Kloner is offline Find More Posts by Kloner
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:32 AM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2011
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloner View Post
Man, i had a heck of a day yesterday. Was at the San Diego 1st annual fpv meet in Carlsbad. Had a bunch of models flying and was switching through em. I forgot to switch from a quad to the zeph and i have no idea how, but it flew, thank god. the first shot is it leaving my hands. So i got it trimmed out finally and flew with no expo, got a mile out over the pacific ocean when something got turned on around me and just shut down my video feed. yea, mile out over the pacific. At the time i wasn't sure what was up and had my spotter switch antennas, didn't really help anything but every once in a while i got a screen shot of the flight and kept adjusting. I could've hit rth, but it's setup end never tested so i wanted to see if we could get it back. pretty soon we noticed it flying right at us. That's one problem with the wing is she sure is hard to see, like a stealth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImP5IEsLd5Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKIt7jZ95Qs

I didn't figure it out till the next flight on a quad, couldn't get the motors to start, the trims were all over the place, then i was like, WOW. Good thing i use ppm on everything, it all is setup the same ch with the same knobs for gains, osd and such. Almost donated one to china
Oh Man, I cant believe you got her back, thats awesome. Looks like you got pretty close to the water there in one of those shots. Im still new to FPV and maybe a bit paranoid but I swear by my Ruby autopilot. Its perfect for just this kind of situation. For $350.00 its a relativly cheap insurance policy for a wing loaded up with gear and hours of build time. It uses the ppm input as well so adding it is a breeze
ronrob61 is offline Find More Posts by ronrob61
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:33 AM
Money Shot
United States, CA, Lakeside
Joined Apr 2010
903 Posts
this has osd pro so it had rth, but i'd never tried it. the way it has the et pro and is linked ppm is why it worked setup for a naza on ppm. Crazy days,,,, were heading back, little further up the beach on Camp Pendleton soon. more flights out over the pacific, hopefuly a little more under control. it was hot, there was people everywhere wanting to know this, that and the other. Super rf unfriendly spot.... i bet 20,000 cars went by during the day, everyone of em with a cell phone in each pocket, probably alot of built in wifi, hotel behind us with a huge rf coming out of one spot for all frequncys... it was brutal. That road to the left is highway 101, it was packed all day, joggers joggers behind us all day

this is quad and zII
1st fpv meet @ Daves Beach (3 min 34 sec)
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:01 AM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2012
652 Posts
nice kloner
elliott000 is online now Find More Posts by elliott000
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:00 PM
WOT happened?
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2011
196 Posts
My latest zephyr build is done! Maiden this weekend!

chicken sashimi is offline Find More Posts by chicken sashimi
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:20 AM
SPG
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2010
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloner View Post
this has osd pro so it had rth, but i'd never tried it. the way it has the et pro and is linked ppm is why it worked setup for a naza on ppm. Crazy days,..........
Very nice. Where\how did you land the ZII?
SPG is offline Find More Posts by SPG
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:01 AM
Money Shot
Joined Apr 2010
903 Posts
on the runway,,, after flying over a cop.... of course

1st fpv meet @ Daves Beach zII full flight (14 min 39 sec)

Daves Beach zII live feed (13 min 16 sec)

play em together
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:05 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Mar 2012
453 Posts
ZII low and high (2 min 54 sec)
carlocivicsi is offline Find More Posts by carlocivicsi
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:00 AM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,864 Posts
Sooooo,

Is the z2 a good starter fpv plane? I've been messing around with my radian and pro putting a key chain camera on them. I haven't went full fpv yet but I have a tricopter kit that I've been meaning to build over the last three months in order to put my go pro on it.

I live out in the country.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:36 AM
Joined Jun 2011
461 Posts
Do people recommend trimming the balsa control surfaces? I have seen pictures of people taking chunks out (above) or tapering them...

thoughts?
mklinker is offline Find More Posts by mklinker
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:22 PM
Money Shot
Joined Apr 2010
903 Posts
look how close the highway was to the runway between the cones. nerve rackin spot i'm tellin ya.

see ya

think that's the boat it flew over under it there leaving the cliff
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:11 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,767 Posts
We trim them because it makes the plane fly better ,there is no need for a ton of inboard elevator, if you leave them full length it makes it fly qwerky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mklinker View Post
Do people recommend trimming the balsa control surfaces? I have seen pictures of people taking chunks out (above) or tapering them...

thoughts?
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:29 PM
Latvija, Ventspils
Joined Apr 2011
117 Posts
Today was great, and no so for my zephyr, at first I reached 3km above, great

3km with zephyr II (0 min 20 sec)

After noticing what a great view is above, grab second batteries, attached GoPro and goes for fun fly, great.

Surfing clouds in the sunset. (4 min 0 sec)

I was so excited from this flight, that made totally stupid landing, not so great Camera cage destroyed, layerlens too, hopefully, GoPro survived.

Zephyr II stupid landing :) (0 min 12 sec)
Vilniz is offline Find More Posts by Vilniz
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:43 PM
Joined Nov 2010
108 Posts
Hey Klique (Chris),

I read in another post you made that you said that like to use the RUBY device and have it working well for the zephyr with return to home and assisted take off ect..

I use the Eagletree System It can stabilize on take off but doesn't have an assisted take off function per say.

I am interested in the RUBY for a possible future Zephyr. Have you used the eagltree stabilization/return to home system in a zeph?

Do you find the RUBY to be much better?

I'm really curious as to how the RUBY does an "assisted take off" how does that work?

The eagletree doesn't have that but I could stabilize it and trim it to climb on take off when I throw it.

Thanks for the help!!

Adam
whosthebaddest is offline Find More Posts by whosthebaddest
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:50 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,767 Posts
Hey Adam shoot Ron Rob a message , he is working directly with Jim from Uthere.
We have been using it alot , it is baddazz, I will alo shoot Ron a message to show this thread?
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique