HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:56 AM
never mind the boll⁣⁣⁣ocks
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2010
1,256 Posts
futaba 9c

it's all you need, and it is what the EzUHF was desgned for. simple.
brosius85 is offline Find More Posts by brosius85
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:07 AM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2011
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j j View Post
what do you think the best advance controller is for the zephry 2
With doing so many builds I get to mess with a alot of different controllers. If your going to go UHF then a controller with a module in the back is great and easy for tapping your uhf system into. As far as performance I have noticed differences in latency.

JR 9303
Hitec Eclipse 6, Eclipse 7 and Aurora 9
all work great.
If your looking for ease of programming the Aurora 9 is simple.

I have noticed a huge lack of response from Spektrum radios.
DX5 and DX6 so far have proven to be slow. Its actually surprising how noticable it is, even just sitting there on the bench you can move the gimble and easily get ahead of what your aielerons are doing.
I have 2 DX7s here now and havent had the chance to bind them up yet and see if there is an improvement over the dx5 and dx6

no expereiance yet with Futaba but the guys here seem to love them as well.
ronrob61 is offline Find More Posts by ronrob61
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:35 PM
Joined Jun 2011
396 Posts
Im curious if anyone has tried to implement some sort of yaw control with the Zephyr... I usually fly in windy conditions and I am hesitant to get a plane that doesn't have any yaw control.

I was thinking either thrust vectoring or a small rudder right infront of the motor?

I am not trying to go make a complicated system with duckerons (not sure what the technical term for them is).

Thoughts?
mklinker is offline Find More Posts by mklinker
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:08 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,757 Posts
It has no tail moment , it will not work, the ZII is much more stable in wind than most planes that have ruders ,if if you had somthing thats functional, your reaction time would never be fast enough to counter it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mklinker View Post
Im curious if anyone has tried to implement some sort of yaw control with the Zephyr... I usually fly in windy conditions and I am hesitant to get a plane that doesn't have any yaw control.

I was thinking either thrust vectoring or a small rudder right infront of the motor?

I am not trying to go make a complicated system with duckerons (not sure what the technical term for them is).

Thoughts?
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:25 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
13,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mklinker View Post

Thoughts?
Fly it as it was designed; I doubt you will fee strongly about modifying it after you fly.

I have flown a ton of wings though, and I find wind has far less on an affect on a wing. A wing slices through wind far better than a traditional plane.
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Racing anyone?
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:11 PM
Tricopters Rule
United States, NC, Goldsboro
Joined Mar 2012
492 Posts
Maidened my Zeph today, was a bit hesitant as Ive just been told I had 2 ruptured discs.
Hand launch was a non event as she wanted to fly,tossed her up the "Frisbee way'
Took a little while to dial her in but pleased with the 1st flight.
3s setup, Align 610 servos, Hobbywing 80a esc, Ntm 3542 1250 kv,had all the fpv gear on but not running until I get her dialed in. .
Ive got a Ritewing motor combo for the other Zeph sitting here stilll in a box, gonna build that now Ive done the test one.
Im having issues with the prop stops/yoke that are 8mm but the motor shaft is 5mm any pointers?
Anyway here a boring video from the 1st flight.
Ritewing Zephyr2 (4 min 36 sec)
Panzlflyer is offline Find More Posts by Panzlflyer
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:03 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzlflyer View Post
Maidened my Zeph today, was a bit hesitant as Ive just been told I had 2 ruptured discs.
Hand launch was a non event as she wanted to fly,tossed her up the "Frisbee way'
Took a little while to dial her in but pleased with the 1st flight.
3s setup, Align 610 servos, Hobbywing 80a esc, Ntm 3542 1250 kv,had all the fpv gear on but not running until I get her dialed in. .
Ive got a Ritewing motor combo for the other Zeph sitting here stilll in a box, gonna build that now Ive done the test one.
Im having issues with the prop stops/yoke that are 8mm but the motor shaft is 5mm any pointers?
Anyway here a boring video from the 1st flight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEWtwCU_hpA&feature=plcp
Nice maiden. What was your setup after dialing her in?
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:29 PM
Tricopters Rule
Joined Mar 2012
492 Posts
15mm on ailerons, 10 mm on elevator, low rates 65% and it actually flew better with low rates,15% expo.
Im reducing 1 turn on the linkage rods to kick the elevons up a little without trim.
It was a bit gusty up there today.
Im goining to move the cg back just a little right now its 9 3/8".
The Aeronaut was a 10x6 with a 38mm yoke but I am not real happy with the homemade reducing shim to take it from 8mm to 5mm.
I may put a Apc 10x6e on it but ordered 10x5e's by mistake.
I could have done a better/lighter build but this back thing has got me making lots of mistakes.
Go pro is mounted in a hacked half gopro case in a ply box ala TBS, its well protected but quite a bit lighter.
Batteries are in the stock location, Dragonlink one side/ vtx on the other wing, ET stuff in the middle.
I will never try to paint one again!! Next one is goning to be lam and a few stripes/decals for visibility.
Last edited by Panzlflyer; Sep 14, 2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:23 AM
There's magic in those wings !
Joined Nov 2006
4,706 Posts
I lost my ZII ... IRC UHF failsafed, RTH to wrong home

Hi

After 4 days of extensive search from dawn to sunset .. I finally give up .. I didn't have a video recorder ... lesson leaned ... the hard way I'm afraid ...

