HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:07 AM
Leicester, UK
Joined Sep 2010
106 Posts
Having fun on the beach with my ZII

Ritewing Zephyr II - FPV Flying around Sandy Hills Beach - Dumfries & Galloway Scotland (3 min 32 sec)
mjc1970 is offline Find More Posts by mjc1970
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:24 AM
Joined Nov 2011
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyn View Post
Gents, just wondering if you'd mind helping me position my electronics?

I've been away for over a week & little has happened with my build since my last post - I've cut out & covered my elevons & thats about it.

I'm gonna setup for short/med range FPV for now with a view to possibly getting a UHF system at a future date. I've not cut any holes yet & have roughly set my VTX midway out on the plane's left wing with my GPS unit countering it midway out on the plane's right wing, I've also got an extension cable for the RC satellite RX so I can stick it right out on the left wingtip at a 90 orientation to however I mount my main RX (yeah, I know it's Spektrum & how a lot of people hate it etc etc. but its all I've got at the moment I'm afraid). My Eagletree OSD, logger, Guardian, & RX BEC live in the electronics bay, so there's pretty much no room in there. I'm also running a separate 1000mah 3s VTX lipo thats not pictured, where does everyone else mount their VTX packs if they use one?

My issue is how should I mount my main RC RX so I don't have to cut another hole for a UHF when I eventually splash out for one? Should I switch the positions of my GPS unit & RX, or am I missing something else?

Some advice would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Attachment 4955870
I'm also running full ETOsd check out my build on fpvlab.com

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?5733-FM-Z2
freshmint is offline Find More Posts by freshmint
Last edited by freshmint; Jun 23, 2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 12:24 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acorns View Post
Interesting! I didn't realize that was what all of this "outside" mounting talk was about. Looks like all I have to do is unscrew it and swap sides too. If it is enough, it will make my CG issues really easy to deal with. Thanks!
The only difference between inside and outside mounting is the motor shaft that the prop attaches to.

I have the 1200kv Ritewing motor mounted on the inside. The 5mm motor shaft is where I mount my prop.

If I swapped it to the outside I would need to attach the prop adapter that came with my motor. Depending on the hole size in your prop it may or may not fit the shaft diameter of the adapter.

If you have any issues ask for help. There is a lot of good advice and help from people on this thread.

Vince
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Jun 23, 2012, 12:57 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshmint View Post
I'm also running full ETOsd check out my build on fpvlab.com

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?5733-FM-Z2
Freshmint

I went to your build thread on FPV. Man all I can say is that you did a really great job of showing the build details with your photos. I am really impressed with your organizational skills. As for how you fly!!!

Only kidding. Great job on the build photos and flying.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Jun 23, 2012, 03:37 PM
KISS
Joined Oct 2009
1,216 Posts
Guys, one question. I'm thinking of going single 4s 3000/3300mAh battery instead of dual. Looks too me like dual battery setup is leaving batteries unequally discharged resulting in too low voltage in some of the cells.
So, what could be average expected crusing flight time with 1x3000mAh 4S setup?
hefest is offline Find More Posts by hefest
Old Jun 23, 2012, 03:47 PM
"Chuck Yeager"
Bradenton FL
Joined Apr 2010
842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hefest View Post
Guys, one question. I'm thinking of going single 4s 3000/3300mAh battery instead of dual. Looks too me like dual battery setup is leaving batteries unequally discharged resulting in too low voltage in some of the cells.
Maybe 10min, I get around 25min flight times with 2x 4000mah's

I use 2x 4000mah 4s in paralell in my ZII and in my trex 700e I run 2 x 5000mah 6s in series and never have any issues with packs unequally discharged in either setup.
hotdog1 is offline Find More Posts by hotdog1
Last edited by hotdog1; Jun 23, 2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 04:09 PM
Skint since 2000
Reading, United Kingdom
Joined Oct 2008
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Where do you get that impression?
If there in parallel there's no way they can discharge unequally.
ghost2212 is offline Find More Posts by ghost2212
Old Jun 23, 2012, 04:29 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Aug 2007
353 Posts
Quote:
Flight time aside, that will not be enough weight to balance cg. Unless you plan on 400 or so extra grams of electronics in the nose, aside from a gopro and case, flight can, skids and camera housing.
superevan is offline Find More Posts by superevan
Old Jun 23, 2012, 04:32 PM
KISS
Joined Oct 2009
1,216 Posts
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost2212 View Post
Where do you get that impression?
If there in parallel there's no way they can discharge unequally.
Well they do, all the time. Both pairs are nano-tech, one is set is 2x3000mAh 4S and the other is 2x3300mAh 4S. I already had to replace one of the batteries. When I discharge it to around 3.75V per cell there is always one of the cells that gives up earlier and discharges more.

I'm using these packs in bigger and heaving wing, 1.68cm wingspan 3.2kg Hercules, and getting around 15min of semi-aggressive flying or 20-25min of cruising around but with less efficient twin motor tractor setup.

My guess is I could get around the same flight times with one 4S setup in Zephyr.
One motor pusher with bigger prop and significantly less weight should improve the flight time.

Did anyone try smaller battery packs like 2x3S 2200-2500mAh ?
Old Jun 23, 2012, 04:32 PM
KISS
Joined Oct 2009
1,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by superevan View Post
Flight time aside, that will not be enough weight to balance cg. Unless you plan on 400 or so extra grams of electronics in the nose, aside from a gopro and case, flight can, skids and camera housing.
That's something to think about, thanks.
I could push the motor mount a bit forward.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 04:36 PM
Skint since 2000
Reading, United Kingdom
Joined Oct 2008
1,497 Posts
Quote:
:

Well they do, all the time. Both pairs are nano-tech, one is set is 2x3000mAh 4S and the other is 2x3300mAh 4S. I already had to replace one of the batteries. When I discharge it to around 3.75V per cell there is always one of the cells that gives up earlier and discharges more.

I'm using these packs in bigger and heaving wing, 1.68cm wingspan 3.2kg Hercules, and getting around 15min of semi-aggressive flying or 20-25min of cruising around but with less efficient twin motor tractor setup.

My guess is I could get around the same flight times with one 4S setup in Zephyr.
One motor pusher with bigger prop and significantly less weight should improve the flight time.

Did anyone try smaller battery packs like 2x3S 2200-2500mAh ?
If the packs arent matched properly that will happen even when there not in parallel.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 04:39 PM
KISS
Joined Oct 2009
1,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost2212 View Post
If the packs arent matched properly that will happen even when there not in parallel.
What do you mean by matched properly?
Its the same battery pack, same capacity, from the same manufacturer with identical look and bought at the same time. How else could one "match it up properly"?
Old Jun 23, 2012, 04:41 PM
KISS
Joined Oct 2009
1,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by superevan View Post
I actually thought about configure it to be able to fly with both battery setups, 1 and 2 batteries, by changing the way motor is mounted (before and after motor mount) and possibly adding some weight to the nose if necessary, but that sounds like less possible to pull out.

PS: Take a look at this post.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 04:44 PM
Skint since 2000
Reading, United Kingdom
Joined Oct 2008
1,497 Posts
Quote:
What do you mean by matched properly?
Its the same battery pack, same capacity, from the same manufacturer with identical look and bought at the same time. How else could one "match it up properly"?
If the cells in the individual packs aren't matched properly then they will still do the same thing even when not in parallel.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 04:44 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Aug 2007
353 Posts
Quote:
That's something to think about, thanks.
I could push the motor mount a bit forward.
No problem! In fact I have 2 3s 3000mah turnigy with motor inside motor mount and, with no gopro or camera pod still have to add 350g dumb weight to the nose. Needless to say, I got a gopro
superevan is offline Find More Posts by superevan