HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2012, 03:05 PM
never mind the boll⁣⁣⁣ocks
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2010
1,256 Posts
just to clarify i used 1 piece of lam for the bottom and 1 for the top, but only heated a small patch at a time. it comes out as straight as an arrow.

i tried the "warp it one way then warp it back" on my IYF and it was a disaster lol - it looked like a bannana

i guess you need to be really good to get that way to work
brosius85 is offline Find More Posts by brosius85
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2012, 05:12 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,785 Posts
I do 3 pieces or more always, it makes for a much more true plane.
It keeps schrinkcage and warpage to a minimum and makes it much easier , you cant even see the 6 mm overlaps .
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Jun 18, 2012, 08:53 AM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2011
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by klique View Post
I do 3 pieces or more always, it makes for a much more true plane.
It keeps schrinkcage and warpage to a minimum and makes it much easier , you cant even see the 6 mm overlaps .
3 pieces is the way to go. one for each wing and one down the center. Lamming the top of the wing first, then the bottom. comes out perfectly str8 and tru every time. for some reason same lamming process but doing the bottom first leaves a slight curve to the final product
ronrob61 is offline Find More Posts by ronrob61
Old Jun 18, 2012, 09:02 AM
Joined Nov 2011
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
I had a similar problem. This was the first laminating job I have done. I thought my Hanger 9 iron has temperature settings on the dial. It only had the numbers 1 to 5.

Not having the experience with laminating as well as not having a way to properly set my temperature made it a little difficult to get an even smooth surface. I could tell when it was too hot but until it cooled and wrinkled I couldn't tell when it was not hot enough so I just went back over those areas again.

For future lamination jobs I plan to get a temperature gun and to practice practice practice.
on the Hanger 9 iron with dial 1 - 5. set it to 3. start there and if not quite hot enough go to 3.5. Ive burned up 3 of the hanger 9 irons cause I use them alot but the temp settings on them seems to be pretty consistant. so far 3 - 3.5 has worked perfect on 4 of the Irons of gone thru.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:01 AM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronrob61 View Post
on the Hanger 9 iron with dial 1 - 5. set it to 3. start there and if not quite hot enough go to 3.5. Ive burned up 3 of the hanger 9 irons cause I use them alot but the temp settings on them seems to be pretty consistant. so far 3 - 3.5 has worked perfect on 4 of the Irons of gone thru.
That helps. Thanks for the info.
Eagle202 is online now Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:49 AM
Norway
Joined Feb 2012
85 Posts
My latest film with my Z2:
Z2 FPV June Compilation - GoPro Breaks (4 min 17 sec)
RemiWM is offline Find More Posts by RemiWM
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:57 AM
Team Higher Than The Clouds
United States, NY, New York
Joined May 2012
168 Posts
HI, if i am going to apply a carbon fiber vinyl to the plane, do i need to lam it first?
Thanks
Techmeister is offline Find More Posts by Techmeister
Old Jun 18, 2012, 03:10 PM
Michael W.
United States, TN, Cleveland
Joined Nov 2011
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techmeister View Post
HI, if i am going to apply a carbon fiber vinyl to the plane, do i need to lam it first?
Thanks
I'd say no...the purpose of the lam is to protect the foam and to provide strength for the wing...the 3m carbon vinyl would do both of those, and do them well from what everyone is saying on here. I would probably ask some of the guys if they are using 3m spray to adhere the vinyl first, but no, don't lam it first....
wootenelli is offline Find More Posts by wootenelli
Old Jun 18, 2012, 05:41 PM
Team Higher Than The Clouds
United States, NY, New York
Joined May 2012
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wootenelli View Post
I'd say no...the purpose of the lam is to protect the foam and to provide strength for the wing...the 3m carbon vinyl would do both of those, and do them well from what everyone is saying on here. I would probably ask some of the guys if they are using 3m spray to adhere the vinyl first, but no, don't lam it first....
Thanks, just what i wanted to hear

To "some of the guys" do you think i should use 3m spray (77) on the wing then use the ALREADY ADHESIVE backing on the vinyl or not use the 3m spray.

Thanks
Techmeister is offline Find More Posts by Techmeister
Old Jun 18, 2012, 06:07 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,785 Posts
Hi ,have you read the pdf directions?
I would do the same as you would for lam .
Quote:

To "some of the guys" do you think i should use 3m spray (77) on the wing then use the ALREADY ADHESIVE backing on the vinyl or not use the 3m spray.

Thanks
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Last edited by klique; Jun 18, 2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 06:53 PM
Certified RPAS Instructor
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,787 Posts
Quote:

Thanks
YES! Spray the 77 first. The vinyl has a sticky back but not enough to hold, and over a short space of time with the wing flexing, it will let go.

I have started and once you spray the 77 and then lay the vinyl, it sticks really well.

No - I didn't lam it either.
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 19, 2012, 01:46 AM
never mind the boll⁣⁣⁣ocks
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2010
1,256 Posts
i think the lam is a good idea under the carbon vinyl. it is a big strength component

depends how you fly really :/
brosius85 is offline Find More Posts by brosius85
Old Jun 19, 2012, 01:53 AM
Certified RPAS Instructor
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,787 Posts
Yeah man. If you are going to be pulling some serious Gs, then it might be worth it. But if you are going to be doing general purpose FPV, then not really needed I reckon.

Heck - I have a wing that has a few strategically placed strips of packaging tape and that's all! And it flies OK - when I am not bouncing it!! LOL!!
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:22 PM
Joined Nov 2011
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brosius85 View Post
i think the lam is a good idea under the carbon vinyl. it is a big strength component

I agree, the carbon fiber isnt gonna give you the nice stiffness that you get from the lam. Im about to start a new custom build. The customers wants the carbon fiber look. Im going to lam the entire wing as I usually would but then place enough carbon fiber over it to give it the rt look. Ill post some pics as the build begins.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:53 PM
Michael W.
United States, TN, Cleveland
Joined Nov 2011
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brosius85 View Post

do you think that because of the new foam on the z2 that it is not as big of a factor in stiffness?? I bow to you on this one considering i never fly over 60kph....
wootenelli is offline Find More Posts by wootenelli