Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:45 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,163 Posts
I am all built up and ready to install electronics before covering.

I was curious where most of you all are mounting your video Tx? Is the unit installed in the wingtip, or are you installing it within the electronics bay and running the antenna out to the wingtip?
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:01 PM
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined May 2012
673 Posts
Pretty much half way to the wing tip, and then run the antenna to the very tip. Try to keep as much separation between your vtx and rx as possible.
Hmerly is offline Find More Posts by Hmerly
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:10 PM
Money Shot
United States, CA, Lakeside
Joined Apr 2010
903 Posts
what he said..... i forget who, but somewhere back when i got mine there was a post, think scottu and it had one all laid out and they all seemed to agree it was the best options, i took lead but theres was immersion, mine is eagle tree, but none the less, spread out. nosy stuff like regulators, current sensors, esc's and servos towards the middle and everything else seperated video and rc off to the sides. I went 18,000 feet yesterday 20 feet up and the rssi and video link never waivered laid out like this..... This weekend i'm shooting for the moon

it's got 99 problems, but interferrence aint one of em.
Kloner is offline Find More Posts by Kloner
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:36 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,163 Posts
Ha! Thanks guys! Those pics are just what I needed- time to hack away...

Do any of you all have any tips for cutting out the area for the camera box? Or just hack away?

Thanks for all the guidance!
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:39 PM
Money Shot
Joined Apr 2010
903 Posts
solder iron with a big flat piece of wire,,,,,,, if you haven't seen riscyd's video on assembly, check out the way he cuts this stuff. mines all like that. iron drug along a yard stick so it's nice straight, shallow pockets for wire, parts, etc.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:44 PM
Switzerland, VS, Oberems
Joined Apr 2010
525 Posts
hi guys. it's me again.
please have a look at this clip:
flutter (0 min 59 sec)

do anyone of you also notice such short vibration. if my z2 would only wag or wobble okay. i can live with that. but this vibration is just annoying.
i can show you other videos of me. always the same.

what can this be?
servo play? i use ritewing servos.
CG wrong?
i don't use a folding prop. regular 9x6 apc
winglets?

i try to fix this since weeks now but no luck so far

also here at 2:15
Leukerbad (2 min 51 sec)
w4Rd3n is online now Find More Posts by w4Rd3n
Last edited by w4Rd3n; Sep 24, 2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:55 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,767 Posts
You are getting some slight freedom flutter from the higher speed dives, try covering the wing bottom with 5 mil film, then set your CG forward 8 to 10 more mm, this will help stablize it with some more reflex.
I see where it starts, its when you hit high speed and possibly bumpy thermal coming up the slope.
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:14 PM
Switzerland, VS, Oberems
Joined Apr 2010
525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by klique View Post
You are getting some slight freedom flutter from the higher speed dives, try covering the wing bottom with 5 mil film, then set your CG forward 8 to 10 more mm, this will help stablize it with some more reflex.
I see where it starts, its when you hit high speed and possibly bumpy thermal coming up the slope.
Thank you!
what about the mechanical play of the servos ? maybe servos without this( BLS) would help?
Last edited by w4Rd3n; Sep 24, 2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:31 PM
Money Shot
Joined Apr 2010
903 Posts
bitchen mountains to fly,,, is that part of the alps?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:01 PM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,393 Posts
Wait a damm min!
What about the camera?
why have we over looked this? the camera is in the front and the air could be bouncing the GoPro around in the front.
Now this makes more since than anything else!
w4Rd3n , do you have a wing camera?
If so put the wing camera like on the middle of the wing and lets see if the wing is bouncing around or the gopro only!
You could point the camera at the gopro!
DoctorAudio is offline Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:23 AM
Switzerland, VS, Oberems
Joined Apr 2010
525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorAudio View Post
Wait a damm min!
What about the camera?
why have we over looked this? the camera is in the front and the air could be bouncing the GoPro around in the front.
Now this makes more since than anything else!
w4Rd3n , do you have a wing camera?
If so put the wing camera like on the middle of the wing and lets see if the wing is bouncing around or the gopro only!
You could point the camera at the gopro!
ill look to get a wing camera. but the gopro is fixed very well. i ll also look to get some thicker laminate. .thanks so far.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:25 AM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,393 Posts
I got one looking for another to point inward, to see just what is going on!
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:04 AM
Money Shot
Joined Apr 2010
903 Posts
them 808#16 with the wide angle lens might be a good choice for snoopin, easy and small to mount, super clear these days

Mine is buffeting like his, but i got something different i think cause it never went over 60, never really dove, wasn't any wind.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:55 PM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,393 Posts
I am about to mount a Gopro on front and wingcamera on the center section point to the right wing tip. I won't make it our today, but tomorrow for sure.
Then I will hook up with my buddy that is having issues!
See if we see anything different!
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:47 PM
Joined Jun 2011
461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w4Rd3n View Post
hi guys. it's me again.

do anyone of you also notice such short vibration. if my z2 would only wag or wobble okay. i can live with that. but this vibration is just annoying.
i can show you other videos of me. always the same.

what can this be?
servo play? i use ritewing servos.
CG wrong?
i don't use a folding prop. regular 9x6 apc
winglets?

i try to fix this since weeks now but no luck so far
I assume that you have gotten all possible slop out of the control linkages. The servos probably have a tiny bit of slop, but the only way to get ride of that is to get better servos...

with the high speed that you are doing, it is possible that the outer sections of the control surfaces are fluttering while the inner sections are remaining straight due to the controls flexing around their long axis... take a ruler, hold one end tight then twist the other side. You could tension the outer part of the control surfaces up by putting another control horn on attaching a rubber band so it is always being gently pulled up.

Aerodynamically do you have components mounted on the top or bottom of the wing out in front of the control surface? if so, that may be leaving a 'wake' where the boundary layer is disturbed, which could put some weird pressure differentials on the control surface.

This is a real long shot, but it COULD be that the boundary layer on the wing is starting to transition from laminar to turbulent near the trailing edge, which would be your control surface. The stars would have to align for this to be true, because the Reynolds number would have to increase enough for the boundary layer to transition to occur, and I am not sure if you are going fast enough (+100mph??). We just did a homework problem on this and I remember in our situation the transition around 1ft back from the leading edge.

Can you figure out on your OSD what speed you are going when the flutter starts?
mklinker is offline Find More Posts by mklinker