HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 02, 2012, 02:24 AM
Mt Tamborine, Queensland, Australia
Joined May 2008
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyn View Post
Ok, lam'ing went well with no wrinkles! Not bad for the my first go at it!

Also thought I'd share pics of my light-weight battery box, GoPro safety strap, & a tiny aero mod to help smooth the air traveling over the GoPro made from the removed nose foam.
Thanks for posting those pics, gave me some extra ideas on mount safety for the gro pro. I've run out of 3M 77 so gotta get another can of spray contact so I can finish the centre section laminating.
tobermei is offline Find More Posts by tobermei
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2012, 05:37 AM
United Kingdom, England, Cambs
Joined Jun 2009
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobermei View Post
Thanks for posting those pics, gave me some extra ideas on mount safety for the gro pro. I've run out of 3M 77 so gotta get another can of spray contact so I can finish the centre section laminating.
No worries, do share too won't you, would be interesting to see your solution.

I was amazed by just how much strength & stiffness the lam provides.

I just checked the glue I put on last night & I noticed that the goop I used to stick on the aero mod on the rear of the gopro had seeped into the foam & eaten it!! I thought I'd sealed the piece properly but obviously not, so if you use goop to stick on the winglets & skids be very careful as it could properly trash your ZII. Think, squidgy marsh mallow & you got it.
flyn is offline Find More Posts by flyn
Last edited by flyn; Jul 02, 2012 at 06:15 AM.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 01:30 PM
Joined Jun 2009
101 Posts
Just finished the build, whoop whoop!

I managed to replace the melted foam wedge behind the gopro, so that worked out.

All I gotta do now is test & program the systems, can anyone tell me if their Ritewing 65a ESC (blue) has a gentle start or just kicks in suddenly about 20% throttle like mine does?

I've also setup my elavons for 15mm ailerons up & down, & 10mm elevator up & down with a few clicks of reflex, I did this with the travel adjust settings (60% ail, 43% ele), did I do this right?

Thanks
Last edited by flyn; Jul 02, 2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 01:34 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,604 Posts
Quote:

All I gotta do now is test & program the systems, can anyone tell me if their Ritewing 65a ESC (blue) has a gentle start or just kicks in suddenly about 20% throttle like mine does?

I've also setup my elavons for 15mm ailerons up & down, & 10mm elevator up & down with a few clicks of reflex, I did this with the travel adjust settings (60% ail, 43% ele), did I do this right?

Thanks
Starts up at a smaller throttle % than 20 for me. Still need to go to 3/4 to launch it.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Jul 02, 2012, 01:38 PM
Norway
Joined Aug 2011
244 Posts
Quote:

I managed to replace the melted foam wedge behind the gopro, so that worked out.

Thanks
Sounds like you need to calibrate it, just unplug the esc, set full throttle, start esc, then set throttle to minimum. then the esc should know when it's 100% throttle and 0%. correct me if im wrong
Bauf is offline Find More Posts by Bauf
Old Jul 02, 2012, 01:48 PM
Joined Jun 2009
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Starts up at a smaller throttle % than 20 for me. Still need to go to 3/4 to launch it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauf View Post
Sounds like you need to calibrate it, just unplug the esc, set full throttle, start esc, then set throttle to minimum. then the esc should know when it's 100% throttle and 0%. correct me if im wrong
Thanks for the replies, appreciate it.

When the wind & rain decide to let us have a summer here I'll maiden the ZII, & launch as you suggest, 3/4 throttle.

@ Bauf, I did try to calibrate it at full throttle, it Beeped twice & I shut the throttle to zero, do you think I need to have another go?
Old Jul 02, 2012, 01:49 PM
Mt Tamborine, Queensland, Australia
Joined May 2008
756 Posts
Quote:
No worries, do share too won't you, would be interesting to see your solution.
Sure.
tobermei is offline Find More Posts by tobermei
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:52 AM
Joined Jul 2009
5 Posts
That's my recent flight on ZII in high wind conditions.

FPV — Church of the Intercession on Nerl / Церковь Покрова на Нерли (2 min 35 sec)
refrasher is offline Find More Posts by refrasher
Old Jul 03, 2012, 11:43 PM
Joined Nov 2010
108 Posts
sorry please disregard
whosthebaddest is offline Find More Posts by whosthebaddest
Last edited by whosthebaddest; Jul 04, 2012 at 12:01 AM.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 08:28 AM
Joined Jun 2007
11 Posts
Hi Guys, I have just finished reading this whole thread!! (Not all in one go I might add!!)

I am building my Zii now, and have a question for you. I am installing a TBS battery tray, and I am going to fit a captive nut into the base of it for a bungee hook, should I ever need it if I don't get on with hand launching.

What is the ideal measurement of a bungee hook in front of the CofG?

I know I have read it in this thread, but it is a long read to find it again!!

Cheers guys, Rob.
RCTinTin is offline Find More Posts by RCTinTin
Old Jul 05, 2012, 10:05 AM
Joined Aug 2011
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCTinTin View Post
Hi Guys, I have just finished reading this whole thread!! (Not all in one go I might add!!)

I am building my Zii now, and have a question for you. I am installing a TBS battery tray, and I am going to fit a captive nut into the base of it for a bungee hook, should I ever need it if I don't get on with hand launching.

What is the ideal measurement of a bungee hook in front of the CofG?

I know I have read it in this thread, but it is a long read to find it again!!

Cheers guys, Rob.
My bungee hook is 5 3/4" forward of the CG (black line) but the wire actually penetrates the battery bay (two black circles to the left of the Velcro) at about 3 3/8" from the CG line.

The ends of the hook are glued in with Gorilla glue and the hook is tape to the bottom.

Here are a couple of pictures of my hook.

Vince
Last edited by Eagle202; Jul 05, 2012 at 10:06 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Jul 05, 2012, 05:18 PM
Joined Jun 2007
11 Posts
Thanks for that. Do you find she lifts OK with the bungee there? It looks very close to the nose, is this OK?

Sorry for the questions, but I have never used a bungee before.
RCTinTin is offline Find More Posts by RCTinTin
Last edited by RCTinTin; Jul 05, 2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 06:48 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Oct 2005
2,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobermei View Post
Hey Tobermei,

I would love to come fly with you up the Mtn sometime when you get your Z2 going.. mine will hopefully be up n going next week.
Planning on doing some proximity style runs down the Glasshouse Mtns once its sorted

Chris.
NutBag is online now Find More Posts by NutBag
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2012, 06:52 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Oct 2005
2,106 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for that. Do you find she lifts OK with the bungee there? It looks very close to the nose, is this OK?

Gliders use hooks just infront of the CG, But they will try and rotate on launch and gain alt.. like you generally want with a glider, but only good if you can steer it on the way up with rudder etc.
But for a wing like this you want more of a "slingshot" style launch as you only want airspeed so the hook further forward is best.

Chris.
NutBag is online now Find More Posts by NutBag
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2012, 07:19 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,604 Posts
Quote:

Here is a video of my non powered test flight. While there were a couple in the middle that did not go far the first and last did pretty good without having a prop.

RiteWing ZII Non-powered Maiden tests 1 to 3.wmv (0 min 51 sec)