:02 PM
Religion= suffering/wars
Joined Jan 2006
280 Posts
I use a 12x6.5 on a 3s set up. I also have a small pod underneath to hold on to for launching.

Quote:
Hi, here are some pics of my finished Z2. Maiden flight was great, first throw and it was off pretty smooth. After landing and changing batteries the next two attempts failed and I had to go home with broken props. First launch had 11x5.5 APC prop and a bit of a headwind. Next attempt, no headwind and same prop. Then last attempt no headwind again and a 10x5 prop. I thew the Z2 and had a friend who is a better test pilot on the sticks since I wasnt sure I could do both at once. I attached a vid of my launch attempts in case anyone can see what I did wrong. I thought I had picked a high thrust option for 5400ft ASL and a 3s setup with stock ritewing motor and esc. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

http://youtu.be/UmrZoqpabxk

finished build pics on the way have to edit file size...
deTonaTor_NZ is offline Find More Posts by deTonaTor_NZ
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:15 PM
United States, CO
Joined Oct 2012
13 Posts
I used what ppl are calling the windex method. here are a couple links that explain it best:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_60...ey_flag/tm.htm

http://www.modelaircraft.org/insider/08_05/covering.htm

i found it to work best on the flat areas of the wing. i used a wad of paper towels instead of a credit card because the Z2 lam had some texture to it and wasnt completely flat. the windex wouldnt hold the monokote on the curved areas like the leading edge or towards the battery bays so i taped it in place and let the windex dry 24hrs. then i used low heat to stick the monokote down over the curved areas. after i used heat on any area that didnt look stuck down well i overlapped all the edges of the monokote with another material. even though the monokote was laid down flat and smooth over the lam it would peel up easily. i put 3m packing tape over the leading edge that covered the edge of the monokote, near the battery bay i overlapped with the vinyl, the trailing egde was overlapped with 3m tape that holds the elevon and the wingtips were overlapped with Goop that holds the winglets on.

it was hard and in my opinion the windex method probably works best for smaller pieces of monokote on flat surfaces. it i was to try it again i think i would spray locktite 200 on top of hte lam then stick the monokote to that. it would still be hard to avoid bubble between the lam and monokote tho
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:19 PM
Aerial DP
United States, CA, Lakeside
Joined Apr 2010
912 Posts
you can poke a hole like an xacto knife kinda hole and get out bigger bubbles. if it get's a bunch of little ones, just fly it.
Kloner is online now Find More Posts by Kloner
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:22 PM
United States, CO
Joined Oct 2012
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deTonaTor_NZ View Post
I use a 12x6.5 on a 3s set up. I also have a small pod underneath to hold on to for launching.
did u have to cut out more room for the 12" prop? i ordered some 11x7 props that should arrive today. hoping to try them out tomorrow. i was thinking of putting some non-slip stickers like you use in a bathtub, right where i grab onto the Z2 to give a better grip for launching it lol
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:29 PM
United States, CO
Joined Oct 2012
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloner View Post
you can poke a hole like an xacto knife kinda hole and get out bigger bubbles. if it get's a bunch of little ones, just fly it.
yep thats what i did. i have tons of little bubbles still but from 3 ft away they are not noticeable. i had never used monokote this way and when i tried it on an elevon it looked like crap so i tried to look up what i did wrong and came across the windex method
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:15 PM
Switzerland, VS, Oberems
Joined Apr 2010
526 Posts
Quote:
I used what ppl are calling the windex method. here are a couple links that explain it best:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_60...ey_flag/tm.htm

http://www.modelaircraft.org/insider/08_05/covering.htm

i found it to work best on the flat areas of the wing. i used a wad of paper towels instead of a credit card because the Z2 lam had some texture to it and wasnt completely flat. the windex wouldnt hold the monokote on the curved areas like the leading edge or towards the battery bays so i taped it in place and let the windex dry 24hrs. then i used low heat to stick the monokote down over the curved areas. after i used heat on any area that didnt look stuck down well i overlapped all the edges of the monokote with another material. even though the monokote was laid down flat and smooth over the lam it would peel up easily. i put 3m packing tape over the leading edge that covered the edge of the monokote, near the battery bay i overlapped with the vinyl, the trailing egde was overlapped with 3m tape that holds the elevon and the wingtips were overlapped with Goop that holds the winglets on.

it was hard and in my opinion the windex method probably works best for smaller pieces of monokote on flat surfaces. it i was to try it again i think i would spray locktite 200 on top of hte lam then stick the monokote to that. it would still be hard to avoid bubble between the lam and monokote tho
thanks for sharing.. sounds like a lot of work
but it looks awesome
w4Rd3n is online now Find More Posts by w4Rd3n
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:20 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BldrFlyr View Post
Very nice video and flying expertise. That rock formation is clearly a place to surf with the ZII.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:41 PM
I'd FPV it.
United States, GA, Winder
Joined Nov 2009
2,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Very nice video and flying expertise. That rock formation is clearly a place to surf with the ZII.
+1. Nice job climbing toward the face too! Cool vid.
Ho-Jazz is online now Find More Posts by Ho-Jazz
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:34 PM
Tricopters Rule
United States, NC, Goldsboro
Joined Mar 2012
534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deTonaTor_NZ View Post
Setup a launch mix n your radio to apply a bit of elevator till it gets airborne, I put one on a switch that way you don't have to fiddle with sticks.
I also dont throw it as such, more guide it away, if you throw and grab you pull it down again if you don't release early
10x6 foldr works for me on 3s although with no wind it must be full throttle and up elevator until it pick up speed.
Panzlflyer is offline Find More Posts by Panzlflyer
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:08 AM
Religion= suffering/wars
Joined Jan 2006
280 Posts
Here's my throwing pod, and prop clearance.

Quote:
did u have to cut out more room for the 12" prop? i ordered some 11x7 props that should arrive today. hoping to try them out tomorrow. i was thinking of putting some non-slip stickers like you use in a bathtub, right where i grab onto the Z2 to give a better grip for launching it lol
deTonaTor_NZ is offline Find More Posts by deTonaTor_NZ
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:09 PM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,494 Posts
Yo, there guys , I just got some great info. The Mini-Z's motor mounts are done!
You may see the Mini-Z for sale in the next week!
DoctorAudio is online now Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:48 PM
Aerial DP
United States, CA, Lakeside
Joined Apr 2010
912 Posts
can't wait to try out his combos on them airframes.

I've been down for a bit but getting back to building. my house is getting eaten up in ZII's and ZXL's. anybody got a really good way of storing a grip of these things, like 5 of em that doesn't eat up a bunch of space? In typing it i thought somehting like surfboards are stored might be a good direction? I've got all this inside my house so it's gotta be like furniture or close to it.....
Kloner is online now Find More Posts by Kloner