Since I used to over think and over do everything ... for once I told my self why not try the luxury of just having fun ... so I grabbed my ZII that is equipped with RVOSD V5, and IRC UHF R/C ...my video is on 1280mhz... with CL antenna .. and just went to the field to practice launches and get used to the ZII by flying LOS ... then I'll fly FPV after doing the range check ...

yes I didn't do a range check for the UHF R/C link .. I told my self ... hey I'm gonna fly LOS .. so no matter happens I'll still be on the safe side since since it is a long range R/C system ... I guess I was completely wrong .. and Idid a fatal mistake .. by skipping that range test ..

So short version ...

At about 200 meter from me .. while flying LOS.... .. fail-safe has kicked in .. and RTH is engaged but to a wrong home .. so the plane flew itself to another unknown destination .. I tried to switch from low power to high power on the IRC Long range transmitter .. change the antenna orientation so sometimes I regain control for few seconds then RTH to wrong destination kicks in again .. I had to switch to FPV mode I had my helmet ready .. it was a long fight ... until my ZII glided safely to unknown destination around the club where I originally flew it ..

I learned my lessons ...

1- Video recorder in the ground station is a must
2- UHF finder on the plane is a must
3-Range check before flight is a must even if it is a LRS

Now I really appreciate your advices to avoid this in the future ...

Does the 1280 mhz video not play well with UHF R/C systems ??

I had ferrite rings on CAM, VTX, 12V BEC, 5V BEC, shielded cables for cam , VTX,... Please have a look at the component layout ... for debugging ...

Thank you very much

R.I.P ZII

Khaled
khaled_abobakr is offline Find More Posts by khaled_abobakr
Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:42 AM
Tricopters Rule
Joined Mar 2012
492 Posts
Should have worked as it is.
You didnt say how much power your vtx is, some high power ones can interfere regardless of frequency.
The camera itself can put out some nasty noise.
Sorry to hear that! did you find it or is it still out there?
Old Sep 15, 2012, 08:15 AM
Joined Nov 2006
4,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzlflyer View Post
Should have worked as it is.
You didnt say how much power your vtx is, some high power ones can interfere regardless of frequency.
The camera itself can put out some nasty noise.
Sorry to hear that! did you find it or is it still out there?
Hi

Didn't find it yet ... .. the transmission power was low .. as recommended and I switched to high when I needed to regain R/C control .. but that was only for few seconds every now and then ... fail safe kicked in intermittently ...

One thing I should mention .. is that I use 1/4 wave length antennas on RX from scottu.. and this antenna from ready made rc ...

and it was oriented so it is 90 degree to the Transmitter case vertically pointing to the sky ...

PS... VTX power is 300mw on 1280 mhz with clover leaf antenna from ready made rc

total cost is around 1200 USD ...

This is my camera from securtycamera2000

Khaled
Last edited by khaled_abobakr; Sep 15, 2012 at 08:29 AM.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:02 AM
Tricopters Rule
Joined Mar 2012
492 Posts
I think I would look at the antennas for my Uhf, 300mw vtx shouldnt block you out.
Ive got the same.
Camera should be okay but again you wont know until you range check with it on and off to see if there is a difference, same for vtx.
There is always the chance that some component or another or a filter or antenna is bad or going bad.
Range checking is you only way to really find out unless you have some high dollar test equipment.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:17 AM
The way of being is doing.
Italia, Emilia Romagna, Ravenna
Joined Apr 2009
414 Posts
I have just buy my ZII. And now I'm waiting the postman... It's time to buy servos. Please, someone can tell me measures of the pre-cut servos bay ?
IMEIV is online now Find More Posts by IMEIV
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:24 AM
Joined Nov 2006
4,706 Posts
The HS-645mgs from hitec ar the recommended ones .. you can have a look at them at servo city for actual dimensions .. they just fit in nicely ...

Khaled
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:44 AM
The way of being is doing.
Italia, Emilia Romagna, Ravenna
Joined Apr 2009
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaled_abobakr View Post
The HS-645mgs from hitec ar the recommended ones .. you can have a look at them at servo city for actual dimensions .. they just fit in nicely ...

Khaled
Thanks. But they seems a little slow. Could be better HS-625MG with more speed and a torque of 5.5Kg. I think that a torque of 5.5 Kg is sufficient... ?
IMEIV is online now Find More Posts by IMEIV