SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 30, 2012, 04:23 AM
United States, FL, Spring Hill
Joined Jun 2011
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_A View Post
Iv sees picutres of people doing it both ways, but what is the proper way to mount the elevons?

they can create 90 degree angel or if i turn them upside down they get an angel into the wing

Attachment 4975602
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=5sdvJB6qN8E
LostLarry is offline Find More Posts by LostLarry
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2012, 05:06 AM
T_A
Joined Dec 2010
18 Posts
Thanks for not answering an A or B question and instead giving a link to a video that

a) does not even mention what i asked
b) is too out of focus to to see clearly
c) i`v already seen (well , you cant know that one )
d) assume iv seen all videos on youtube regarding this, they are not conclusive and each person does it different.
T_A is offline Find More Posts by T_A
Old Jun 30, 2012, 05:09 AM
never mind the boll⁣⁣⁣ocks
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2010
1,256 Posts
you want the eleveons attached so they allow the most down movement ie: not angles into the gap
brosius85 is offline Find More Posts by brosius85
Old Jun 30, 2012, 05:16 AM
T_A
Joined Dec 2010
18 Posts
Thanks brosius , ill take your opinion as the conclusive answer considering your pretty much a z2 expert...

and off i go , cutting awaits!
T_A is offline Find More Posts by T_A
Old Jun 30, 2012, 05:21 AM
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2010
1,256 Posts
im not an expert. but i have built a few z's and destroyed one too.... :P
Old Jun 30, 2012, 05:28 AM
Norway
Joined Feb 2012
85 Posts
A new video. Made with the Z2 of course The best FPV plane out there!

9 Months of FPV Flying - Awolnation - Sail (remix) (5 min 49 sec)
RemiWM is offline Find More Posts by RemiWM
Old Jun 30, 2012, 05:57 AM
United Kingdom, England, Cambs
Joined Jun 2009
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobermei View Post
I'm positioning mine straight ahead but with a mount that will enable me to angle it downward if required.

I've also finished 3/4 of the laminating and it wasn't all that difficult after all. I was concerned that the heat of the iron might cause problems with the foam melting but that didn't end up being a problem. I tested to see how firmly the laminate adheres on one of the wing tip ends and it's holding very firmly.
Cool sounds like a good idea, you fancy sharing some pics?

About to start my lam'ing, fingers crossed!
flyn is offline Find More Posts by flyn
Old Jun 30, 2012, 11:07 PM
Michael W.
United States, TN, Cleveland
Joined Nov 2011
129 Posts
Z2 RTH/Stabilization

Guys, I need some advice. I am heavily in favor of flying these birds the old fashioned way, but I want to add some features like RTH and stabilization just as a measure of safety. In that case, has anyone had any experience using EagleTree, Ruby, APM2, or other gps/gyro/airspeed sensor based stabilization/AutoPilot system?

I have searched the threads, but cannot find anything to help me choose. I am leaning towards trying the ruby system, but It seems less tested than the others... what do you think?? Thanks ahead of time!
wootenelli is offline Find More Posts by wootenelli
Old Jun 30, 2012, 11:10 PM
N00b
Boise
Joined Mar 2009
974 Posts
broke my 3rd zephyr today... i don't wth happened, i launched it off a steep hill and it just decided upside down is better and I pulled up into a steep hill...

1st zephyr 1 (i built it so bad it was trash then the ZII came out)
2nd zephyr (powerline snap in half)
3rd zephyr (goes upside down and rams into hill)

i want to swear a lot but this stupid forum won't let me.
dr_patso is offline Find More Posts by dr_patso
Old Jun 30, 2012, 11:14 PM
Certified RPAS Instructor
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wootenelli View Post
Guys, I need some advice. I am heavily in favor of flying these birds the old fashioned way, but I want to add some features like RTH and stabilization just as a measure of safety. In that case, has anyone had any experience using EagleTree, Ruby, APM2, or other gps/gyro/airspeed sensor based stabilization/AutoPilot system?

I have searched the threads, but cannot find anything to help me choose. I am leaning towards trying the ruby system, but It seems less tested than the others... what do you think?? Thanks ahead of time!
I am right in the middle of installing Ruby in my first Z2. I know there is not a lot of info out there - but that's what I like about it. Exciting!
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 30, 2012, 11:50 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2010
1,256 Posts
there is a fair bit actually mongrel

http://www.fpvmanuals.com/2011/04/24...a-zephyr-wing/

tim has done all the hard work for you
Old Jul 01, 2012, 12:08 AM
Certified RPAS Instructor
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,755 Posts
Yep - I know. I have been working with Jim from UThere as I get mine built.

There is some preconfig available from UThere, so it's not a crusade into the unknown - but still not completely mainstream yet was what I mean.
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2012, 08:22 AM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Aug 2007
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wootenelli View Post

This may help. It's more for OSDs vs just flight stab, but it lines everything up nicely for side by side comparison. Oh and I don't think it has ruby, but you could always add that.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...jg&output=html
superevan is online now Find More Posts by superevan
Old Jul 01, 2012, 08:45 AM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2011
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_A View Post
Iv sees picutres of people doing it both ways, but what is the proper way to mount the elevons?

they can create 90 degree angel or if i turn them upside down they get an angel into the wing

Attachment 4975602
From your diagram "B" is the proper way to mount them. But the throws needed for the ZII are very small and if you mount them upside down it really wont matter. Youll still have more then enough motion in either direction.
ronrob61 is offline Find More Posts by ronrob61
Old Jul 01, 2012, 05:02 PM
United Kingdom, England, Cambs
Joined Jun 2009
101 Posts
Ok, lam'ing went well with no wrinkles! Not bad for the my first go at it! However I did struggle a little with the length of lam supplied, most likely I left too much extra each side while I was cutting the pieces for the wings, so be warned cut precisely & you shouldn't go wrong I guess.

I gotta say I love the RiteWing elevon hinges, so simple, so quick, so effective!!

Here's my ZII lam'ed & ready for the finishing touches, cameras, control rods & hatches. I did find that the carbon effect vinyl looses detail under the laminate, would work best with just plain colours. I put it under the lam with 3m77 as I didn't want it undressing itself at 80mph!

Name: photo.jpg
Views: 169
Size: 210.5 KB
Description: Freshly Lam'ed ZII, carbon effect vinyl looses detail under lam.

I lam'd as Ron suggests, top of the wing first, then bottom with the overlap on the top leading edge, the Z came out as straight as an arrow & you can't even see the join!! Top advice!

Also thought I'd share pics of my light-weight battery box, GoPro safety strap, & a tiny aero mod to help smooth the air traveling over the GoPro made from the removed nose foam.

Name: photo2.jpg
Views: 161
Size: 253.4 KB
Description: Battery box with cut-out & recess for ET Guardian. Name: photo1.jpg
Views: 173
Size: 294.9 KB
Description: Zip-Tie safety strap glued into the foam - don't want to loose my GoPro!! Name: photo3.jpg
Views: 159
Size: 247.1 KB
Description: Aero-mod for GoPro made from the removed nose foam.
flyn is offline Find More Posts by flyn
Last edited by flyn; Jul 02, 2012 at 12:40 PM.