HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2012, 07:25 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,784 Posts
Nope not yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard1287 View Post
CK, any word on the split wing zephyr? I remember hearing something about a revolutionary strong/light wing joiner in the works
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:34 PM
Mt Tamborine, Queensland, Australia
Joined May 2008
756 Posts
Applying the laminate. Ready to apply, read the instructions, it said to use hobby iron at 225 degrees. I'm a bit concerned with how hot this is. To check my iron, I used a temp probe that I use when heating / frothing my coffee milk, it sits in the steaming jug and gives me the milk temp. I held this against my hobby iron, which has a dial with 3 settings, 1 - low, 2 - med, 3 - high. At about 2.5 is the hottest I've ever used it with solarfilm and at that stage the thermometer was showing 190 degrees.

So, 225 is hotter than I've ever used for solarfilm. I'm concerned about melting the epo foam. Any guidance? Or videos that show it being applied?

thanks
tobermei is offline Find More Posts by tobermei
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:36 PM
Certified RPAS Instructor
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobermei View Post
Applying the laminate. Ready to apply, read the instructions, it said to use hobby iron at 225 degrees. I'm a bit concerned with how hot this is. To check my iron, I used a temp probe that I use when heating / frothing my coffee milk, it sits in the steaming jug and gives me the milk temp. I held this against my hobby iron, which has a dial with 3 settings, 1 - low, 2 - med, 3 - high. At about 2.5 is the hottest I've ever used it with solarfilm and at that stage the thermometer was showing 190 degrees.

So, 225 is hotter than I've ever used for solarfilm. I'm concerned about melting the epo foam. Any guidance? Or videos that show it being applied?

thanks
Do you have any bits of the foam that you have cut out for your bits? Get a piece and try it??

If not... Just don't hold the iron on the one spot for too long. Keep it moving and check it with your hand to make sure its not getting overly.
The_Mongrel is online now Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:32 PM
never mind the boll⁣⁣⁣ocks
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2010
1,256 Posts
he probably means 225 f , not 225 c

if you are afraid then start at mid temp and work your way up if it does not stick
brosius85 is offline Find More Posts by brosius85
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:56 PM
Joined May 2008
756 Posts
I was measuring 190 f, not Celsius, thanks for the comments guys,

can't wait to post the pictures, this thing is so bright with the fluro paints (yellow bottom, orange top) that it hurts to look at it in the sun
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:27 PM
Joined May 2008
756 Posts
Does the ritewing laminate shrink? Similar to how solarfilm shrinks?
Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:33 AM
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2010
1,256 Posts
it does shrink a little, not as much as monokote, not sure about solarfilm.

best idea is to laminate a patch at a time, letting it cool as you go. if the whole wing is heated up at once it will warp the wing as it cools down.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 02:11 AM
Post # 20 million
Joined Aug 2009
2,636 Posts
Quote:
Does the ritewing laminate shrink? Similar to how solarfilm shrinks?
Lam doesn't shrink anywhere near as much as solar film. The hardest part to lam(for me) was the concave curve at the center section.
Kev.au is offline Find More Posts by Kev.au
Old Jun 14, 2012, 08:12 AM
"Chuck Yeager"
Bradenton FL
Joined Apr 2010
842 Posts
I found it worked best at around 235F- 250F as I was using it the iron would cool down and I would have to wait a minuet untill it heated back up I found once it got below 230F it did not stick as good
hotdog1 is offline Find More Posts by hotdog1
Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:28 AM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdog1 View Post
I found it worked best at around 235F- 250F as I was using it the iron would cool down and I would have to wait a minuet untill it heated back up I found once it got below 230F it did not stick as good
I had a similar problem. This was the first laminating job I have done. I thought my Hanger 9 iron has temperature settings on the dial. It only had the numbers 1 to 5.

Not having the experience with laminating as well as not having a way to properly set my temperature made it a little difficult to get an even smooth surface. I could tell when it was too hot but until it cooled and wrinkled I couldn't tell when it was not hot enough so I just went back over those areas again.

For future lamination jobs I plan to get a temperature gun and to practice practice practice.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Jun 14, 2012, 06:43 PM
Joined May 2008
756 Posts
For those FPV pilots in Australia, here's a notice to be aware of. This came to the club secretary of the flying club I'm in.

Dear Secretaries,

CASA has contacted MAAA to forewarn that they intend to prosecute a number of members of the public who have been found to be operating FPVs outside the CASA Regulations.

CASA will also embark on an education program regarding the operation of FPVs, aimed at the public. This may include a request for MAAA assistance, given our support after the incident in Perth with a park flyer a couple of years ago.

You may wish to pass this information down to your clubs.

Regards

Kevin Dodd
MAAA Secretary
Old Jun 16, 2012, 09:11 PM
Team Higher Than The Clouds
United States, NY, New York
Joined May 2012
168 Posts
Hi, i have a Lawmate 1w tx and DL, i have them all fitted into the wing of the ZII but was wondering how to secure them to the wing. Keep in mind that i might want to take them out later. Thanks
Techmeister is offline Find More Posts by Techmeister
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:22 AM
Certified RPAS Instructor
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,741 Posts
Quote:
For those FPV pilots in Australia, here's a notice to be aware of. This came to the club secretary of the flying club I'm in.

Dear Secretaries,

CASA has contacted MAAA to forewarn that they intend to prosecute a number of members of the public who have been found to be operating FPVs outside the CASA Regulations.

CASA will also embark on an education program regarding the operation of FPVs, aimed at the public. This may include a request for MAAA assistance, given our support after the incident in Perth with a park flyer a couple of years ago.

You may wish to pass this information down to your clubs.

Regards

Kevin Dodd
MAAA Secretary

Mate - really - Give it a rest.
The_Mongrel is online now Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 17, 2012, 02:25 AM
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2010
1,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techmeister View Post
Hi, i have a Lawmate 1w tx and DL, i have them all fitted into the wing of the ZII but was wondering how to secure them to the wing. Keep in mind that i might want to take them out later. Thanks
hotglue zipties and velcro

either hotglue the item to the foam, or hot glue a strip of velcro or ziptie to the foam, then secure.

be careful making it too easy to remove though. it may come off in a crash and never be found

i like my Vtx strapped down with zipties and swimming in hotglue

for the Rx i have hotglued velcro, and also under a taped down lid for a bit of weather resistance. the Vtx needs airflow though
Old Jun 17, 2012, 08:41 AM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2011
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brosius85 View Post
it does shrink a little, not as much as monokote, not sure about solarfilm.

best idea is to laminate a patch at a time, letting it cool as you go. if the whole wing is heated up at once it will warp the wing as it cools down.
Being the ARF builder for Ritewing Ive covered at least 50 ZIIs. I have to disagree with laming a patch at a time. It defeats the purpose of adding even tensile strength to the wing and if using a heat iron hot enough to adhear the lam it will melt the foam if it comes in direct contact.
Warping the wing is an issue but not if the lam is applied properly. I use 3 sections of lam per side, top and bottom. one for each wing and one down the center section using a hanger 9 iron set at about 3.5.
Lam the TOP of the wing first. Each wing, then the center section. When done with the top the wing will have a deff bow to it. Then flip the wing over and lam the bottom using the same technique. Applying the lam to the bottom will pull the wing back to str8. dont know why but this only works if you lam the top first. Lamming the bottom first leaves a slight bow to the wing even after doing the top
ronrob61 is offline Find More Posts by ronrob61